Britain's Royal Navy warships are breaking down because sea is too hot

webfact

Britain's Royal Navy warships are breaking down because sea is too hot
Bianca Britton, for CNN

(CNN)Britain's £1bn ($1.4bn) warships are losing power in the Persian Gulf because they cannot cope with the warm waters, MPs have been told.

Six Type 45 destroyers have repeatedly experienced power outages because of the temperatures, leaving servicemen in complete darkness.

During the Defence Committee hearing on Tuesday, MPs questioned company executives about the warship failures.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2016/06/09/europe/britain-royal-navy-warships/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2016-06-10

Quote : "There's something wrong with our bloody ships"

Someone leaving the magazines open again? And purely to speed up the reloading.

RIP Jutland, 100 years ago... brave men and boys, every single one of them.

Edited by NumbNut

"We need global stability, and historically the Navy has provided that."

Sounds disingenuous to me, or at least colonial thinking. It's not abundantly clear what the Navy is actually achieving with these destroyers that is worth the cost. Would be interested in some discussion on this.

The UK had better not take their "Not Quite Ready For Combat" ships to the middle east then.Who is building their ships for them ? Thailand ? A first world country with a third world navy and going down hill.

quote: "Navy going down hill"------ don't understand how you do that bit cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The UK had better not take their "Not Quite Ready For Combat" ships to the middle east then.Who is building their ships for them ? Thailand ? A first world country with a third world navy and going down hill.

quote: "Navy going down hill"------ don't understand how you do that bit cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Droll. clap2.gif

Well, the surface of the oceans is not flat. There are some 100 m "holes" or depressions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoid

Well, the surface of the oceans is not flat. There are some 100 m "holes" or depressions.

Hence the term 'Mean Sea Level' taking into account the tides

Edited by NumbNut

Stop buying Chinese trading partners crap, HEY now you have a Muslim mayor you can buy cheap Russian technology.

I BET all the countries the UK COLONIZED IN HISTORY wish that would of happen 200 years ago, TEACH UK, and FRENCH to slice up the OTTOMAN Empire after WWI.

OK correction " Navy Going Under" and not via submarines.

now, what is it in a ship that cannot handle the temperature of the seawater ? Would be nice to know TV.

Power outages were mentioned.... I would suspect that there are increased issues maintaining a cool internal climate, which uses more power, (quality equipment needs to be in a cool environment), leading to overloaded power demands and subsequent shutdowns.

Amongst other things (that others in the known, might suggest.... Any engineers?)

Stop buying Chinese trading partners crap, HEY now you have a Muslim mayor you can buy cheap Russian technology.

I BET all the countries the UK COLONIZED IN HISTORY wish that would of happen 200 years ago, TEACH UK, and FRENCH to slice up the OTTOMAN Empire after WWI.

I am sure the US could have colonized a few places 200 years ago if they hadn't have been so busy using ships for slaves, masterminding the genocide of the indigenous people and then fighting amongst themselves. Still they seem to be making up for lost time now.

Seems this case will have to go to court as it looks like liability all hinges on the definition of "The operating profile at the time was that there would not be repeated or continuous operations in the Gulf"

LOL.... 200 years ago the US was barely more than a colony itself.... But even so, as a new country, which admittedly used slaved ( like most places did), America did not really use their own boats for slaving, bar a scant few exceptions.... The slave traders were Portuguese, British, French , Spanish and Dutch. (Ranked here in volume of trade)

But I reckon your 100% correct with your second paragraph.

As to A. Al.... I doubt he really thought through his comment, critisizing the carving up of an enemy empire (by the League of Nations)... When the alternative was what? To leave that empire as an intact enemy???

A Muslim mayor? Of the U.K? You're getting confused with London, which might be a port, but not for the RN.

And considering how many of those ex-colonies are far ahead of the so-say non-colonised countries, especially from an economic standpoint, I doubt too many would be looking back 200 years.

Hence the term 'Mean Sea Level' taking into account the tides

These are gravity holes and hills. Where there is a dense rock mass under the seabed this extra gravity pull will create a "hill" on the ocean surface.

I am sure the US could have colonized a few places 200 years ago if they hadn't have been so busy using ships for slaves, masterminding the genocide of the indigenous people and then fighting amongst themselves. Still they seem to be making up for lost time now.

Seems this case will have to go to court as it looks like liability all hinges on the definition of "The operating profile at the time was that there would not be repeated or continuous operations in the Gulf"

Do you not know that it was British ships that first brought slaves to the colonies in America? And that Britain only outlawed slavery 10 years before America did.