O visa with Thai spouse in consulate in state

Hi, I wonder if it will be benefit to get o visa multiple entry from state base on married to thai citizen before come to Thailand will be better than just get single entry and get extensions at immigration in Thailand to 1 year extension? Which one will be easier and not complicate during stay?

Thank you in advance

Depends on your circumstances.

If you don't have proof of funds for the yearly extension a multiple entry is the best option.

But you need to factor in the cost of doing border hops every 90 days.

It all comes down to personal circumstances really.

Do you need the hassle of leaving every 90 days.

Ubonjoe "Best to get a single entry non-o visa and apply for a one year extension based upon marriage at immigration if you can show 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or 40k baht income.".

The benefit of doing this(get extension based upon marriage at immigration in Thailand, considered that I have 400k) is I do not need to get out from the country to extend 3 months? I just need to report at immigration office every 3 months? But how is it easy to deal with immigration office in Thailand? Paper work complication? Need many documents such as residential rental agreement and foreigner rental signed by the landlord? Bank statement? Translate my marriage certificate into Thai? etc

But for multi o visa from consulate outside Thailand, we need to go to the border every 3 months to extend our visa but we do not need to deal with paper work at immigration office but only at the border. And border run is just thinking of taking a week end of to Myamar, vietnam, Laos, or Malaysia.

Sorry for being too cautions so I do not want to fly back home to get another visa.

Thank you very much everyone and specially Ubonjoe, I read many of your answers from the posts. There are very helpful.

Ubonjoe "Best to get a single entry non-o visa and apply for a one year extension based upon marriage at immigration if you can show 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or 40k baht income.".

The benefit of doing this(get extension based upon marriage at immigration in Thailand, considered that I have 400k) is I do not need to get out from the country to extend 3 months? I just need to report at immigration office every 3 months? But how is it easy to deal with immigration office in Thailand? Paper work complication? Need many documents such as residential rental agreement and foreigner rental signed by the landlord? Bank statement? Translate my marriage certificate into Thai? etc

But for multi o visa from consulate outside Thailand, we need to go to the border every 3 months to extend our visa but we do not need to deal with paper work at immigration office but only at the border. And border run is just thinking of taking a week end of to Myamar, vietnam, Laos, or Malaysia.

Sorry for being too cautions so I do not want to fly back home to get another visa.

Thank you very much everyone and specially Ubonjoe, I read many of your answers from the posts. There are very helpful.

From what I have read on this forum, dealing with Immigration offices through out Thailand seems to vary tremendously.

Some offices such as the one in Nakhon Sawan where I report to is a pleasant farang friendly office where all the front office staff are female, most speak English pretty well and is rarely crowded.

Some are neutral and crowded or not, the English language skills vary as does the way they treat people.

Others like Chiang Mai are usually crowded and rushed and tend to stick to the rules as the staff interpret them and some like Phuket stick rigidly to the rules and also tend to ask for more or invent their own questionnaire which must be filled in or not depending upon who is asking.

The best thing you could do is find the nearest Immigration office to where you will be living and then do a search in the archives of visas to Thailand on this forum. You may find good, average or awful reports from the posters who use that office.

• Like 2

I have done 8 extensions based upon marriage and have found it not that big a problem to do them.

Needing a rental agreement and the copies of the owners house book and ID card is not that big a deal.

In order to apply for an extension you will need to register your foreign marriage at an Amphoe to obtain a Kor Ror 22 that is required by immigration. Registering your marriage is something you should do even if you don't do the extension.

I assume you meant to write states in the topic title which makes me think you are a US citizen. To register your marriage at an Amphoe you will need to do a self certification of your marriage certificate by doing a affidavit that it is true and correct at the US embassy. Then the affidavit and your marriage certificate will need to be translated to Thai and the translations then would need to be certified by the consular affairs department of the MFA.

• You are going to need a non 'O' visa whichever way you go and the criteria is often the same. Whether you get a single or multiple entry visa you can apply for the 1 year extension of stay in the last 30 (maybe 45 ) days of any entry.

The advantage of the 1 year extension is no border runs, but for those that live close to a border or exit frequently the multiple entry visa can be a good choice.

Thank you and very appreciate every one for all the answers ????. So I will first get one year mult base on marriage from Thai consulate outside Thailand ( yes, will visit neighbors countries for 2-3 days) every 3 months tills validate of visa expire to extend to max. And then will get retirement visa on extension from immigration office.

Than you.