Thaksin Banned From Entering Thailand

george

Thaksin says he wants to go home post-9005-1163671439.gifpost-9005-1163671460.gifpost-9005-1163671439.gifpost-9005-1163671460.gif

Ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Thursday he wanted to go home someday but underlined that he didn't want to talk about politics, an Indonesian news website reported.

Thaksin arrived on Indonesia's resort island of Bali Wednesday and planned to stay for one week.

Speaking to journalists at the Bali Nirwana Resort, Thaksin said his trip to Bali was for leisure activities only.

"I will surely return (to Thailand ) because there's my home. I do want to," he said.

Asked if he was awaiting elections results before going home, he said, "I don't want to talk about politics."

Thaksin said after his stay in Bali, he may continue trips to Perth or Beijing.

*hey Aussies!... look out!... he's coming your way!!! * :o:D

Source: Xinhua

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

National Legislative Assembly member Prasong Soonsiri said this morning he does not think Mr Thaksin would return to Thailand now because he will be faced with many charges especially the ones that the Council for National Security used as reasons in staging the Sept 19 coup.

Those charges, although not yet filed with the prosecutor, allegedly included creating disunity among the Thai people, engaging in widespread corruption and engaging in political activities that may constitute lese majesty.

"I know this guy (Mr Thaksin) well, that he is a coward," said Mr Prasong. "Trust me. Even if he is allowed to return, he wouldn't have the guts to - because he knows there are charges are awaiting him."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=114264

A few of my Thai friends were talking about Thaksin the other day. It went something like this:

Oh now he is north of Thailand,

Oh now he is east of Thailand,

Oh now he is south of Thailand,

Oh now he is west of Thailand.

He is like a circling shark, I wonder when he will come and bump before the bite.

Ousted Thai premier returns to Hong Kong

BANGKOK -- Thailand's ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is back in Hong Kong for "rest and recreation," after spending a week on the Indonesia resort island of Bali, his lawyer said Wednesday.

"I talked to prime minister Thaksin this morning and he is in Hong Kong now. He has no official engagements there," lawyer Noppadon Pattama told Agence France-Presse.

"Thaksin will be in Hong Kong for rest and recreation for maybe a week or two," he said.

Thaksin's wife, who turned 52 Wednesday, could join him there later in the day, he added.

Thaksin was in New York when the military overthrew his government on September 19.

He then spent a month living in London, where he has a home, but this month he has traveled around Asia, circling Thailand with visits to Beijing, Hong Kong and Bali.

Thaksin, a self-made billionaire believed to retain enormous popularity among Thailand's rural poor, has avoided speaking about politics during his travels, instead often joking with the media as he shops or plays golf.

The junta that ousted him is deeply worried that he will try to return to Thailand and that his followers could take to the streets to support him.

They have appointed a new government and parliament, but have maintained martial law because of anti-coup "undercurrents" they said they had detected in northern Thailand, where Thaksin's support is strongest.

Source: AFP - 22 November 2006

Thaksin is finished with politics

Deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra will leave politics for good and not contest elections promised for next year by the ruling junta, his legal adviser said Sunday.

"He will quit politics for good because his family wants him to quit, and I understand that he will not run for next elections," Noppadol Pattama told reporters.

Following the September coup which ousted him, Thaksin resigned as leader of his Thai Rak Thai political party.

Noppadol said the deposed premier had no plans to return to Thailand "anytime soon" and would stay in Beijing "for a while".

Agence France-Presse

--------------------------------------------------------

now then, if we can only believe him.... we'll see....

Additionally:

Meanwhile, Thaksin is finished with politics.

He will not run in elections slated for next year or any other, Noppadon claimed.

"Thaksin will quit politics for good because his family wants him to quit, and I understand he will not run in the next elections," he said.

Following the September coup Thaksin resigned as leader of the Thai Rak Thai Party.

Noppadon said he had no plans to return to Thailand "anytime soon" and would remain in Beijing "for a while".

He ruled out politics in any visits by Thai Rak Thai members to Thaksin overseas. Any contact would be simply compassionate. :o

Thai Rak Thai Party caretaker leader Chaturon Chaisang earlier confirmed Thaksin would not contest the next election.

- The Nation

Thailand's former PM Thaksin may drop out of politics, says lawyer

BANGKOK, Thailand: Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra may not run in the next election if the country's political situation does not change, his lawyer said Sunday.

Thaksin was ousted by a Sep. 19 coup d'etat staged while he was in New York at a U.N. meeting.

