RTAF welcomes its first five female pilots in 79 years’ history

webfact

RTAF welcomes its first five female pilots in 79 years’ history

1306003-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Air Force Monday welcomed five ladies who have passed the grueling tests to become the first female pilots in 79 years’ history of the RTAF.

Personally extending his well wishes to the new pilots was Air Chief Marshal Tritos Sonjaeng, the air force commander-in-chief.

The five are Flying Officer Kanchanok Chanyarak, former language teacher attached to the Air Force’s Education Department; Flying Officer Peerasri Chaipaisarn, former financial and welfare officer; Flying Pilot Chanakarn Sornjarn, a former officer attached to the education section of the Air Force Academy; Ms Sirithorn Lawansathien, an aviation graduate from Rangsit University and Bangkok Aviation Centre; and Ms Chonnisa Supawannapong, a humanities graduate Kasetsart University.

ACM Tritos said that the admission of the first five female pilots marked an important change in the RTAF. This means that women are now as capable as men in military service and they should be proud of being part of the RTAF aviators.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/167169-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-14

For everyone's sake I hope the ' grueling tests ' were exactly that and not anything like the educational system's grueling tests which everyone seems to pass with ease.

i'm not suggesting these ladies may not be capable it's just the system here doesn't engender any confidence.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

For everyone's sake I hope the ' grueling tests ' were exactly that and not anything like the educational system's grueling tests which everyone seems to pass with ease.

i'm not suggesting these ladies may not be capable it's just the system here doesn't engender any confidence.

I wonder if its anything like the mental and physical sexual abuse grueling tests they put female recruits through in the Australian Military.

Passing Grueling Tests does not mean they have even been in an aircraft yet. It could mean passing the test to start being a pilot...could it not....give people some credit, at least until we know different

Edited by Caps

Good news, seems like a long time coming, especially for non-combat ops. (which is pretty much all the Thai armed services have I guess, save gunning down fellow citizens of course).

Hopefully their male comrades/superior officers treat them professionally and with respect.

And if they make stupid jokes about them on LINE, at least use a pseudonym. Or plan on moving over to Nok Air.

Edited by mtls2005

Passing Grueling Tests does not mean they have even been in an aircraft yet. It could mean passing the test to start being a pilot...could it not....give people some credit, at least until we know different

Post # 2

The slogan in the background of the photo reads - 'One of The Best Air Forces in Asean'

Huge claim, given that ASEAN consists all of ten nations, including the regional military 'powers' of Laos, Cambodia, Brunei and Myanmar.

Good news, seems like a long time coming, especially for non-combat ops. (which is pretty much all the Thai armed services have I guess, save gunning down fellow citizens of course).

Hopefully their male comrades/superior officers treat them professionally and with respect.

And if they make stupid jokes about them on LINE, at least use a pseudonym. Or plan on moving over to Nok Air.

The first part of your reaction is so stupid, I guess I will pass comment.

Most likely to fly some light, single prop engines planes like Cessna 152's and Pipers cubs, not like they're going

to fly a combat planes F16's any time soon....

You're a pilot in the RTF and know that? You know their aviation background, training and experience?

If so, please share it so we can see why you've made that assessment.

Most likely to fly some light, single prop engines planes like Cessna 152's and Pipers cubs, not like they're going

You're a pilot in the RTF and know that? You know their aviation background, training and experience?

There are some women pilots that are some of the best pilots in the world flying some very sophisticated planes .ezzra proberly has never got father then the "cheap" seats in the rear of a passenger plane..Hey F4U,Navy or Marine ?

I wonder if its anything like the mental and physical sexual abuse grueling tests they put female recruits through in the Australian Military.

One can not compare one country's military training with another unless you have inside knowledge of each and not just stupid assumption based on opinion.Some of the military personnel here trained by US Marines and UK special Units are pretty damn good.any fault is in the command ,not the soldier or pilot. JW former JUSMAG

Tammy (Lamai) Duckworth, born in Bangkok to a Thai mother, was a Blackhawk (co-) pilot for the U.S. Army. By all accounts quite capable and brave. Not much you can do when you get hit with an RPG. Now a Congress-woman, running for the Senate.

The U.S. had WASPs in 1943.

Still small numbers in the U.S. armed services (by percentage) but a long history. On the commercial side slightly more, but still less than 10% I think.

It seems like a lot of the Thai ATC controllers are female, at least that was my impression listening in Thai airspace.

I think you will find in due course that these ladies have only passed the basic tests to see if they are suitable candidates for Pilot Training. They will now start their pilot training.

Yes, I think that is correct. None of them is displaying Aviator's Wings badges.

There are some women pilots that are some of the best pilots in the world flying some very sophisticated planes .ezzra proberly has never got father then the "cheap" seats in the rear of a passenger plane..Hey F4U,Navy or Marine ?

Neither jim, I'm not American. I'm ex Australian Air Force and 25 years in airlines.

I think you will find in due course that these ladies have only passed the basic tests to see if they are suitable candidates for Pilot Training. They will now start their pilot training.

I may be mistaken, recall not as good as it once was, but I think II recall reading on TV that they had qualified as private pilots, and then recruited by RTAF. May be wrong.

Having even a private licence entitles one to wear a full wing insignia.

Edited by F4UCorsair

They were all just naughty boys having a good time! I don't know what you'd call the senior officers who forced their way with other female service women? The Australian Officer Corps hasn't had a decent officer either before or after General Sir John Monash! thumbsup.gifsmile.pngwai.gif