Cabbie seen jumping on a car’s bonnet faces withdrawal of driving license

rooster59

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he won't be a dime out of pocket (notwithstanding a possible deductible of 1000-2000 Baht but since this incident wasn't his fault, the deductible probably won't apply).

And also the cost of the rental if he does not have a second vehicle on hand to drive.

Talk about stupid.(owner white car) its not your country so dont think you own the road. if he was polite and let the taxi cross, no problem. a real f..................idiotclap2.gif

Ok, Have you EVER held a drivers license in ANY country around the world before????? I can NOT imagine that you have, with such a stupid response. You can CLEARLY see the line painted in the middle of the road, and the TAXI is partly on the WRONG side of the road, and then the stupid monkey is causing huge damage to the white car....Probably because he is on yaba or drunk, like most Thai drivers. If this MORON did this in most other country, he would get bashed, shot or locked up...... Learn to drive...

That was my whole point.

I have driven in many countries on business and been driving in Thailand for 10 years. Some of those countries even worse than Thailand. I have never had an issue on roads any where as i am not stupid but fully aware of my surroundings.

It is understanding that

1) it is not your country

2) local culture, which maybe drunk drivers, drug induced, hot heads etc.

3) do not provoking violence.

4) Not always having to insist you are right and the offender is wrong.

It could have been so much worse if this hot head(taxi) had a gun. Not worth risking's ones life to be correct. It is called wise.coffee1.gif

You say "wise" ... Others may agree

I say "victim"

This type of behavior is indicative of the systemic problems associated with being the worlds second placed road carnage destination.... To accept this in any way is to except the road carnage in its totality.... And therein lies the risk to us all... Including yourself

And if Thailand wants to reap the rewards from twenty million zillion tourists, it is insane to suggest that Thais are in the right, simply because they are Thais.

clap2.gifblink.png So you would rather advise people to follow the foreigners behaviour and cause a conflict and have the risk of being killed then. Submissive and wise are always good traits to pack in your luggage before you leave your birth country. It avoids what has just been posted and i never said it was right or that it is acceptable behaviour. Live long to enjoy your travels hopefully coffee1.gif

Many thanks for your concerns, but having travelled through four different countries embroiled in civil conflict in the past eight years, I think I'll be fine

But I do wonder if some posters actually even bothered watching the video.... And yes, I suppose I would advise others to follow this mans example.

At no point did I see him act aggressively... He didn't even attempt to use his height to intimidate ( stand tall and puff chest out)... And amazingly, his reaction to having the taxi driver run over his foot, still didn't illicit an aggressive response.

He was cool calm and collected... Even submissive.... Throughout the ordeal, which leads me to believe that he acted / reacted reasonably and responsibly, and he deserves praise for that, in my opinion....

Mores the pity that a lot more farangs don't act/ react similarly.... and I would respectfully suggest you consider taking a few handfuls of fear out of your luggage... Or not pack your bags at all.

The driver of the white car should go back to Nanny land. What a tosser...

Shame the locals didn't stick him.

So what would you have done in that situation?

A polite wai, and apologise for being on the correct side of the road?

One can see the black car have plenty of room to overtake the falang's white car, on his left, right?

So why on earth this tosser (yes) stubbornly refuses to go that way from the very beginning?

attachicon.gifpost-247607-0-80826200-1466202032_thumb.jpg

Go back, and watch the bloody video, FROM THE BEGINNING. Damn, there are fools on here. Besides, we do not know what happened before the video starts. Why do people, like you, seem to turn on a "farang" so quickly. I guess you believe the taxi driver behaved in an honorable way.

If a Thai had been driving the white car, would they have been as obstinate or let the taxi driver pass?

This is simply another example of Farang in Thailand believing their rights are being infringed upon, thinking they know better than the locals and therefore justified in their actions based on how things work in the their home country.

The Thai taxi driver, along with many other Thais, have probably done this maneuver countless times without issues then comes across this farang. He was probably thinking who is the falang being an ass when I'm just trying to get by? Who does this arrogant f*kr think he is coming to my country and acting like he owns the road?

By the looks of it the farang in the white car lives in Thailand and owns the vehicle. He knows how things work but refuses to accept them instead looking down on the Thais as being primitive and uncivilized which justifies his actions.