Since then, he has spent his time in London, and in Asia outside of Thailand, where the military-appointed government that succeeded him has said he is not welcome for the time being.

"If the situation remains the same, Thaksin will not run in the election and will end his role in politics as his families have requested," his lawyer, Nopadol Patama, told reporters, without elaborating. "However, the future is another matter."

The military after ousting Thaksin promised a new election within a year, after a new constitution was drafted. Because of the complexity of the task, however, they later said the process could take several additional months.

The country is meanwhile administered by a military appointed interim government and legislature. The military itself retains what amounts to veto power over government actions through its Council for National Security.

Nopadol also said he expected Thaksin to consult with the council's members before returning to Thailand.

"I don't think former PM Thaksin will return to Thailand as soon as martial law is lifted," he said, adding that he thought Thaksin would talk with the military before making any decision about coming back.

A protest movement arose early this year demanding Thaksin's ouster because of alleged corruption and abuse of power. Its activities led to political polarization which many feared would end in violence, and that possibility was one of the reasons given by the army for staging its bloodless coup.

Since then, Thaksin has been vague about his political plans, while the military and the government it appointed have said they fear instability that could be instigated by the former prime minister's supporters.

Members of the Council for National Security have said, however, that sometime next month they will lift the state of martial law that was imposed at the time of the coup, except in a few sensitive provinces -- in the north, which is Thaksin's political stronghold, and the south, wracked by a Muslim insurgency.

Source: Assocaited Press - 27 November 2006

Thaksin is finished with politics

Deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra will leave politics for good and not contest elections promised for next year by the ruling junta, his legal adviser said Sunday.

--------------------------------------------------------

now then, if we can only believe him.... we'll see....

Politician's promise, John. It means absolutely nothing.

"If the situation remains the same, Thaksin will not run in the election and will end his role in politics as his families have requested," his lawyer, Nopadol Patama, told reporters, without elaborating. "However, the future is another matter."

To paraphrase GW Bush: "I will not return to politics. Having said that, all options are on the table." :o

This does not surprise me.

The sort of person who 'hangs in there' in politics through thick and thin usually exhibits political tendencies as a young adult, and I know of no evidence of that having been shown by Thaksin.

I think history will record that Thailand turned to Thaksin, and then turned on him (and I can see why) so he said: "Enough's enough".

Politics is addictive, so his family may have had to work on him to bring him to that conclusion. But many a man has been saved from his addiction by his family.

The sort of person who 'hangs in there' in politics through thick and thin usually exhibits political tendencies as a young adult, and I know of no evidence of that having been shown by Thaksin.

I think history will record that Thailand turned to Thaksin, and then turned on him (and I can see why) so he said: "Enough's enough".

Politics is addictive, so his family may have had to work on him to bring him to that conclusion. But many a man has been saved from his addiction by his family.

Martin, surely you know better than to believe Thaksin's latest lawyer?

Thaksin once said work is the most important thing in life, family come second.

He's a vindictive man, nothing to do but plot revenge.

No interest in arts, music, history, religion, philosophy or science.

Only shopping and playing golf.

Contemplation could be his redemption but it's beyond him and there's too many sins that can't be washed away.

His latest lawyer, Noppadon, should make some money; I feel sorry for him as he wanted to be an MP, but he has an overwhelming fear of dogs. Canvassing turned out to be scary as even behind locked doors in a car the barking soi dogs terrified him.

Martin, surely you know better than to believe Thaksin's latest lawyer?

Thaksin once said work is the most important thing in life, family come second.

He's a vindictive man, nothing to do but plot revenge.

No interest in arts, music, history, religion, philosophy or science.

Only shopping and playing golf.

Contemplation could be his redemption but it's beyond him and there's too many sins that can't be washed away.

His latest lawyer, Noppadon, should make some money; I feel sorry for him as he wanted to be an MP, but he has an overwhelming fear of dogs. Canvassing turned out to be scary as even behind locked doors in a car the barking soi dogs terrified him.

Yes, what a contrast to the rest of the Thai political class who are renowned for their interest in arts, music,history religion, philosophy and science (not)

There have been a few like Kukrit, Seni, Anand who were civilised people with what Denis Healey called an extensive intellectual hinterland beyond politics.But the vast majority are vulgar upstarts whose main interests are ......well, golf and shopping.

• 3 weeks later...

