Thaksin Banned From Entering Thailand

george

You seem to forget that even if he made some money xtra, his the only one that made life a little bit better for the pour people, 30 bath for Medicare, and prolonging school instead 6 to 8 years and some more.

The airport has Been projected since 30 years back and all the involved at that time before Thaksin got rich.

Now junta wants to reverse all those things like Medicare for 30 bath and all the good things that came out of Thaksins 6 years and putting Thailand back 30 years in history, I cant see that this is what you want

Everyone seems to have such short memories - when Taksin was still here and in power, the majority opinion was that he had to go. Now that he has been exiled, albeit temporarily, we start to see the "poor old Taksin" crew coming out.

The Thai people wanted him out, and when it became obvious that not even "suggestions" from the highest authority in the land would convince him to relinquish power, the military realised that they had to stand up for the people of the country.

I thank our Lord Buddah that they did!

All the bleating about the military government is based on the false notion that they somehow forced Thailand to accept them - they did not do anything of the sort, they removed a dictator.

If he had been given the ability to continue, he would have done what many have done in other countries in the region: made sufficient alterations to the laws that eventually it would be impossible to remove him.

If you cant see this, you are blind.

It had aleady started with the changes to the tax laws that "allowed" him to skirt the issues and not pay taxes on that huge profit from the deal with the Singapore government, which is basically what Temasek are.

It is certainly not uncommon for a country to exile someone, it has been done before and is a relatively clean way of getting a problem out of the way - and Western governments do it too.

In this case, it's not as if he is anyone special, he is simply a person that the government recognises has the potential to cause upheaval in the country, and it is possible that it could lead to clashes resulting in bloodshed.

Which would you rather - a temporary restriction on one extremely rich business man from entering the country or riots in the streets?

Taksin was also at the heart of a move to control and restrict the media, including the free press. It was getting more and more difficult for newspapers and television to report what was being done by certain influential people in the country.

Would you have preferrd to have a government mouthpiece for a newspaper, or the Bangkok Post as it was (it used to be one of the most highly respected "real" newspapers in the region). Maybe you would prefer the Straits Times (I know a chap in the UK who is good at dealing with the Singaporeans, he could set it up for you I am sure).

Basically many media outlets in the region simply report what the government allows them to report - the first few pages of the ST are like reading "What the government did today for you, why you should be very proud of them, and why you should be good citizens and not rock the boat!" yeargh!

By the way - the government was planning to scrap the 30 baht scheme and REPLACE IT WITH A FREE SYSTEM.

The airport had been on the drawing boards for years, so the TRT government did nothing more than realise the potential for making huge profits for themselves out of it, and decided it was too good an opportunity to miss, so they pushed it through.

The slipshod manner in which the job was done leaves me in no doubt that it was seen as a way to make money, and to h*ll with the consequences. I am a great supporter of the new airport as I know it was desperately needed by our country, but the faults, errors and oversights tell me in no uncertain terms that it was rushed through. Think about it.

In another forum there is a discussion about all this, so here is not the place, but this is just another example of things being done in a particular way for the wrong reasons. The man behind the push was of course the man of which we speak here.

The interim government needs time to sort out the mess and to allow the place to stabilise

These are bitter sweet days - bitter because no-one wants to see any country going through the sort of political turmoil that Thailand has of recent weeks, but sweet in the potential that it may have unleashed for the Thai people - at least there is space to breath again.

Edited by Greer

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 baht medicare?Good way to go bankrupt!! :o:D:D:D

Interesting comment William...please tell us more. :D

How about something like this:

Thaksin started talking about and put into effect the 30 health care program; Fact

This program was in effect for the people at selected hospitals; Fact

No way can you get X-Rays. Doctor Check ups, Medicine, Operations, not to mention the operation of the physical hospital plant, i.e. electric, water, misc bills like salaries etc for 30 B; Fact

About 2-3 years after this 30 Baht program went into effect, various hospital administrators were being brought up on charges of malfeasance, because they couldn't cope with receiving 30 baht income, while still having big expense; Fact

The current government made the 30Bt health system free Fact

No way can you get X-Rays. Doctor Check ups, Medicine, Operations, not to mention the operation of the physical hospital plant, i.e. electric, water, misc bills like salaries etc for FREE; Fact

The new people in charge knew a popular program when they saw one Fact

Seems to me that TRT is not the only group with populist policies here, something that TRT was criticized heavily for but under current rules we are not allowed to have the same say now on the matter.

