Clinton seeks truce with Sanders after final primary win

webfact

Clinton seeks truce with Sanders after final primary win

606x341_335625.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- Hillary Clinton has formally wrapped up the U.S. Democratic presidential primaries with a 79 percent win in Washington, D.C. Her focus is now on uniting the party and securing the support of defeated Bernie Sanders in the race to the White House.

The pair met for more than an hour and a half behind closed doors on Tuesday night (June 14). Earlier in the day, Sanders had signaled he was not ready to endorse Clinton just yet, and that he would continue fighting to transform the Democratic party.

Observers say he’s resisting to win concessions from Clinton — to get the party to lean more towards the left and be more open to young and independent voters.

Ahead of his face-to-face with Clinton, Sanders told reporters he would demand changes to make the Democratic nominating process more equitable, including by getting rid of superdelegates, who are unelected and free to support any candidate.

“The idea that we had in this case 400 superdelegates pledged to a candidate some eight months or more before the first ballot was cast is to my mind absurd,” Sanders said.

He and Clinton did not make any comment immediately after their meeting, but both camps labeled the discussion “positive.” They said the two were committed to stopping Trump and pursuing issues such as raising the minimum wage, making higher education affordable and healthcare coverage more accessible.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-15

I'm surprised that Bernie lost by such a large margin (21%-79%) in DC, but at least he got his wish to fight until the last primary.

With Trump's rhetoric following the Florida tragedy, very difficult to see how his supporters can choose to stay home come November.

Trump's excruciating remarks in the last couple of days will boost Hillary's poll numbers versus Trump's, thereby weakening Bernie's negotiating power.

Bernie should strike a deal this week, before the next polls come out showing Hillary's increased lead against Trump.

Yeah, that's a high percentage in D.C.

But about D.C.

They're last and small so they NEVER matter in primaries.

Clinton already won so why bother to schlep to the polls to vote for Sanders.

D.C. is heavily African American and that demographic has strongly preferred Clinton all along.

On to the convention, but more important, on to the general election to save the USA from the fascism of the vile monster.

Sanders is looking for concessions for his support. He has a great loyal backing and that will bring negotiating power. He's fought with Debbie Wasserman the DNC Chair and wants to get rid of her and Superdelegates.

Bernie knows how important Trump's defeat is and I hope he'll will come around soon and throw in with HRC. I'd like to see Wasserman go, she's useless.

I think Sanders run has been a positive thing for the Dems and some of his positions will change the Democrat's platform.

I want to think Bernie is coming aboard. We've got a bigger fish to fry in this election than Bernie's hurt feelings.

Hey, where are the wingnuts with their "she's a criminal" nonsense? Every mention of HRC brings out the racist haters spewing their bile.

Oh wait, here comes one now...

Hey, where are the wingnuts with their "she's a criminal" nonsense? Every mention of HRC brings out the racist haters spewing their bile.

Oh wait, here comes one now...

Ever hear of the pot calling the kettle......?

If Clinton had any sense at all she should try to get Bernie as her vice President. She has low credibility and he has some passionate supporters. He would certainly strengthen her position but will she see that? Unlikely as she will see him as a constant thorn in her side.

If Clinton had any sense at all she should try to get Bernie as her vice President. She has low credibility and he has some passionate supporters. He would certainly strengthen her position but will she see that? Unlikely as she will see him as a constant thorn in her side.

I'm amazed that anyone thinks that's a good idea.

Bernie doesn't even want that.

The way for Clinton to do that play is to pick Warren.

Warren will loose all credibility if she accepts VP position, and rightly so. Clinton may want her as it is a sure way to silence her much needed voice. Those 2 are as distant from each other as Bernie is from Clinton. Warren is needed in the Senate to be like Bernie will be, a thorn in Clinton's side for the next 4 years, which is all she will serve as president until booted out. Then hopefully Warren becomes president.

That's too funny.

It's OBVIOUS Warren wants to be VP.

I'm not sure it's the best tactic for Hillary to win.

That's the priority now.

The USA needs to be saved from the vile monster ... he's a clear and present danger.

We've got some FAR LEFT extremists posting here but the reality is the vast majority of Bernie supporters are going to fall in line for Hillary because the vile monster is that horrible.

It may be that Hillary needs to go more centrist with her VP because that's the real battle ground ... the great MIDDLE.

Edited by Jingthing

Two women could be a handicap for the democrats, just too much for many Americans to stomach, one woman is bad enough for some.

Possibly. I reckon the Clinton campaign is researching that. But there is a plus side. It would likely enthuse more younger women who don't feel Hillary in a feminist way.