His behavior is no different than the crazy farang woman complaining about roosters waking her up in the morning or the whining farang complaining about dogs crapping on the street.

I like that you think you know what the taxi driver was thinking....I don't think he was thinking at all. The only time he started thinking was when he got out of the taxi to confront the farang standing there....you can see him hesitate when he realized this guy was at least a head taller than him and it would be a bad idea to start a fight with such a big man.

As for Thais not caring about accidents...I have had a couple of situations, one where the front brake on my Kawasaki locked on and I fell off. Some kind Thai ladies brought me into the hotel where they worked and got a first aid kit to bandage my leg. Later that day the brake locked on permanently and I parked it.....it was very hot and while I waited this lady with a cafe insisted on buying and bringing me bottles of cold water to drink......she would take no money. I have found Thais to be kind and helpful human beings......much like people all over this world of ours.

Don't see what the problem is...seems to be plenty of room for both (small) cars. With all the narrow sois and double parked cars in Thailand, the first thing one learns when using a car in Thailand is "cooperative driving."

Cooperative driving!

And you find a lot of that on the road do you?

Are you actually driving on Thai roads? All I see is uncooperative driving and driving behaviour resembling for every man for himself.

Looked to me the taxi was trying to turn right, the stupid farang decided not to let him do that; then instead of backing off, turns it into what others say, could be a fatal exercise.

Obviously you see things differently to any sane person would, oh, maybe you didn't read the op "The owner of a taxi faces a fine of 1,000 baht and his driver will have his driving license withdrawn following an incident in which the driver was seen in a widely-circulated video clip making a flying jump on the bonnet of a private car." pretty obvious the authorities don't agree with you, or a number of other commenters. Grow up kiddies.

" ..... so we should all just let the more aggressive drivers bully everyone else while ignoring any need to practice any lawful right of way driving etiquette or practiced driving decorum "

This attitude is the problem with many farang in Thailand and much of Asia - automatically assuming the worst in others by projecting their own character flaws or those of their countrymen onto the local population.
Furthermore, expecting a 'lawful right of way driving etiquette or practiced driving decorum' in a develping country far different from your own is ignoring the local driving behavior while trying to impose the same standards as your home country.
If the standards were as high and laws enforced as well, Thailand would likely be a far wealthier country with higher cost of living, which would defeat the purpose for many, if not most farang choosing to live here.

Seems to be a single lane road and one of them, either the taxi or the car, could have reversed a little bit to let the other car pass through. Looks like both had big ego problems. The foreigner was foolish as it could have easily led to violence.

Have you given up on reality ? Obviously this is a two way lane, as evidenced by the central line AND the vehicles going in opposite directions on the soi. The taxi driver was completely in the wrong, both in his road position and in his disgusting behaviour. Don,t become one of them just because they outnumber us :)

I like that you think you know what the taxi driver was thinking....I don't think he was thinking at all. The only time he started thinking was when he got out of the taxi to confront the farang standing there....you can see him hesitate when he realized this guy was at least a head taller than him and it would be a bad idea to start a fight with such a big man.

Again, that's you rationalizing how you would behave in a similar situation and projecting it onto the Thai. You do notice the Thai had a small child in the car? I hardly think someone in his position is going to risk danger to himself with a child under his care.

OTOH, far too many farang come to Thailand and elsewhere in Asia thinking they own the place and can do whatever they want without consequences. Naturally, this stirs up resentment not too mention hostility which can often boil over resulting in the numerous physical altercations with farang.

"As for Thais not caring about accidents...I have had a couple of situations, one where the front brake on my Kawasaki locked on and I fell off. Some kind Thai ladies brought me into the hotel where they worked and got a first aid kit to bandage my leg. Later that day the brake locked on permanently and I parked it.....it was very hot and while I waited this lady with a cafe insisted on buying and bringing me bottles of cold water to drink......she would take no money. I have found Thais to be kind and helpful human beings......much like people all over this world of ours."

Unlike many if not most westerners, Thais try and tend to be non-confrontational. Despite their relative poverty and less developed state, I find Thai drivers to be far more civilized and forgiving on the road than many in US/EU/AUS where road rage is rampant.

