Credit card data stolen by cashier at big department store passed onto farang ATM skimmers

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good reason to use cash.........................coffee1.gif

They secretly got the data while the customer wasn't looking-----cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Customers seem to have faith in the big and well known companies and that their systems are foolproof. My girlfriend always says, no need to check the bill because they never make mistakes, but I always do and have found errors, usually in their favour on occasions but must admit it is on rare occasions.

When things like the OP happen it can cause terrible damage to the reputation of a large and long established company. These companies create a lot of employment and also carry a lot of power, we`re not talking about a food stall in the market here. My guess is that once these criminals are caught they are going to be crucified, there is no way they are going to be able to buy themselves out of this one.

How do Bekasau Vadzim and Bekau Aliaksandr waltz into an up-market store and buy gear with a dodgy card? Foreigners are usually asked to produce their passport when making card purchases - surely they didn't use their own.

And why didn't they just use ATMs to get cash?

I have never been asked for my passport, never, in probably over a dozen countries.

I am with Kbank and they notify me by text message as soon as there is a transaction on my card ..great service ..

How much does Kasikorn Bank charge for this SMS service?
It's 200 baht per year Edited by Chalard

Hard to believe that a farang gang, made the necessary contacts with department store cashiers, and got this organized in such a short time (arrived 8 June)?

Leads me to think this gang has been operating in Thailand for some time already.

What is the rest of the story?

My bank has automatic fraud prevention detection and will call me for confirmation whenever a series of questionable charges come up, and always calls when a foreign country charge comes up. Additionally, 99% of US banks will easily reverse charges and refund the money that was stolen even if the perps weren't proven

How do Bekasau Vadzim and Bekau Aliaksandr waltz into an up-market store and buy gear with a dodgy card? Foreigners are usually asked to produce their passport when making card purchases - surely they didn't use their own.

Perhaps they purchased items online and had them shipped somewhere, but usually these kinds of thieves sell the cards. As for ATM withdrawals, every transaction is on video usually and ATM cards have a default daily limit.

My bank has automatic fraud prevention detection and will call me for confirmation whenever a series of questionable charges come up, and always calls when a foreign country charge comes up. Additionally, 99% of US banks will easily reverse charges and refund the money that was stolen even if the perps weren't proven

Mine too. But there are about four different contexts being discussed here. One is US or other western credit card being used by foreigner in Thailand. Yes - those losses would usually be insured. 2nd is US or western debit card use in Thailand - some will even refund ATM fees. 3rd is THAI credit card being used by expat in Thailand (any "insurance" against loss probably VERY problematic, as mentioned). Last is THAI debit or ATM card being used by expat in Thailand (more easily obtained even by those with tourist status, but again, probably very difficult to recoup any losses due to theft or fraud experienced).

If you're a fulltime resident expat in Thailand, obtaining or keeping a credit or debit card from your home country might be difficult.

I have a Bangkok bank account and refused an ATM card or Debit card for this very reason, the only way I can withdraw money is in person in the bank, slightly inconveneint but I can live with it

I have a debit and credit card and use them frequently as they are much more convenient than cash for my limited grocery and fuel costs, but I have to say if these scammers got hold of my info they'd break down and cry. There's almost sweet FA in both.

I've been using credit and debit cards in Thailand frequently for many years, and I've only had one problem. Last year my details were skimmed and my credit card was charged to the tune of 37,000 baht for a hotel in London, leaving me to believe it was skimmed and/or details taken while I was in the UK. Citibank (Thailand) were great - I filled out a fraud claim form and the money was re-credited two weeks later. Like others, I have spending alerts on all my cards and I get an SMS whenever my card is used for in-store purchases, and for online purchases a code gets sent to my mobile phone. I have just changed my KBank Debit/ATM to a chip card so as to be more secure. I also get an SMS from KBank each and every time my card is used, and I'm charged 20 baht/month for this service.

Edited by Wiggy

Why can't these people just be law abiding (do unto others as you would have them do unto you)? I've used my foreign CC a hand full of times without worry or passport. Keep my banking abroad just like the Junta boss (there is something slipping). Government is pushing towards a cashless society, even here - so. Yeah cash is convenient for normal stuff but for major purchases it's not. Why blank out faces, why not state company names? Could that be deemed as the truth? Could it have implications for the faulty/fraudulent parties (what did they pay for faceless accusation)? Lots of questions, as usual typically nothing significant answered.

