Foreign Scammers Cornered in Jomtien and Arrested

webfact

Foreign Scammers Cornered in Jomtien and Arrested

p1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 11am on the morning of June 12 Pattaya police announced the arrest and detention of the “Arab” couple they have been looking for after a tour guide was conned out of 7000 baht in Pratumnak on May 15.

Forty-four year old Turkish born Polat Ibrahim and a forty-five year old Iranian woman, Ms Sadena Geravandeh Hamedani, were detained with cash made up of twenty different currencies. A black Honda PCX motorcycle was also confiscated.

After receiving many complaints from Chinese, Indian and Korean nationals, who were all tricked into handing over cash in a similar fashion to the Thai tour guide, officers were able to identify the scammers thanks to CCTV footage at several locations.

Arrest warrants were issued and a team was sent to the Amazon Condominium at Soi Boonkanjanaram 5 near Jomtian Beach. At that moment the pair appeared in the parking lot and two of the victims, who had joined officers, were able to positively identify them.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/225298/arab-scammers-cornered-jomtien-arrested/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-06-13

What exactly was the crime they allegedly committed? Read the post and it never gets around to stating it ?

True. Journalism at its best, as usual.

I believe they approach strangers asking where they're from, then when the victim warms up to the conversation, they then inject a line like "hey i want to visit your country next month. what's it like there? i have never seen your country's currency. here are my iranian rials. can you show me yours?"

When money is shown, they (now this is where victims are truly idiots) manage to talk their victims to let them hold their wallets (and go through the contents!).

PS... Best way to avoid becoming a victim is to never make eye contact. That's how the entire scam starts.

Edited by mvdf

What exactly was the crime they allegedly committed? Read the post and it never gets around to stating it [emoji16]

True. Journalism at its best, as usual.

I believe they approach strangers asking where they're from, then when the victim warms up to the conversation, they then inject a line like "hey i want to visit your country next month. what's it like there? i have never seen your country's currency. here are my iranian rials. can you show me yours?"

When money is shown, they (now this is where victims are truly idiots) manage to talk their victims to let them hold their wallets (and go through the contents!).

PS... Best way to avoid becoming a victim is to never make eye contact. That's how the entire scam starts.

I can confirm the above, happened to me in a shopping mall. Fortunately my alarm went off and I gently told him to ...F¥%},].

They usually perpetrate this crime in pairs. One is the thief (using sleight of hand) and the other is the distractor--- there to distract you while his or her partner does the thieving.

7,000 Baht....How about Thai women who had conned houses and cars from Foreigners......

if you fall in love with a thai woman, whom you have nothing in common with and then buy/build a house in a country that you can not legally own, then loose it you only have yourself to blame. taking responsibility for your own actions is the first step to learning not to repeat such mistakes. hope the victims from this story learn to be a bit more careful in the future.

I thought they were Arabs??????

So when will they arrest locals scammers who cheated 100s if not 1000s of farangs such as wives and local buz partners?

In Pattaya you have to be careful, of Thai scammers sure, but more so of foreign scammers. Of the people I know who have been scammed, farangs have usually been the scammers, and have been the scammers that have scammed the biggest amounts. The foreign scammers are more likely to get your life savings.

An example is the real estate developers. Nearly all the Thai developers deliver. But their is a long, long list of foreigners who have sold real estate to other foreigners and have disappeared, or have come up with excuses rather than condos/houses.

The city is a magnet for foreign scammers. Google search "conman Pattaya" and you will find over one hundred. I personally knew two who were at war with each other, constantly fighting and undermining each other over new victims. Both were successfull.

You included "wives" in your "scammers". If you marry a Pattaya hooker, you are still only a customer, and rather than scammed, I would say it is more a case of just being up sold.

You have a fair chance of losing money getting married in any country, and the odds would raise sharply if you married a hooker in any country.

Would you buy a house back home for a hooker and put it in their name? I don't understand why so many do it in Thailand and then cry about it later.

Beware of foreign scammers in Pattaya. They are everywhere and from everywhere. They are convincing and clever. The story above is just another one.

7,000 Baht....How about Thai women who had conned houses and cars from Foreigners......

I have plenty of mates back in Oz who have lost houses and cars to Aussie women. The police don't arrest them for it.

The legal system actually enforces them to hand it all over to the women.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Pattaya police announced the arrest and detention of the “Arab” couple they have been looking for

Since when Turks or Iranians are Arabs? blink.png

Muslim probably but Arab certainly not both, of them! smile.png

Edited by Tchooptip

I thought they were Arabs??????

So when will they arrest locals scammers who cheated 100s if not 1000s of farangs such as wives and local buz partners?

unfortunately thai law provides for this opportunity.

Glad to see these people were caught. Regarding scamming Thai wives. If a person legally marries a Thai and then purchases a home in her name or a car and then the marriage breaks down- Thai law states very clearly that as long as the money was provided after the legal marriage- at the time of divorce- 50% goes to the husband as well as the wife. That means the property has to be sold as foreigners cannot own land. It will be a hard fought legal battle to force the ex wife into coming up with the money. One has to be relentless and have a good , faithful lawyer.

Pattaya police announced the arrest and detention of the Arab couple they have been looking for

It is just the way Thais racially profile. It is all about looks (face?) more so than heritage.

Kon farang = white

Kon asia = Asian

Kon negro or Kon mert = African

Kon kairk = Middle East/ Indian/ Iranian/Arab some Southern European

Perhaps not what we would consider politically correct or even all that accurate for farangs but TIT

Pattaya police announced the arrest and detention of the “Arab” couple they have been looking for

It makes no difference. Dumb and dumber come in all races and all nationalities. These pair are a prime example.