Yes, I absolutely agree that the US is in constant violation of various articles of the UN Charter and the Universal Declaration. Just yesterday, they did their old song and dance by vetoing another resolution over Israel and have pretty much made the issue clear and addressable within that body. Even Hugo Chavez in his formal address to the UN last month (not the introductory address that got so much media attention for his inflamatory and vacuous comments) reiterated a recommendation to remove veto power from the 5 permanent member council seats as it is an antiquated and protectionist mechanism for the emporer to do as it pleases. Most member countries agree and this latest move by the US has caused quite a stir. It becomes obvious that the US is more interested in maintaining hegemony in the region over peaceful settlements.

As members of the United Nations and signatory party to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Thailand will be in direct violation of Article 13, paragraph 2 which states:

2. Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

He cannot be banned, even temporarily, from returning to his country, especially in regard to the reasons stated. The junta basically wants to eliminate his participation in any future democratic process. Are they going to put him on house arrest and prevent him from pursuing his political rights every four years for the rest of his life?

I'm not a fan of his, but whether we like him or not, he is entitled to equal protection under international law and Thailand has an obligation to uphold their commitments to the UN.

I am very sure that if the countries that are signatories to the UN and are supposed to abide by it's "regulations" were to really do so, the world would be a better place.

Unfortunately I dont think there is a single country within the aforementioned group, that could make that claim.

The USA (bastion of democracy, so they say) and others happily ignore the rules whenever they prove a little inconvenient.

The Military government here can, and will, make decisions based on maintaining the peace. They have done an admirable job thus far, and I will continue to support their methods totally until and unless they make fundamental mistakes that disadvantage the people of the country. I believe that they do have improving the welfare of the people as their core objective.

I believe they need time to effect change and to at least start to sort out the mess left by TRT.

Thailand is not on it's own when it comes to corruption and other activities that are generally seen as inappropriate by the west, but I truly prefer the level of corruption we had before, than the heights it achieved under the previous government.

It is simply naive to compare Asia with the rest of the world - it's a fundamental mistake made by many who come to live here.

Comparing the way a government runs a country in Asia, with the western model is also flawed because of the very basic core differences between the Asian community and the western community.

The differences make it impossible to apply the same models across the board - models applicable in domestic life, business, and politics in the west need serious modification in order to work here.

/edit spelling

Edited by Greer

taksin knows thailand

and for him to return i do not think he can predict the outcome let alone the people he will upset by setting such a challenge.

and as it is marshall law the government can literaly impose any punishment they deem fit at that particular time.

imho i think it would be foolhardy of taksin to challenge the present regime.

It'd be a certain stay in the jailhouse if he did. :o

Nonsense and surprisingly so from a wise old bird.Its all hypothetical of course because both Thaksin and Junta know it makes no sense for a return now.

But let's just imagine Thaksin arrived unannounced in Bangkok.I can envisage of course the great fuss, some kind of house arrest and naturally a ban on political activity.But unless Surayud took leave of his senses, jail would be unthinkable.Why? Because up to now the international community has reluctantly gone along with the coup, but to jail a democratically elected PM would bring all that crashing down and provide Thaksin with an undeserved martyrship and a future political platform.It would also galvanise the opposition to the junta.

You may say the Thai establishment doesn't care about the way the world views Thailand.But there you would be very wrong.

30 baht scheme is very important for keeping people happy, it can't be just stopped, not now, not until they have a better replacement.

Thaksin didn't introduce free secondary education, it was prescribed in the constitution. He shouldn't get ANY credit for it as what he actually did was to cancel three years of free scondary school and replace them with three years of free kindergarten. That way he still provided 12 years of free education, sort of.

