Bringing Thaksin To Account

marshbags

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He'll only learn that staying in the UK on his British citizenship sucks compared to staying in Thailand on his Thai citizenship. Perhaps, during an especially bitter British Winter night, he may one day realize that following the rules and traditions of both countries is necessary to enjoy the privilege of moving back and forth freely at will between the two.

The PAD/Dems have not prosecuted any of their men, military and otherwise, who were responsible for the drug war killings. Indeed, a full indictment of the current administration is warranted over this matter in addition to previous administrations.

First things first... a top down approach starting with Thaksin works best. :o

The ones running the government are arguably of more immediate concern I would think. We might be waiting years before anything happens to Thaksin (holed up in Dubai) meanwhile the other perps are at large.

Besides, a top down approach clearly wouldn't work, there is enough evidence to suggest there was at least implicit support from all corners of thai society, from the very very top to the bottom.

Thaksin, as the top leader, head of the government and who initiated the program of mass murder needs to be the first indicted.

I think when mc2 talked about the top down he meant the top down.

He'll only learn that staying in the UK on his British citizenship sucks compared to staying in Thailand on his Thai citizenship. Perhaps, during an especially bitter British Winter night, he may one day realize that following the rules and traditions of both countries is necessary to enjoy the privilege of moving back and forth freely at will between the two.

Leave the poor fellow alone.He's just been humiliated in public and in any case he's a marginal figure most Thais have never heard of.What is more despite his redundant and out of date ideology he is from what I understand a decent human being, and not lacking in courage either.In a way you might not understand he is also very much of the Thai family, well connected and a "belonger" in a way that Thaksin never could be.I think the people who matter sigh when they hear about Giles' latest escapade: they don't hate him.More to the point the rules and traditions you refer to were largely invented in the recent past.Even Khun Abhisit concedes the law in question has been abused and needs to be changed.

Incidentally after more than 20 years in the Kingdom I often miss a brisk English winter night.

Edited by jayboy

He'll only learn that staying in the UK on his British citizenship sucks compared to staying in Thailand on his Thai citizenship.

The UK is a great place to live. It can be far more rewarding than Thailand and has more to offer than beach resorts and cheap companionship, weather notwithstanding. Of course that's exactly why Abhisit himself was born and educated there. :o

No need to live in fear of being locked up without legal representation or due process either.

Edited by Oberkommando

First things first... a top down approach starting with Thaksin works best. :o

The ones running the government are arguably of more immediate concern I would think. We might be waiting years before anything happens to Thaksin (holed up in Dubai) meanwhile the other perps are at large.

Besides, a top down approach clearly wouldn't work, there is enough evidence to suggest there was at least implicit support from all corners of thai society, from the very very top to the bottom.

Thaksin, as the top leader, head of the government and who initiated the program of mass murder needs to be the first indicted.

I think when mc2 talked about the top down he meant the top down.

I'll leave it to mc2 to point out specifically who and what he meant.

Leave the poor fellow alone.He's just been humiliated in public and in any case he's a marginal figure most Thais have never heard of.What is more despite his redundant and out of date ideology he is from what I understand a decent human being, and not lacking in courage either.In a way you might not understand he is also very much of the Thai family, well connected and a "belonger" in a way that Thaksin never could be.I think the people who matter sigh when they hear about Giles' latest escapade: they don't hate him.More to the point the rules and traditions you refer to were largely invented in the recent past.Even Khun Abhisit concedes the law in question has been abused and needs to be changed.

Incidentally after more than 20 years in the Kingdom I often miss a brisk English winter night.

True he is quite marginal and most Thais say, "Giles Who?" when he's mentioned. And besides, he is off-topic to the thread.

As for the one-off brisk night, that's certainly more acceptable than the frigid night after night that drags on for weeks... which will be his situation. Anyway, good luck to him. He needs it, I think.

Edited by sriracha john

Lets just say that many of the people involved, from the ones that fired the guns to the ones that gave the orders, to the ones that gave their implicit and explicit support, are still in the current government, or military or in other very high ranks in Thai society, so unfortunately I don't expect any action to be taken soon or ever, as there will be too much resistance from these people, (who are the ones who pull the strings).

hes not a hobo,

you never heard of central heating ??

Lets just say that many of the people involved, from the ones that fired the guns to the ones that gave the orders, to the ones that gave their implicit and explicit support, are still in the current government, or military or in other very high ranks in Thai society, so unfortunately I don't expect any action to be taken soon or ever, as there will be too much resistance from these people, (who are the ones who pull the strings).