It's good that you had a positive experience with Thais and sharing it with others rather than demonizing a whole country based on ignorant, narrow minded views so common among many farang living in Thailand.

Talk about stupid.(owner white car) its not your country so dont think you own the road. if he was polite and let the taxi cross, no problem. a real f..................idiotclap2.gif

Ok, Have you EVER held a drivers license in ANY country around the world before????? I can NOT imagine that you have, with such a stupid response. You can CLEARLY see the line painted in the middle of the road, and the TAXI is partly on the WRONG side of the road, and then the stupid monkey is causing huge damage to the white car....Probably because he is on yaba or drunk, like most Thai drivers. If this MORON did this in most other country, he would get bashed, shot or locked up...... Learn to drive...

That was my whole point.

I have driven in many countries on business and been driving in Thailand for 10 years. Some of those countries even worse than Thailand. I have never had an issue on roads any where as i am not stupid but fully aware of my surroundings.

It is understanding that

It could have been so much worse if this hot head(taxi) had a gun. Not worth risking's ones life to be correct. It is called wise.coffee1.gif

I say "victim"

This type of behavior is indicative of the systemic problems associated with being the worlds second placed road carnage destination.... To accept this in any way is to except the road carnage in its totality.... And therein lies the risk to us all... Including yourself

And if Thailand wants to reap the rewards from twenty million zillion tourists, it is insane to suggest that Thais are in the right, simply because they are Thais.

clap2.gifblink.png So you would rather advise people to follow the foreigners behaviour and cause a conflict and have the risk of being killed then. Submissive and wise are always good traits to pack in your luggage before you leave your birth country. It avoids what has just been posted and i never said it was right or that it is acceptable behaviour. Live long to enjoy your travels hopefully coffee1.gif

Many thanks for your concerns, but having travelled through four different countries embroiled in civil conflict in the past eight years, I think I'll be fine

But I do wonder if some posters actually even bothered watching the video.... And yes, I suppose I would advise others to follow this mans example.

At no point did I see him act aggressively... He didn't even attempt to use his height to intimidate ( stand tall and puff chest out)... And amazingly, his reaction to having the taxi driver run over his foot, still didn't illicit an aggressive response.

He was cool calm and collected... Even submissive.... Throughout the ordeal, which leads me to believe that he acted / reacted reasonably and responsibly, and he deserves praise for that, in my opinion....

Mores the pity that a lot more farangs don't act/ react similarly.... and I would respectfully suggest you consider taking a few handfuls of fear out of your luggage... Or not pack your bags at all.

If the driver of the white car was as cool, calm and submissive as you describe it wouldn't have resulted in such confrontation. For sure the taxi driver is in the wrong but does this mean you have to stand your ground even if this could escalate into violence? To advice people to take the same stance in the future is not wise as one day your advice can lead to a tragic event. In the same situation I hope I can swallow my anger and make space for this agressive thai driver. Every day I see similar provocations on the road and I will always bite my lip because I only have one life..

demonizing a whole country based on ignorant, narrow minded views so common among many farang living in Thailand.

You just gave me a great idea!

Lets start a GofundMe's page where we raise funds to create a new kickstarter company, it will produce a new brand of flip-flops, based on the concept of those footie's shoes with metal's studs underneath, these sorts of accidents will never looks the same again! 1zgarz5.gif

Above posters the Taxi wanted to turn right but the Falangs car blocked his path, I have had this happen many times here the Thais are very inconsiderate, I would hazard a guess he saw it was a falang and lost the plot.

He should be banned for a very long time there is just no excuse to behave that way.

Saw the driver on TV being interviewed last night I asked my wife what he was saying, she said he is Blaming the Falang rather than taking responsibility for his own actions

Stupid man, how can anyone defend that behaviour. It looks to me like the white car was in the right lane and the taxi was not. Anyway, any "normal", sensible person would be ashamed they behaved like an animal and be far too embarrassed being caught on camera to try and defence themselves.

It's that ridiculous Thai face thing again. To us we laugh as his ridiculous and childish behaviour, to him he thinks he has saved face,, what an idiot.

If a Thai had been driving the white car, would they have been as obstinate or let the taxi driver pass?