>>>>>>>>>>

Brilliant move by Sorayud. Thaksin's lawers will have to shut up about his return.

End of story.

30 baht scheme is very important for keeping people happy, it can't be just stopped, not now, not until they have a better replacement.

Thaksin didn't introduce free secondary education, it was prescribed in the constitution. He shouldn't get ANY credit for it as what he actually did was to cancel three years of free scondary school and replace them with three years of free kindergarten. That way he still provided 12 years of free education, sort of.

>>>>>>>>>>

Brilliant move by Sorayud. Thaksin's lawers will have to shut up about his return.

End of story.

It may be many things but end of story it ain't

PM Surayud says Gen. Chavalit has the right to give out political comments

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont indicated that the former Prime Minister, Gen. Chavalit Yongchaiyudh has the rights to criticize on political situations, and as a leader of the administration, he is always ready to listen and consider all constructive comments.

As for the case of the ousted Prime Minister, Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra, Gen. Surayud has suggested that he should come back to Thailand only if the new election is over and when the country has set up a new government.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 November 2006

Thaksin was/is a clever business man. yes

:o He wouldn't last 10 mins in an open competitive environment with a level playing field. And he knows it.

Smart/ clever ? One thing I'd never accuse the poor sod of.

Edited by OlRedEyes

:o He wouldn't last 10 mins in an open competitive environment with a level playing field.

I am surprised by your comments. He may be crooked, we might not like him, but he didn't hit a lottery to gain his wealth. Whatever they take in seizures, fines, taxes etc., he will still be left with a fortune. He looked around, figured out how to beat the system and played by its rules until he could make his own rules. In most countries in the world, this street smart SOB would make money and gain power, just like the street smart SOB's in other countries did. In a few years, after returning, he will set up a foundation and once again walk the streets of Bangkok a well respected man. That is how it works.

As members of the United Nations and signatory party to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Thailand will be in direct violation of Article 13, paragraph 2 which states:

2. Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

He cannot be banned, even temporarily, from returning to his country, especially in regard to the reasons stated. The junta basically wants to eliminate his participation in any future democratic process. Are they going to put him on house arrest and prevent him from pursuing his political rights every four years for the rest of his life?

I'm not a fan of his, but whether we like him or not, he is entitled to equal protection under international law and Thailand has an obligation to uphold their commitments to the UN.

I am very sure that if the countries that are signatories to the UN and are supposed to abide by it's "regulations" were to really do so, the world would be a better place.

Unfortunately I dont think there is a single country within the aforementioned group, that could make that claim.

The USA (bastion of democracy, so they say) and others happily ignore the rules whenever they prove a little inconvenient.

The Military government here can, and will, make decisions based on maintaining the peace. They have done an admirable job thus far, and I will continue to support their methods totally until and unless they make fundamental mistakes that disadvantage the people of the country. I believe that they do have improving the welfare of the people as their core objective.

I believe they need time to effect change and to at least start to sort out the mess left by TRT.

Thailand is not on it's own when it comes to corruption and other activities that are generally seen as inappropriate by the west, but I truly prefer the level of corruption we had before, than the heights it achieved under the previous government.

It is simply naive to compare Asia with the rest of the world - it's a fundamental mistake made by many who come to live here.

Comparing the way a government runs a country in Asia, with the western model is also flawed because of the very basic core differences between the Asian community and the western community.

The differences make it impossible to apply the same models across the board - models applicable in domestic life, business, and politics in the west need serious modification in order to work here.