I think most of us got your point originally.It doesn't go over well with those who believe Thaksin is totally responsible for every evil that plagues the country.

Ok, let's start with executing bystanders who didn't raise the alarm when unknown, armed untis were enforcing Prime Minister's policy. They are they ones who should go down first.

Next on the list should be Abhisit.

That would be satisfying to some of our members, I think.

Ok, let's start with executing bystanders who didn't raise the alarm when unknown, armed untis were enforcing Prime Minister's policy. They are they ones who should go down first.

Next on the list should be Abhisit.

That would be satisfying to some of our members, I think.

No that's inappropriate, and in any event nobody's talking about execution here.I take your point (and agree with it) that those ordinary citizens who stood by and did nothing have committed no offence

Thaksin clearlyseems to be the most culpable person, although one should be careful not to rush to judgement before judicial process.

As to others involved -obviously we're talking about very high level people in politics, the police and army and elsewhere, they too must be brought to account if active participants or gave overt public support (whether hedged with qualifications or not).

According to the Post Abhisit is going to have his own little crackdown. It does however, sound different in tone. Wonder how Thaksin will lecture the government on his next phone in at how he would do it better.......
PM promises drugs crackdown

From the Post: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...n-six-months-pm

This unelected government is determined to surpass Thaksin's grubby human rights record of extra-judicial killings in a matter of months. They may have already done so. They certainly have already outdone Thaksin when it comes to censorship of media and the internet and abuses of due process while in Police custody (see Da Torpedo).

No doubt the Abhisit fan club will make every excuse in the book as to the legitimacy of the Democrat 'War On Drugs' and human rights abuses thereof while still bumping their gums about Thaksin, as they have done committedly with the systematic murder and abuse of the Rohingyas.

But then that is what he is there for. A young intelligent man as a front while the sinister activities continue unabated in the background. It certainly seems to have some posters here fooled. Hook, line and sinker.

Just another rehash of TRT policy and further evidence why the Democrats were unelectable and look set to remain so.

Edited by Oberkommando

According to the Post Abhisit is going to have his own little crackdown. It does however, sound different in tone. Wonder how Thaksin will lecture the government on his next phone in at how he would do it better.......
PM promises drugs crackdown

From the Post: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...n-six-months-pm

This unelected government is determined to surpass Thaksin's grubby human rights record of extra-judicial killings in a matter of months. They may have already done so. They certainly have already outdone Thaksin when it comes to censorship of media and the internet and abuses of due process while in Police custody (see Da Torpedo).

No doubt the Abhisit fan club will make every excuse in the book as to the legitimacy of the Democrat 'War On Drugs' and human rights abuses thereof while still bumping their gums about Thaksin, as they have done committedly with the systematic murder and abuse of the Rohingyas.

But then that is what he is there for. A young intelligent man as a front while the sinister activities continue unabated in the background. It certainly seems to have some posters here fooled. Hook, line and sinker.

Just another rehash of TRT policy and further evidence why the Democrats were unelectable and look set to remain so.

I dont think they will take that tact actually, and whatever anyone thinks of the government the fact is they are nowhere near Thaksin in terms of human rights abuse or abuses of due process (drugs war etc on both counts). Most of Da Torpedo stuff happened under the previous government by the way. If drug war style extra-judicial killings kick off under Abhisit of course people will not condone it.

You may well get an election before the end of the year to test quite how unelectable they are. Not much point debating it until then.

This unelected government...

While Hammered has already mentioned that a new election is likely in the next 9-12 months, I don't understand the comment that this is an unelected government. Actually, all the MP's in this government were elected just like all the MP's in the previous governments. In fact, several of the MP's in both governments are the same people. Why is one coalition of elected MP's considered an elected government and then another coalition of elected MP's considered an unelected government? In Thailand, governments don't get elected, MP's do and then a coalition is formed. That is how it works here.

Of course the Rohinga incident was based on policies put in place by the previous government.

In 1-2 months, it is not possible to do a total review of every policy statement or command left in place,

by your predicessors, but not left out on your desktop.

Abhisit was sand bagged by this and the opposition is making the most of it.

Even if THEIR side left that policy. They just hadn't been caught doing it

before they were removed by the courts.

I am not happy with how and how fast it is being investigated but can't highly fault

Abhisit for having to play catch up both in investigation and potential change of policy.

But that makes no matter to those who detest him on basic principles.

I just can't see any better choice for his chair at the present time in any quarter,

least of all PTP's.