Every time I make a purchase at the Decathlon store on Rama 4 Road, I always use a credit card and the cashier requests my phone number. The request comes accross as a bit strange as the wording is "Give me your mobile number" my reply is alway "No" and they then proceed to type in a number.

If they are wanting the number for promotion advertising they should set up a loyalty card and then they will be able to receive my number, but until then they will be hearing my reply as No.

Every time I make a purchase at the Decathlon store on Rama 4 Road, I always use a credit card and the cashier requests my phone number. The request comes accross as a bit strange as the wording is "Give me your mobile number" my reply is alway "No" and they then proceed to type in a number.

If they are wanting the number for promotion advertising they should set up a loyalty card and then they will be able to receive my number, but until then they will be hearing my reply as No.

I thought this strange too, so I just give them a false number.

I have a Bangkok bank account and refused an ATM card or Debit card for this very reason, the only way I can withdraw money is in person in the bank, slightly inconveneint but I can live with it

Their ATM cards use chips rather than mag strips so unlikely to get skimmed.

Along with SMS alerts to my phone I hope to remain secure, that and limited and cautious use of the credit cards.

thieves. are skums! Losses are in the region of 10 million baht in just eight days. Are you totally retarded or what? Who has that amont of money on his/her card? If you do! I hope you lose it all and you will in the country of smiles.

Gosh, I hope this isolated incident of thievery is not used for a general bashing of Thais and Thailand...

Anyone who has lived here for awhile...knows this type of corruption is isolated and not wide-spread...

Thailand is wonderful...

You need the PIN for an ATM, for purchases you don't.

In third world countries, pay cash.

Edited by MissAndry

Belorussians using cards with Thai names on them? Bit of a give away?

Good point, but:

- How many times have you ever seen a cashier in a Thai department store or any business outlet made any analysis of any details on the card? Never.

- How many times have you seen a cashier in a Thai department store or any business outlet compare the signature on the CC voucher with that on the back of the card. Almost never.

- How many Thai store cashiers are familiar with typical Russian (any foreign) names? Almost none.

"Foreigners are usually asked to produce their passport when making card purchases" Are they? I have never been asked to produce my passport on a cc purchase.

"And why didn't they just use ATMs to get cash?" Maybe no PIN required for credit card payments, but required for cash withdrawal?

i bought my wife a gold bracelet in Pattaya and handed over a credit card, they refused to sell it to me until i came back with my passport.

"Foreigners are usually asked to produce their passport when making card purchases" Are they? I have never been asked to produce my passport on a cc purchase.

"And why didn't they just use ATMs to get cash?" Maybe no PIN required for credit card payments, but required for cash withdrawal?

i bought my wife a gold bracelet in Pattaya and handed over a credit card, they refused to sell it to me until i came back with my passport.
So? That does not mean or indicate 'usually asked'.

I also had my card "skimmed" or whatever you call it by the staff of land of smiles national carrier at the Calcutta India airport check in counter. I had extra baggage charges, that is why staff took my card into back room to process. Couple weeks later Master Card telephoned me to ask if I had purchased expensive handbags & electronics in Singapore. I had not been to Singapore or made those purchases. Master Card without a problem removed all the Singapore charges from my credit card.

That scam of taking the card somewhere esle to process it has been happening for decades. I've always refused the staff to allow my card out of my sight for that very reason - credit or debit card.

I also had my card "skimmed" or whatever you call it by the staff of land of smiles national carrier at the Calcutta India airport check in counter. I had extra baggage charges, that is why staff took my card into back room to process. Couple weeks later Master Card telephoned me to ask if I had purchased expensive handbags & electronics in Singapore. I had not been to Singapore or made those purchases. Master Card without a problem removed all the Singapore charges from my credit card.

That scam of taking the card somewhere esle to process it has been happening for decades. I've always refused the staff to allow my card out of my sight for that very reason - credit or debit card.

Checkin counters dont normally have a credit card machine, thats why they took your card. Its not a scam everywhere....

Checkin counters dont normally have a credit card machine, thats why they took your card. Its not a scam everywhere....

I agree it's not a scam everywhere. But I think you're better assuming it could be, and making sure you keep your card in your sight all the time.

Years ago when the imprint machine (the manual swipe machine) was used for transactions, that facilitated a scam by the staff making two imprints of your card. They later copied your signature from the real transaction and debited it to your account that way.