Oiling black plastic trim / vinyl parts

Kenny202

Never found 'ArmorAll' much good, or any of the other similar products. I buy WD40 by the gallon and spray everything except brakes, tyres and belts with it.

Owned from new and ridden in all weather including one or two seasons as sole winter transport. Has an easier life now but 25yrs of WD40 have kept it looking reasonable:-)

post-164420-0-05745800-1466328251_thumb.

Edited by Gnasher328

Maguires makes a good range of products. I use their non shiny vynal protector on everything black and plastic. Doesn't make your seat slippery either! Good Polish too. I spray my engine etc with WD 40 every now and again smells great when you fire it up after a layup.

Use Waxy. Available in 7-Eleven.

s-l300.jpg

I actually saw that today thanks mate. One thing I am worried about with products like that (same as armourall) is that they tend to turn black plastic a white colour when exposed to the sun. I remember using WD40 on my Landrover trim back home and worked a treat.

Incidentally, I saw a mint early 70's Landrover in the gas station one day. The paint was original and positively gleaming. I asked the old feller about the vehicle. He'd had it 40 or so years from new. Asked him how he kept the paint so good? Used petrol!!! to polish it every week. Who would think after 40 years of rubbing petrol on your paint it would still be in that condition. It was truly stunning. I'm guessing they used enamel paints back then as opposed to acryllics now.

• 4 weeks later...

Used petrol!!! to polish it every week. Who would think after 40 years of rubbing petrol on your paint it would still be in that condition.

In the old days the chauffeur would add a capful of diesel to the final rinse water bucket. Leaves a sheen on the paintwork.

Same principal I guess.

Use Waxy. Available in 7-Eleven.

s-l300.jpg

Good product. A riding buddy of mine put me onto it. I use it only on my gloves, leathers and boots (leather & plastic). Used it for years, with no issues. Side note, from my experience, it will stop leathers developing surface mold, if they're hanging in storage for long periods of time.