/edit spelling

It's not about comparing Asia to the rest of the world. It's about fundamental beliefs that most of Asia, Thailand included, have obligated themselves to in the past by signing on as members of the UN. The fact that they "do things differently" is no basis for ignoring their compliance to international law of which they're sworn to uphold. And, yes, it applies to all other countries, such as the US mentioned above--by far the single biggest violator of these very same laws in recent history. Thailand's progress towards a new democratic government and the creation of a new constitution aren't the issue and have not been put up for comparison (by me at least). The issue is regarding Taksin being banned from returning to his homeland. If they (the junta) said, "Well, we're certainly not going to pursue extradition to get him back, but if he does show his face around here, then we'll arrest him, tell him how the situation's gonna be, maybe try him for allegations made by the various domestic institutions involved, etc." that would be a different story.

As far as disadvantaging the people, the people are all disadvantaged when a government says that it has the right to exile its citizens--Taksin being the example at this juncture. The flaw in your thinking begins and ends with the statement you made regarding the acceptability of corruption as it was before the Taksin government. Those types of comments only demonstrate your compliance as an accessory.

:o He wouldn't last 10 mins in an open competitive environment with a level playing field.

I am surprised by your comments. He may be crooked, we might not like him, but he didn't hit a lottery to gain his wealth. Whatever they take in seizures, fines, taxes etc., he will still be left with a fortune. He looked around, figured out how to beat the system and played by its rules until he could make his own rules. In most countries in the world, this street smart SOB would make money and gain power, just like the street smart SOB's in other countries did. In a few years, after returning, he will set up a foundation and once again walk the streets of Bangkok a well respected man. That is how it works.

you are forgetting what kind of backround hi is coming from:

Family background

Thaksin's great-grandfather Seng Sae Khu (邱)was a Hakka Chinese immigrant from Meizhou, Guangdong who arrived in Siam in the 1860s and settled in Chiang Mai in 1908. His eldest son, Chiang Sae Khu, was born in Chanthaburi in 1890 and married a Thai woman, called Saeng Somna. Chiang's eldest son, Sak, adopted the Thai surname Shinawatra ("does good routinely") in 1938 because of the country's anti-Chinese movement and the rest of the family also adopted it.

Thaksin's father, Lert, was born in Chiang Mai in 1919 and married Yindi Ramingwong. In 1968, Lert Shinawatra entered politics and became an MP for Chiang Mai and deputy leader of the now-defunct Liberal party. Lert Shinawatra quit politics in 1976.[7]

Thaksin's great-grandfather Seng Sae Khu made his fortune through tax farming. The Khu/Shinawatra later founded Shinawatra Silks and then by moving into finance, construction and property development. Lert Shinawatra opened a coffee shop, grew oranges and flowers in Chiang Mai's San Kamphaeng district, and opened two movie theatres, a gas station, and a car and motorcycle dealership. By the time Thaksin was born, the Shinawatra family was one of the richest and most influential families in Chiang Mai

you are forgetting what kind of backround hi is coming from:

Family background

Thaksin's great-grandfather Seng Sae Khu (邱)was a Hakka Chinese immigrant from Meizhou, Guangdong who arrived in Siam in the 1860s and settled in Chiang Mai in 1908. His eldest son, Chiang Sae Khu, was born in Chanthaburi in 1890 and married a Thai woman, called Saeng Somna. Chiang's eldest son, Sak, adopted the Thai surname Shinawatra ("does good routinely") in 1938 because of the country's anti-Chinese movement and the rest of the family also adopted it.

Thaksin's father, Lert, was born in Chiang Mai in 1919 and married Yindi Ramingwong. In 1968, Lert Shinawatra entered politics and became an MP for Chiang Mai and deputy leader of the now-defunct Liberal party. Lert Shinawatra quit politics in 1976.[7]

Thaksin's great-grandfather Seng Sae Khu made his fortune through tax farming. The Khu/Shinawatra later founded Shinawatra Silks and then by moving into finance, construction and property development. Lert Shinawatra opened a coffee shop, grew oranges and flowers in Chiang Mai's San Kamphaeng district, and opened two movie theatres, a gas station, and a car and motorcycle dealership. By the time Thaksin was born, the Shinawatra family was one of the richest and most influential families in Chiang Mai

I haven't forgotten, which is why I didn't repeat the often told story of how he was born poor. Still, the Shinawatra family, like many Chinese families, is very large in number so he was just one of many. Just how many brothers and sisters does he really have? The ones I met were nowhere near his age, but I didn't want to ask. I thought they were his kids.

