Is Everything Produced or Supplied Here 2nd Rate or what?

Generalchaos

Jesus,

is there any quality here these days or has there ever been any?

I bought a Wahl Pro Hair clipper set from Lazada about 3 months back, I always trusted Wahl.

The first set of clippers I got was a set of Wahl Home, that was back when I was 21, I took them all around the world, they cut my hair perfectly for 26 YEARS! only a year ago did the blades give out, the motor still runs. Never a fault never a problem.

So, I buy a set of Wahl Pro from Lazada, 2500 Baht or so, nice clippers, look good, cut the hair great initially.

Keep them oiled, keep them clean.

So today I get that itchy scratchy feeling when the sideboards start curling that tell me I need a trim.

Pull out the Wahl, switch it on and the bloody blades are seized together with rust!!!

What the hell? Are these second rate junk blades supplied to Asia? My previous clipper never had rust in over 20 years!

What is it with these companies that they seem to think selling second rate crap in Asia is OK?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who is convinced that since Thai people NEVER return defective merchandise that many manufactures ship merchandise to Thailand that will not pass quality control.

Who's to say they don't?

I have shared your experience with many good brand named products purchased in Thailand that suck, that would be good reliable products if purchased in America or elsewhere.

Not so sure....Brought 3 Wahl's here from the US & they all died a quick death.....

Bought a Kemei and it's much smoother & better in all respects & keeps going on & on.....Side by side quality comparison (and performance) made me wonder why I'd stuck/believed in Wahl for so many years....

Edited by pgrahmm

It's not a new phenomenon nor is it specific to Asia in general or Thailand in particular.

A whole army of consumers in the US or Europe say much the same on consumer forums about stuff bought in their respective countries.

Quality standards in manufactured goods have been falling steadily for years.

I think a lot of manufacturers decided to "do more with less" - cut costs, streamline processes, use cheaper materials etc - to boost profits and keep shareholders happy

Now I go for stuff with extended warranties and make sure the retailer is approved by the manufacturer so I don't get the "you bought outside the official retail network" rubbish.

It's called China. All the recognized brand names are now produced in China for the same price or more with a much lower quality. In fact most is junk with a brand name on it. The other possibility is that it could be a copy. I once knowingly bought a copy as it had good ratings and was quite dissapointed with the quality until I found out it was a copy of a copy. I an not joking.

Edited by losworld

I once knowingly bought a copy as it had good ratings and was quite dissapointed with the quality until I found out it was a copy of a copy. I an not joking.

It's happening a lot in the smartphone market right now.

The successful Chinese brands which have managed to build kind of a reputation like Xiaomi, Meizu etc. and whose models usually are close copies of popular designs from Apple or Samsung are now being extensively copied and fakes of these brands abound in online shops (especially Aliexpress). Quite fun to watch, really.

Edited by Lannig

mobile phones and TVs cheaper and same quality as the UK

They must be expensive in the UK then.

I can find much better bargains in France for TVs and more marginally better ones for smartphones.

I once knowingly bought a copy as it had good ratings and was quite dissapointed with the quality until I found out it was a copy of a copy. I an not joking.

The successful Chinese brands which have managed to build kind of a reputation like Xiaomi, Meizu etc. and whose models usually are close copies of popular designs from Apple or Samsung are now being extensively copied and fakes of these brands abound in online shops (especially Aliexpress). Quite fun to watch, really.

I just order a UMI phone from China on line at a buddy's recommendation. He's in the business and say's this one has the same specs and components as a 7-800 dollar samsung or HTC for a couple hundred bucks we'll see. he's had similar one for almost a year and loves it... Some of the Xiaomis looked very nice the reviews were good for what thats worth. And they were described as Apple clones with android soft ware.

Hey all of Apples stuff is made there right...

Jesus,

is there any quality here these days or has there ever been any?

I bought a Wahl Pro Hair clipper set from Lazada about 3 months back, I always trusted Wahl.

The first set of clippers I got was a set of Wahl Home, that was back when I was 21, I took them all around the world, they cut my hair perfectly for 26 YEARS! only a year ago did the blades give out, the motor still runs. Never a fault never a problem.

So, I buy a set of Wahl Pro from Lazada, 2500 Baht or so, nice clippers, look good, cut the hair great initially.

Keep them oiled, keep them clean.

So today I get that itchy scratchy feeling when the sideboards start curling that tell me I need a trim.

Pull out the Wahl, switch it on and the bloody blades are seized together with rust!!!

What the hell? Are these second rate junk blades supplied to Asia? My previous clipper never had rust in over 20 years!

What is it with these companies that they seem to think selling second rate crap in Asia is OK?

I bought my Wahl clippers from Laksi plaza in 2014. Trim my hair each month, and they've been great. Drop of oil before putting them away.