These pathetic attempts to remove him on any possible potential pretext

are doing the people a disservice for the coming economic storm.

But partisan pleasures and worries about purist philisophical democracy

seem to trump common sense these days. To all our disservice.

While Hammered has already mentioned that a new election is likely in the next 9-12 months, I don't understand the comment that this is an unelected government. Actually, all the MP's in this government were elected just like all the MP's in the previous governments. In fact, several of the MP's in both governments are the same people. Why is one coalition of elected MP's considered an elected government and then another coalition of elected MP's considered an unelected government? In Thailand, governments don't get elected, MP's do and then a coalition is formed. That is how it works here.

When the ones you want in are catagorically excluded, nulled and neutered.

No matter what they say and do.

When the ones you want in are catagorically excluded, nulled and neutered.

No matter what they say and do.

Given it was done in the courts, based on the rule of law, I would think again about the ones you want in.

Sure seems like this has to be explained repeatedly on just about every thread.

It would be a good candidate for pinning so we can just refer the next poster that comes along with the same rhetoric to it rather than typing and re-typing it over and over.

Edited by sriracha john

It would be a good candidate for pinning so we can just refer the next poster that comes along with the same rhetoric to it rather than typing and re-typing it over and over.

Is it to do with those used to a presidential system not understanding the workings of a parliamentary system or is it just rather poor attempts at scoring political points or attempts to create a politcal meme?

Is it to do with those used to a presidential system not understanding the workings of a parliamentary system or is it just rather poor attempts at scoring political points or attempts to create a politcal meme?

former/ latter 60/40

Either you weren't in Thailand during the Thaksin years or else you paid no attention to daily news. I work for a news agency in Bangkok and my Thai colleagues would refute your assertion that censorship of the media or abuses of due process are worse under the Democrats.

In case you missed them, here are a few of the prominent stories from 2001-02 that testify to the relative lack of gov't transparency, the push towards an imperial executive branch (overstepping prime ministerial powers time and again, not to mention micro-managing legislation), and increasing media restrictions.

iTV sacks 23 news staff amid protests

7 February 2001

BANGKOK—Thailand's attempt to have an 'independent' television news station collapsed when 23 staffers were sacked after protesting alleged interference in their coverage of Thaksin Shinawatra, leader of the Thai Rak Thai party. Thaksin's family and cronies held a large share of Shin Corp, which ran iTV. 'We will fight to get iTV back from Thaksin, to the public,' said news editor Patiwat Wasikachat. 'The investment group that wants the administrative power, has openly threatened the freedom in news reports and opinions of the mass media,' said the Thai Journalists Association. 'I am deep in the hot seat,' Thaksin said.

Thaksin unleashes war on drugs

12 March 2001

BANGKOK—Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced a war on drugs, meting out the death penalty for traffickers, while insisting he wanted to cure addicts. 'Methamphetamines are harming our people, even though the authorities are working hard to fight the scourge,' Thaksin said. On April 18, four drug traffickers were shot dead in Bang Kwang prison. 'You have to consider the pain and suffering caused by drug abuse to our youth,' said Thaksin's office minister Gen Thammarak Issarangkun who witnessed the executions. Another 33 drug traffickers were sentenced to death in August. Amnesty International described Thaksin's policy as 'assembly line executions.'

Thaksin travels to mysterious destinations

8 July 2001

BANGKOK—Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra reportedly travelled to New Zealand's resort of Queenstown to unwind in a luxury hotel, but secrecy surrounded his visit and his staff insisted he was actually on a holiday in Singapore. Thaksin announced on a radio programme that he needed to 'recharge his batteries' and enjoy quiet time to read and reflect. 'He is on a private trip,' said Thaksin's spokesman Yongyuth Piyapairat, indicating Thaksin was in New Zealand with his wife and brother-in-law.

Public losing faith in government

3 December 2001

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's government was losing public support because it made big promises which never came true, an Abac survey said. More than 72 percent of 4,240 people surveyed in 22 provinces were happy with Thaksin's 30-baht health care scheme, but most were disappointed with the government's handling of unemployment, illegal drugs, low prices for farm produce, police failures, political squabbles and seemingly endless economic woes. 'The poll findings indicate the government is facing a lot of problems that may affect its credibility and stability,' Abac said.