The bottom line is he was the one that studied the system and figured out how to beat it. He is very, very clever. Similar to Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi and a few others. I have no question that any of them could have been born in another country and amassed huge wealth. Some can, but most of us can't.

30 baht medicare?Good way to go bankrupt!! :o:D:D:D

Interesting comment William...please tell us more. :D

I have idea why don't Thaksin go the the USA with his wealth he can buy a seat in congress and maybe run for Gov of California Arnold term limit will be up in 4 years the way I see it he can't be all that bad since the poor people loved him in my country the poor people hate Bush as for being a crook just take a look at my congress I think they wrote the book on coruption on another note the weather here in the USA is better than the UK we have many states that are warm all year around Florida is one south florida looks like Thailand and maybe with thaksin in us gov. maybe we american get a better treatment at the immigration office like getting a 10 year visa like my x/girl friend got from the USA or maybe yet run for Gov of Florida they cant count ballots there so it should be a shoe in if he pays the right people Bush did it in Fl both brothers one for Gov and the other for the US President That why I live in thailand now and will not return

post-14016-1163397063_thumb.jpg

The bottom line is he was the one that studied the system and figured out how to beat it. He is very, very clever.

More likely he surrounded himself with people who knew how and if they didn't, were probably well paid to "find a way". I'd say his greed and hunger for power surpass by far his cleverness.

He was clever enough to beat the system, true, but he hasn't created or contributed anything to the society, he just grabbed as much as he could.

And I don't see him establising any charitable foundation any time soon either. He is no Bill Gates.

The bottom line is he was the one that studied the system and figured out how to beat it. He is very, very clever.

More likely he surrounded himself with people who knew how and if they didn't, were probably well paid to "find a way". I'd say his greed and hunger for power surpass by far his cleverness.

the ability to surround yourself with capable and motivated people is in itself a basic quality for success, and it applies across cultures as seen from bill gates to li ka shing. it is a fundamental tenet that works not just within business but also for politics.

Edited by thedude

He was clever enough to beat the system, true, but he hasn't created or contributed anything to the society, he just grabbed as much as he could.

And I don't see him establising any charitable foundation any time soon either. He is no Bill Gates.

There are those that would argue the nation's poor benefited from his policies. My view on this is he allowed them to benefit because it was in his best interests (votes). Again, another example of his cleverness.

Face saving in Thailand is important. After returning, setting up a foundation to help the nation's poor will allow him to save face. You don't have to be Bill Gates for this.

I'm not taling about his political life.

Hate Bill Gates or not, but he spread Windows to each in every computer in the world. He works for his dream - to digitise and connect everything. Toyoda made affordable cars for everyone, and so on. Even Hitler did something good for Germans - he build autobans.

Thaksin did nothing. It took Norwegians to break his tight grip on cell-phone market and bring handset and call prices down to the regional levels, make them available to all. In a way, Telenor did more for Thai people than Thaksin the businessman ever intended to.

He hasn't given a baht to charity in spite of being the richest man in Thailand. Setting a foundation means donating money and pursuing some noble cause. He is too greedy for that, and he doesn't have the word "noble cause" in his dictionary.

Thaksin's great-grandfather Seng Sae Khu made his fortune through tax farming.

I have to ask. What is tax farming?

Tax farming is the generic term for allowing private citizens or parties to collect taxes for the government. In 19th and early 20th century Thailand, this was almost exclusively given to Chinese. Traditional Thai economics was not monetary based and taxes were usally in the form of corvee labor, that is the men were required to donate several months labor to the crown or local lord.

In contrast, the Chinese economy had been monetized for centuries and the poorest Chinese peasant had a basic understanding of such things as money, taxes, loans, interest, etc. So the influx of Chinese, who also were involved in many of the newer urban based business that were taxed, were the logical choice to help collect the new taxes in the provinces further from the palace. Of course a "tax farmer" would usually take a cut of the taxes for himself. It was a very lucrative position as far as both money and influence. It also was a major factor in the Chinese near monoply on commerce in Thailand.

