Am I liable, and what do I do?

anselpixel

Report it stolen?

That's harsh, but it occurred to me.

I'd only do that if I find I'm fully liable.

If you done that that would be the dumbest ass action anyone could do. Filing a criminal report with the police, wasting police time and resources on a wild goose chase holds serious consequences, up to 3 years imprisonment and a hefty fine. You can only do that if the vehicle still belongs to you, you want it back and your ex refuses to return the truck to you, then I guess that would be civil not criminal.

You should visit the office where the vehicle was registered, explain the situation and ask them what to do. That`s what any person with even half a brain cell would do.

A response without insults would probably be more effective and appreciated. If you're going to be abusive and condescending, maybe it's best to keep your views to yourself. The OP asked a legitimate question and others are trying to offer advice. There are so many ways you could have made your point without being an **s. Try it next time. Have a good day!

Just tell your ex if she does not transfer it to her name you will take the truck back. Even offer to go with her to the transfer office. Send the message via email, line or have a lawer do it so you have a written record if she decides to get nasty at a later date. My guess is like most Thais she is just to lazy to do it. Sooner or later she will need some cash flow if you have broken up with her. The only other reason is she owes loan sharks and does not want the truck in her name as she will have to hand it over.

Contact the Police immediately and explain the situation. Take a translator with you in the event you need one.

Ask them for their advice.

Contact a competent, licensed, Thai lawyer and request his advice.

Always make copies of everything.

In my opinion, in the event of an accident, or death, you would get sued and would have to defend yourself with documentation.

You are at risk now.

Prepare now!!

Edited by Kabula

going to the police is a waste of time

No, it is not. If you made a police report you're done with it.

you have experience of this ? yes if you go to the police you sure are done with it.

you will not hear from the police. as i said best sorted out with the wife.

What does it matter if you hear from police or not? The point is you made a report. Welcome to Thailand smile.png

"You know there is a fee to transfer the ownership, did you give her money for it or do you expect her to pay?"

Shameful expecting someone to pay to transfer a free car into their own name,what was he thinking? rolleyes.gif

Let's keep it simple shall we.

You signed over the truck via transfer forms.

End of concern for you unless you don't have a copy of the signed transfer form.

Let's say you don't have a copy of the transfer form....... and you report the car stolen by your "ex"

1. your "ex" responds with her having the "transfer form" and therefore proves herself negligent

2. the family of your "ex" makes an unfriendly visit to your domain

on a different note:

1. make a secret visit to her place and destroy the truck as much as possible

2. the insurance process will bring all of these finagling issues to the foreground