Visa agent denied me in Penang

I have a double entry in my passport from the U.S., an single entry from Savannakhet and a single entry from Vietiene, totaling four visas over the course of the year. The agent told me this was a problem, and that I was expected to go back to the U.S. He also mentioned that with additional bargaining money *maybe* he could get me in. I don't really know what to make of this, and I'm sick of Penang and want to get the hell outta here. Please help.

Keep in mind that this was just the agent, not a representative of the actual consulate.

Edited by littlejssn
  • Like 1

Try Bananna Guesthouse and see what they say - and please let us know. The laws haven't changed - there is no limit, but maybe they are changing the 'rules' in Penang, and if so, we need to know what the 'new rules' for this consulate are (now).

Banana Guesthouse was where I went to. He told me that it might be better if I went to the consulate myself. Claimed that the Penang consulate was "more strict". What are the other agencies I should try?

Edited by littlejssn

Try Bananna Guesthouse and see what they say - and please let us know. The laws haven't changed - there is no limit, but maybe they are changing the 'rules' in Penang, and if so, we need to know what the 'new rules' for this consulate are (now).

Banana Guesthouse was where I went to. He told me that it might be better if I went to the consulate myself. Claimed that the Penang consulate was "more strict". What are the other agencies I should try?
There was an unofficial rule at most consulates that if you have 3 back-to-back tourist visas you needed to switch consulates to 'reset' the count.

But honestly, either go to another agent or go to consulate yourself. This guide will help you get there: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/879418-

Its kind of late now... A taxi will get there fast... But the 101 can still get you to the Island Hospital roundabout or go further to Cantonment St; then you walk steadily about 15-20 min to Thai Consulate.

Edited by 4evermaat

Same happened to me at the same "agent" (not TR -"O" visa)

It was all BS.

I went to the Consulate, easy peasy, no problems.

A fellow with no Penang visas and who had been in Thailand for awhile (like the OP), tried it direct at the consulate last week and was denied. I had a similar visa history in my Passport, and Bananna got it without an issue the week before. Something appears to be changing in Penang.

An "O" is different - much more a matter of "do you have X, Y, Z to support this request" vs the subjective "we think / feel / intuit we should not give you a Tourist Visa." Yes, X, Y, and Z may change at consulates, as the fuzzy-logic applied to Tourist Visas change, but requirements of an O are not based on "how long you have stayed in Thailand in this passport."

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Went to another agency, said I needed to pay 3,500 baht in additional fees in order to make it happen. So I went to Jim's Place, he said that he could get it done at no additional fee, but was very specific about me "not telling anyone about this", which frankly sketches me out quite a bit. Any insights?

Went to another agency, said I needed to pay 3,500 baht in additional fees in order to make it happen. So I went to Jim's Place, he said that he could get it done at no additional fee, but was very specific about me "not telling anyone about this", which frankly sketches me out quite a bit. Any insights?

<<but was very specific about me "not telling anyone about this", >>

Duhhhhhh

• Like 2

Sounds like the consulate is requesting more kickback fees, are the staff Thai or Malaysian and are they fasting?

It's more to do with Thai Immigration becoming stricter with issuing the correct Visas for long term stayers.

Sounds like the consulate is requesting more kickback fees, are the staff Thai or Malaysian and are they fasting?

It's more to do with Thai Immigration becoming stricter with issuing the correct Visas for long term stayers.

Thai Immigration has nothing to do with visa issuing.

MFA are in charge and things can change at certain Consulates, however Penang is still one of the easiest ones.

• Like 1

They may be from the "agents".

The guy at the window who accepts the applications is definitely Thai - very efficient.

The staff inside looked Thai.

MFA are in charge and things can change at certain Consulates, however Penang is still one of the easiest ones.

Thai Immigration will help set the rules on what can be issued under what circumstances and Thai Immigration will say whether you enter the country or not, no matter what stamp you might pay someone off for.

If you think by paying some agent a back hander to get you a stamp, I would be careful. There are plenty of moody stamps going around.

You find that out when it's all too late.

• Like 1

Thai Immigration will help set the rules on what can be issued under what circumstances and Thai Immigration will say whether you enter the country or not, no matter what stamp you might pay someone off for.

If you think by paying some agent a back hander to get you a stamp, I would be careful. There are plenty of moody stamps going around.

You find that out when it's all too late.

As "VisaRunner" deals with Thai Immigration every single day of the year he know's a lot more than you

Thai Immigration do not issue the stamps in other country's

The issue of being denied entry into Thailand is a totally different subject and not relevant to this topic

Knowing the job "VisaRunner" does I doubt he would be involved in "moody stamps"

• Like 1

In the end I paid 230 ringgit for the visa service and transportation to the Thai border direct from the hostel. I tried going back and editing my last posts but it looks like maybe there's a time limit?

What's the usual service fee?

In the end I paid 230 ringgit for the visa service and transportation to the Thai border direct from the hostel. I tried going back and editing my last posts but it looks like maybe there's a time limit?

190 ringgit

In the past (most recently March) I paid 150 MYR to a reliable agent. I would not be surprised to see the cost increase.

Went to another agency, said I needed to pay 3,500 baht in additional fees in order to make it happen.

It looks like Penang is now counting other consulate's visas and your exempt-entries to determine whether it will be "easy or rough" (read 'expensive') to get a visa from them. Based on your experience, it appears the 'extra fee' for long-stayers goes up as you move down the chain from the agents with 'connections', through the other agents who relay through them.

Now we wait for the inevitable crackdown on whoever is taking the dough and the 'extra fees' thing ends. But the big question is, will things return to previous-normal in Penang, or will there be an arbitrary limit set on 'how long in Thailand in your passport', in order to get a visa there? Hopefully someone just needs to pay off a big bill, and things return to to previous-normal, quickly.

Immigrations don't issue visas.