Lawyer: Thaksin will remain in China

Deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is in Beijing and intends to remain there for the foreseeable future, the family's legal aide Noppadol Pattama said today. "He (Mr Thaksin) is not used to the weather and food in Europe," :o said Mr Noppadol, adding Mr Thaksin prefers warm weather in Asia to the freezing climate at his London's apartment. :D:o:D

According to an official Chinese Meteorological website, the high temperature in Beijing today was 5 degrees Celsius, and the low temperature last night was minus 4 Celsius - 41 and 24 Fahrenheit respectively. Mr Noppadol said Mr Thaksin rents his accommodations in Beijing, but said he does not know where. :D :D ;)what a comedy

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=115100

-------------------------------------------------------------

Today's Weather

Beijing - High: 5C (41F) Low: -4C (24F) BRRRRRRR :bah:

Bangkok-High: 34C (93F) Low: 22C (72F) AHHHHHHH :bah:

Enjoy your weather, Thakky...

:D

Edited by sriracha john

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Thaksin in Singapore

Deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra arrived in Singapore yesterday. Thaksin plans to stay four days in the city state and dine with its deputy prime minister.

He departs for the United Kingdom on Tuesday to meet his wife Khunying Pojaman, a source said.

The purpose of his Singapore visit was unclear and his Thailand-based legal counsel Noppadon Pattama declined to confirm it.

The Foreign Ministry has revoked his diplomatic passport, and the former prime minister has two weeks to transfer his valid visas to an ordinary passport. ASEAN member Singapore does not require visas for Thai citizens on visits of 30 days or fewer.

The Shinawatra family sold its shares in Shin Corp to Singapore government investment arm Temasek Holdings last year.

Thailand has notified China it had revoked Thaksin's diplomatic passport. He had been living in Beijing.

China has not said what action it will take.

- The Nation

If the Thai generals have learned one thing from the generals in Myanmar, it's that the previously elected leader must be kept out of the press and off the streets as much as possible. In Myanmar, they've been quite successful using house arrest. In Thailand, this would succeed for about 3 days at most, leaving the Thai generals only one option, keep the previously elected leader out of the country and delay the election indefinitely to "preserve" national unity.

LOL.... Funny analogy you choose.

Thaksin wrote the book on having a cosy relationship with his Burmese customers.

I agree, maybe Sonthi and Thaksin will meet in Yangoon soon to split the cash!

Naw.. Thaksin is too busy counting an even bigger stack of cash in Singapore. Besides, Thaksin would never include anyone else in his business deals. He's far too egocentric for that... but anyway... nice try. The pro-Thaksin following gets weaker by the day.

Edited by sriracha john

"Thaksin would never include anyone else in his business deals. He's far too egocentric for that... but anyway... nice try. The pro-Thaksin following gets weaker by the day."

I bet we would all be surprised who was included in Thaksin's business deals, fat chance the junta will let us know. Believe me, nothing I've written is in anyway pro-Thaksin. I just agree with Supinya (the free press chick) that the junta is far more dangerous than old square head ever was. Some of the anti-Thaksin brigade got so caught up in it that they have fallen into complicitly supporting something far worse than what they originally found unacceptable.

"Thaksin would never include anyone else in his business deals. He's far too egocentric for that... but anyway... nice try. The pro-Thaksin following gets weaker by the day."

I bet we would all be surprised who was included in Thaksin's business deals, fat chance the junta will let us know. Believe me, nothing I've written is in anyway pro-Thaksin. I just agree with Supinya (the free press chick) that the junta is far more dangerous than old square head ever was. Some of the anti-Thaksin brigade got so caught up in it that they have fallen into complicitly supporting something far worse than what they originally found unacceptable.

Sorry if I mistook your apologetic-Thaksin posts as being pro-Thaksin. Your going on ever-loosening tangents involving Myanmar led me to think that.

Do you have a quote from Supinya that says that? :o

No one has the nearly-six year history of tyranny that Thakky had... involving murders, corruption, and endless etc.

If the Thai generals have learned one thing from the generals in Myanmar, it's that the previously elected leader must be kept out of the press and off the streets as much as possible. In Myanmar, they've been quite successful using house arrest. In Thailand, this would succeed for about 3 days at most, leaving the Thai generals only one option, keep the previously elected leader out of the country and delay the election indefinitely to "preserve" national unity.

Watching ASTV last evening, Sonthi L. was showing footage of supporters of Panthongtae outside the building while he testified. Funny enough, the same faces that were supporting the ex Election Committee when they testified and also seen during other protests. :o Like carpideiras, women who are paid to cry at people's funerals :D

With a bit of humour, Sonthi L. offered to send some of his supporters so we would get a change of faces. :D