Thailand destroying freedom of the press

31 December 2001

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was destroying freedom of the press, by using government-owned media to spread propaganda and stifle criticism of his performance. The Thai Journalists Association dubbed 2001 'the year of media interference' and cited government abuse of newspapers, magazines, radios and television. Police issued warnings to reporters and editors about stories concerning Thaksin's alleged concealment of his wealth, they said. The army muzzled its TV station so it could not interview a Thai female monk who wanted to talk about discrimination against women within the Buddhist clergy. Other government repression included threats against journalists and other heavy-handed measures.

'Silent coup' attempt creates fear

Prime Minister achieves greater power

19 February 2002

BANGKOK—The government proposed a 'master law' to quickly amend all previous laws, without having to ask Parliament, raising fears that it would unfairly empower Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his Cabinet. The proposed Civil Service Administrative Reform Bill was denounced by critics as a backward step, which would delete many of their hard-won reforms, and obliterate Parliament's oversight role.

'The government will bypass Parliament and seize the power to dominate the bureaucracy,' said Thammasat University's Law Faculty Dean, Surapol Nitikraipoj. 'The bill is akin to signing a cheque without putting down the figure, and letting the cabinet fill it in,' and would also enable Thaksin and his cabinet to write 'new cheques'—similar to blank cheques—enabling them to hurriedly amend as many laws as they chose, Surapol said.

The bill's supporters, however, said it would streamline the system of creating and amending laws, and reduce the cumbersome and often politicised role of the bureaucracy which they claimed was stifling Thailand's progress and allowing a cluster of unelected officials to maintain a choke-hold on the creation of laws. But ignoring Parliament when creating or amending laws was like 'a silent coup'

Two foreign correspondents may be expelled

Far Eastern Economic Review in trouble

23 February 2002

BANGKOK—Police asked the Interior Ministry to deport two Bangkok-based foreign correspondents, and blacklist their colleagues in Hong Kong, for a story which indicated the relationship between Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and the King was not harmonious. The respected Far Eastern Economic Review magazine's Shawn Crispin and Rodney Tasker were held responsible for a column published in the January 10 issue's 'Intelligence' column. After costly and time-consuming legal manoeuvres, Crispin and Tasker were allowed to remain in Thailand, and appeared thankful the case against them was closed.

'We are a Buddhist country,' said National Police Chief Sant Sarutanond. 'If they repent and apologise, heavy penalties can become light.' Immigration officials scrapped a February 23 order which had revoked American and British journalists' visas. 'We are well aware of sensitive issues, and Thai traditions and customs, particularly in respect to the monarchy,' the magazine said in a letter. 'We can assure that all of us have no intention to violate Thai traditions, or cause any disturbance in Thai society.'

Political reform is a 'mirage'

Law experts want to limit PM's tenure

25 November 2002

BANGKOK—The Constitution should be amended to limit the prime minister to a single term, and allow members of Parliament to compete in elections independently, because the current Constitution allowed a 'dictatorship of political businessmen,' according to a prominent legal expert. Real, democratic political reform under the Constitution was impossible because wealthy tycoons had used the system to seize power and monopolise their control, claimed public law expert Amorn Chantarasomboon, whose views were echoed by some other legal experts.

The Constitution shifted power from previous military or civilian dictatorships to a new cluster of businessmen who became politicians so they could profit from their own form of repressive rule, they said. 'We thought the Constitution was the only way out,' Amorn said. 'However it is not. The charge was merely a mirage in the desert. We believed we had reached our destination. In fact, our destination is far off.' Amorn pointed to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his majority coalition in Parliament. 'With most votes in his hands, the prime minister is in control of everything, including the system that will keep checks and balances on him.'

Thaksin's visit to India

Personal or in the national interest?

31 January 2002

DELHI, INDIA—Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra flew to India for a secretive eight- hour visit, while denying he went to secure contracts for his family's Shin Satellite company. 'I really need to go to India for some important matters that I cannot tell the media,' Thaksin said. 'I can assure you, one million percent, I am not there for personal things.'

New Delhi leases 10 C-band transponders from Shin Satellite's ThaiCom satellite, but technology stock watchers said India might cancel seven of those contracts when they expire in March, because India was placing its own C-band transponders in space. Shin's yearly lease with India was reportedly worth 1.5 million US dollars, per transponder. 'I hope the prime minister will not use his office to negotiate a private business deal,' said Abhi

Thaksin fears taxi gossip

Insists propaganda afoot

26 March 2002

BANGKOK—Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on his weekly radio address that his political enemies were riding in taxis as passengers, and spreading malicious gossip against him, so that the drivers would bad-mouth Thaksin to other passengers. 'The government will take legal action against anyone caught spreading rumours,' warned the prime minister's Sec-Gen Prommin Lertsuriyadej. 'An investigation will be ordered.' Taxi drivers however said it was impossible to organise them to be a squad of vocal hacks for political purposes. 'Are they going to hire me to pass malicious gossip?' one cab driver said, mocking the idea. 'Even if I did hear gossip from a passenger, I would not repeat it,' said another driver.

opposition Democrat party.