I'm not taling about his political life.

Hate Bill Gates or not, but he spread Windows to each in every computer in the world. He works for his dream - to digitise and connect everything. Toyoda made affordable cars for everyone, and so on. Even Hitler did something good for Germans - he build autobans.

Thaksin did nothing. It took Norwegians to break his tight grip on cell-phone market and bring handset and call prices down to the regional levels, make them available to all. In a way, Telenor did more for Thai people than Thaksin the businessman ever intended to.

He hasn't given a baht to charity in spite of being the richest man in Thailand. Setting a foundation means donating money and pursuing some noble cause. He is too greedy for that, and he doesn't have the word "noble cause" in his dictionary.

Again, there have been many on TV that have argued that the poor in Thailand have benefited by his policies, which are now being carried forward by the CNS and hopefully the next elected government. Politicians prior to Dr. Thaksin did not have political platforms as we know them and they certainly didn't include he poor, other than how much to pay whom. Plus, I do not wish to go in a circle on this as this is a point that has been discussed on TV ad nauseum.

In a few years, after returning, he will set up a foundation and once again walk the streets of Bangkok a well respected man. That is how it works.

That's a significant step up from a few days ago as he walked the streets of London looking like a homeless wino:

30018424-02.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

In a few years, after returning, he will set up a foundation and once again walk the streets of Bangkok a well respected man. That is how it works.

That's a significant step up from a few days ago as he walked the streets of London looking like a homeless wino:

30018424-02.jpg

With a pocketful of cash, no doubt.

Thaksin's great-grandfather Seng Sae Khu made his fortune through tax farming.

I have to ask. What is tax farming?

Tax farming is the generic term for allowing private citizens or parties to collect taxes for the government. In 19th and early 20th century Thailand, this was almost exclusively given to Chinese. Traditional Thai economics was not monetary based and taxes were usally in the form of corvee labor, that is the men were required to donate several months labor to the crown or local lord.

In contrast, the Chinese economy had been monetized for centuries and the poorest Chinese peasant had a basic understanding of such things as money, taxes, loans, interest, etc. So the influx of Chinese, who also were involved in many of the newer urban based business that were taxed, were the logical choice to help collect the new taxes in the provinces further from the palace. Of course a "tax farmer" would usually take a cut of the taxes for himself. It was a very lucrative position as far as both money and influence. It also was a major factor in the Chinese near monoply on commerce in Thailand.

How very interesting! Perhaps that explains the long-standing fears over the purchase of land by those who hold other than Thai passports. Thank you for this post.

Thaksin should remain outside Thailand for a while. I am sure he has plentY of business interests to occupy him outside of Thailand, let alone his frozen assets within LOS.

Just one question:

Since the coup d’etat was ostensibly perpetrated to remove a criminal, evil, and corrupt regime, then why aren’t Taksin’s family assets quarantined and sequestered pending a tribunal? Why do Pojaman and children still hold passports?

Many say that if the CNR fail to bring a bill of indictment soon against the Taksin family, then very soon, the capitalist gangsters will seek a return to power.

This is not my opinion - it's just the word on the street.

:o

Edited by thaigold

They removed the evil, criminal and corrupt regime. Financially destroying Thaksin was never on the cards, but Surayud reminded him that all the talk about dignified return for HM's birthday is a waste of time, and he can forget about being the part of the next government, too. If TRT is dissolved and Thaksin is found guilty (could happen tomorrow), he can forget about politics for at least five years. That's all they need from him, apparently.

They will also get some tax from Shin sale, and some more money from ITV. Maybe reposess the Ratchada land, maybe collect some tax for 1997 gift of free shares to his brother in law and that's about it. Out of eight corruption cases taken by AEC only one relates to Thaksin, I think.

Oldmanriver, I wasn't talking about politics, I was talking about Thaksin as a businessman.