I have a set of Wahl clippers bought in 2008 from a hairdresser suppliers in Samui (bypass road, just before the turn to Bangrak coming from Chaweng) that are still running well, just require occasional recalibration. Not heavily used, since I just nuke my hair every couple of months, but still decent longevity I think.

They weren't cheap however, and I was offered some much cheaper "Wahl" ones when I bought them.. perhaps these are the ones that rust..

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

mobile phones and TVs cheaper and same quality as the UK

They must be expensive in the UK then.

I can find much better bargains in France for TVs and more marginally better ones for smartphones.

New Samsungs/iPhones in UK are normal price or cheaper than here. Secondhand ones are dirt cheap since these things are given away on contracts, which you don't get here. White goods are also cheap in UK and I found TVs about the same.

I think the climate has a lot to do with it.

If you do not take care to ensure against humidity and mould almost everything will succumb, the soles of shoes falling off/crumbling, electrical insulation breaking down/falling apart, the paper in books decaying.

The climate in Thailand might be friendly to your bones but it takes no prisoners from the stuff we buy.

I think the climate has a lot to do with it.

If you do not take care to ensure against humidity and mould almost everything will succumb, the soles of shoes falling off/crumbling, electrical insulation breaking down/falling apart, the paper in books decaying.

The climate in Thailand might be friendly to your bones but it takes no prisoners from the stuff we buy.

The sun here us an absolute killer of plastics also, they go brittle and snap very easily in a very short time frame.

Uk training shoes peel like a banana with the heat ,the glue simply doesnt hold them together. I oil all tools after use.

I just order a UMI phone from China on line at a buddy's recommendation. He's in the business and say's this one has the same specs and components as a 7-800 dollar samsung or HTC for a couple hundred bucks we'll see. he's had similar one for almost a year and loves it... Some of the Xiaomis looked very nice the reviews were good for what thats worth. And they were described as Apple clones with android soft ware.

Hey all of Apples stuff is made there right...

No apple is made in Taiwan which is why I bought an asus phone. However, the Chinese phones are getting better all the time.

Bought a couple of Wahl units here that died quick deaths. Dunno if they aren't copies from China.? Bought a Remington clipper set in the UK a few years ago that is great quality and works just as new.

Quality (also see; "politics" and "history") here seems to have been judged illegal though. Just go have a look inside any of those "Outlet Mall" places that are basically selling sub-standard export goods (goods that can't be exported due to small mistakes in the finishing). Try and work out how "second" class products are being sold here (source country) at twice the price of the export quality version in the country of destination.?blink.png

Thais are quite unassuming and timid consumers. They just lap this stuff up without complaining or thinking.

OP

Try making a claim under the warranty. I would be surprised if you get your money back or even a replacement.

In the UK you would get your money back. Other Western countries too. In Thailand you won't.

When retailers and manufacturers can just ignore the justified complaints of aggrieved customers, why on earth would they bother making or selling goods of decent quality. It would reduce their profits.

OP

Try making a claim under the warranty. I would be surprised if you get your money back or even a replacement.

In the UK you would get your money back. Other Western countries too. In Thailand you won't.

When retailers and manufacturers can just ignore the justified complaints of aggrieved customers, why on earth would they bother making or selling goods of decent quality. It would reduce their profits.

Maybe because they want to sell two of something instead of one. Duuhcheesy.gif

OP

Not cost-efficient. Overall profits would be higher selling high-profit margin, low-quality products with few repeat sales versus low-profit margin, high-quality products with more repeat sales but longer between purchases.

It is the lack of a "stick" in terms of law enforcement that means it is better for retailers and manufacturers here to sell tat.

Also, competition is often hindered in many sectors here by market domination and distribution policies meaning consumer choice is limited to 2 or 3 brands all low-quality and all mid-priced.

OP

Not cost-efficient. Overall profits would be higher selling high-profit margin, low-quality products with few repeat sales versus low-profit margin, high-quality products with more repeat sales but longer between purchases.

It is the lack of a "stick" in terms of law enforcement that means it is better for retailers and manufacturers here to sell tat.

Also, competition is often hindered in many sectors here by market domination and distribution policies meaning consumer choice is limited to 2 or 3 brands all low-quality and all mid-priced.

Nonsense. Competition is the cornerstone of capitalism. The one who sells the most always wins. How many 10,000 baht per hamburger restaurants are in Thailand?

Admit you are in error and move on.

Edited by Scotwight

OP

Nonsense. Competition is the cornerstone of capitalism. The one who sells the most always wins. How many 10,000 baht per hamburger restaurants are in Thailand?

Admit you are in error and move on.

I am afraid I cannot fully understand your post.

We are talking about product quality and consumer protection here.

"The one who sells the most always wins." This statement seems to back my argument. It makes no reference to product quality. As I stated earlier sectors in Thailand are dominated by mid-priced, low-quality goods. (There is no low-priced). So what sells most is low-quality goods which is what both I and the OP are stating. It is not clear what you are stating.