Urine tests mandatory in schools

10 January 2002

BANGKOK—Urine tests became mandatory in all schools and universities in an effort to identify students who took methamphetamines and other drugs. Parents needed to give their approval, and any students who were found to have used drugs would be given treatment. 'Usually half of those involved with drugs are users and dealers,' said a Mental Health Department official. 'Families and schools can protect younger children.' Law Society Chairman Sak Korsaengrueng however said mandatory urine tests could infringe on students' rights if there was no well-founded reason to subject a person to the test. The tests were also too expensive and not fool-proof, said Deputy Education Minister Sirikorn Maneerin. 'The scheme would cost at least 80 baht a head, and there is no guarantee that it would work,' she said.

Thaksin bans 'arousing' sex education book

30 January 2002

BANGKOK—Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said a sex education handbook for teenagers contained improper language and was too blunt, so he banned it. The booklet about intercourse, masturbation, menstruation, AIDS, premarital sex, and birth control, was distributed by the Prime Minister's Office, but not all 100,000 copies were handed out before the ban. Some government officials objected to the book's use of the phrase 'chuk wao' (flying a kite), and 'tok bet' (hooking fish), which were slang for masturbation, and claimed parts of the book could be 'sex arousing

Nation will no longer talk politics

6 March 2002

BANGKOK—The Nation Multimedia Group chose self-censorship to protest interference in its news coverage, and announced it would not broadcast political programmes on its TV and radio channels. 'We will temporarily suspend our political programmes until we can be certain there will not be any interference,' the Nation Group said. The Nation Multimedia Group operated pay-TV channel UBC 8, and FM radio 90.5 MHz which it used in an agreement with its owner, the Defence Ministry. The ministry ordered a ban on all Nation programmes because the group repeatedly criticised Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's government in 'unconstructive ways.'

Bank tells Thaksin not to talk about the baht

15 July 2002

BANGKOK—The Central Bank wanted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to stop talking about the baht's value because confusion over his speculation, compounded by a newspaper's mistake, weakened the currency. The Bank of Thailand's Governor, Pridiyathorn Devakula, said Thaksin's mouth and the media snafu helped the baht weaken a tiny bit to 40.87 against the US dollar. The Bangkok Post admitted it incorrectly quoted Thaksin as saying the baht could suddenly strengthen to an amazing 30 to the US dollar in the near future. Thaksin's spokesman then insisted the prime minister actually said the value could appreciate to 'three-something', and meant 38-39.

Either you weren't in Thailand during the Thaksin years or else you paid no attention to daily news.

I have lived in South East Asia for 24 years.

I work for a news agency in Bangkok and my Thai colleagues would refute your assertion that censorship of the media or abuses of due process are worse under the Democrats.

How do they account for the thousands of websites closed down in the last few weeks, or this government's clampdown on LM and their stated intention to continue to do so and make it a priority of this administration?

Or are they as I suspect, staffers on the two English language publications that continue to show support and bias towards this new administration?

In case you missed them, here are a few of the prominent stories from 2001-02 that testify to the relative lack of gov't transparency, the push towards an imperial executive branch (overstepping prime ministerial powers time and again, not to mention micro-managing legislation), and increasing media restrictions.

I didn't miss them, however posting them here (amongst other articles of absolutely no relevance) is not evidence that this unelected government has not already surpassed the TRT in its interference and censorship of the media, which I contend they already have.

Neither, just a simple statement to clarify this current administration did not win a general election and thus do not have a mandate from the people to be in power.

Obfuscation - 90%

Genuinely unaware of the inner workings of the parliamentary system - 10%

Obfuscation - 90%

Genuinely unaware of the inner workings of the parliamentary system - 10%

Political monochromatic blindness 40%, Obtuseness 30%, can't lose gracefully 20%, sour grapes 10%

Honestly, it's probably got more to do with most people feeling uncomfortable with the coup of 2006 and the junta's constitution. In any case, someday Abhisit will stand before the Thai people and ask for their vote. I truly expect that he will win. He will have a stack of 2000 baht checks to help persuade the populace!