Bringing a Car into Koh Samui

Have a search in the Motor Forum.

Consensus is ... Don't do it. After the run around you will get hit with tax up to worth of the car (and maybe even more)

Sell your car in Australia and buy a new one in Samui !

Edited by MJCM

Hi,

I did this a few years ago from Australia importing a motorcycle and a car. never was able to get a blue Book for the car, bike was correctly registered but i was lucky.

Notably I had all documents, and my Thai wife was returning to Thailand to reside being the owner of the Car.

Problems exist from all areas of the process, even your Thai import agent.

My opinion it is neither cheaper or worth the risk of dealing with anything related to an import in Thailand.

If youre talking about bringing a foreign plated vehicle into Thailand - forget it. Its not an option. If youre able to get thai plate on it it will cost you a fortune in taxes and fees and paracetamols for thousands of dollars to cure your headaches during this process. But most likely you will not be able to do so.

You can get a foreign plated vehicle into Thailand on a temporary monthly basis but it will require that you bring it to a customs office every month for a renewal of the temporary import. And such a temporary import can only be done up to six months and then the vehicle need to exit Thailand again.

By the way - thai government are about to change temporary vehicle import rules to the more stricter. Supposed to start from 27th this month.

So sell or leave your foreign plated vehicle where it is and consider buying another in Samui.

Have to agree with above.

Every person Ive spoken to who has attempted to bring their own cars into Thailand from their home countries have told me they wouldnt try to do it again.

The worst scenario was when one of them landed the vehicle and Customs refused to make a 2nd hand value on it , and taxed it on its internet retail price !

By then he couldnt very well send the car home.

Dont do it; you're entering the customs technically Neanderthal. I have never heard of anyone being successful in registering a car as removal goods; if you are willing to pay the (extremely high) import duties on a value assessed by the customs clowns ......

There is a reason why a brand-new German-made BMW 316i costs 30% of the same model (yet by far poorer execution) made in Thailand. A word to the wise; sell the vehicle(s) in Australia and get yourself a brand-new pick-up which will serve you for years to come without problems and, depending on the brand (Toyota, Isusu) will achieve an astronomical resale-price if and when you decide to change.

Calculate on this Link: http://www.dutycalculator.com

Good link to give the OP an idea, but OP don't forget to add a bit more money for this and that and also maybe a lot more of both smile.png

Yes, the major problem is going to be the product value. You may think it is (e.g.) 15k, if customs declares it is 25k, that's the way it is.

Good link to give the OP an idea, but OP don't forget to add a bit more money for this and that and also maybe a lot more of both smile.png

Yes, the major problem is going to be the product value. You may think it is (e.g.) 15k, if customs declares it is 25k, that's the way it is.

No. If you have a certified value report from export Country theres no Problem. But be aware, the Import Tax will be as high and up as the worth of the Car.

No. If you have a certified value report from export Country theres no Problem. But be aware, the Import Tax will be as high and up as the worth of the Car.

Strangely, I don't believe that will be the BIGGEST problem. The amount of Duty, excise etc is given, and yes it will an unwise financial move.

You will not pass the required tests, emission etc. to make it registrable despite what any Duty Calculator says.

This is where bribes have flourished. The best sometimes you can achieve is a numberplate, but no book. The value of your vehicle is severely compromised.

The process is not to be relied upon under any circumstances. Any talk to the cotrary is by people that have not done things as this personally before.

I have had several people referred to me by a Thai friend with a major Motorcycle shop in Samui. He does it strangely to appear to help, but the answer he know is all bad news.

Welcome to Thailand.

AFAIK this is not correct. Customs sets it's own values.