This is simply another example of Farang in Thailand believing their rights are being infringed upon, thinking they know better than the locals and therefore justified in their actions based on how things work in the their home country.

The Thai taxi driver, along with many other Thais, have probably done this maneuver countless times without issues then comes across this farang. He was probably thinking who is the falang being an ass when I'm just trying to get by? Who does this arrogant f*kr think he is coming to my country and acting like he owns the road?
By the looks of it the farang in the white car lives in Thailand and owns the vehicle. He knows how things work but refuses to accept them instead looking down on the Thais as being primitive and uncivilized which justifies his actions.
His behavior is no different than the crazy farang woman complaining about roosters waking her up in the morning or the whining farang complaining about dogs crapping on the street.

So according to your logic, if we see something wrong (bad driving. Something disgusting (dogs shitting in the street). I would be please to deposit a weeks work of the crap from where i live to the front of your place, then see if you agree.

Edited by chrissables

...don't hold your breath....

...don't even expect the insurance to cover 'the farang'....

...give us a 'name'...or a 'label'....we are no longer human....with next to zero rights...

...shut up and pay and pay and pay....get abused at every turn....even murdered.....even by your own wife no less.....

...why do you not return to your home country if you are so suffering in bad Thailand?

And another "go home if you dont like it" comment. You are so boring. Please send me your address so I can inform the local Thais to walk in, take all your stuff and walk out again. Because you won't do anything I'm sure.

there is word for the way you would deal with this

The driver of the white car is lucky he wasn't killed. Most of these taxi drivers carry weapons.

If it was me, I would have swallowed my pride and given way. It's just not worth it, pissing off a Thai.

Yes. It's called survival.

That's the attitude that keeps this country clueless of manners and education. Treat them like children and let them do anything they want. You see in the schools and it continues throughout their lives, example allowing 7yr kids drive motorbikes with grand mom on the back. If it weren't for the SEX trade there be no money here and I LOVE the scammers open ENGLISH schools taking their hard earn money with no change in the future. Try doing that in the USA, well, use your imagination about the outcome and it be more than a 1000 baht fine.

The driver of the white car is lucky he wasn't killed. Most of these taxi drivers carry weapons.

If it was me, I would have swallowed my pride and given way. It's just not worth it, pissing off a Thai.

Yes. But I won't do otherwise. I'd rather be safe and avoid the risk of dealing with adults who have child-like attitudes.

So according to your logic, if we see something wrong (bad driving. Something disgusting (dogs shitting in the street). I would be please to deposit a weeks work of the crap from where i live to the front of your place, then see if you agree.
I heard there is a very good surgeon at Bumrungrad hospital, he can drill a small hole in your skull to release some pressure.

That was my whole point.

It is understanding that

I say "victim"

If the driver of the white car was as cool, calm and submissive as you describe it wouldn't have resulted in such confrontation. For sure the taxi driver is in the wrong but does this mean you have to stand your ground even if this could escalate into violence? To advice people to take the same stance in the future is not wise as one day your advice can lead to a tragic event. In the same situation I hope I can swallow my anger and make space for this agressive thai driver. Every day I see similar provocations on the road and I will always bite my lip because I only have one life (quote)

Having considering your words, I have watched the video yet again, and I can still see no aggression, overt anger, agitation, or anything to suggest that this man did anything wrong... Anything at all... It even took him nearly a full minute to get out of his car, once it had been vandalized.... Hardly a provocative action.

So again... I take my hat off to this man who showed remarkable restraint.

I can only assume I'm watching a different video to those amongst you who feel that the victim of this "confrontation" acted unreasonably.... During broad daylight.... In a busy street.

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" ... Edmund Burke.... Obviously way over the top, but you get the idea

Very, very childish behaviour from both of them.

The white guy should have been wiser.

Why? He done nothing wrong. The <deleted> taxi driver should hav past him an then turned right not block straight in front of him.

That was my whole point.

It is understanding that

I say "victim"

If the driver of the white car was as cool, calm and submissive as you describe it wouldn't have resulted in such confrontation. For sure the taxi driver is in the wrong but does this mean you have to stand your ground even if this could escalate into violence? To advice people to take the same stance in the future is not wise as one day your advice can lead to a tragic event. In the same situation I hope I can swallow my anger and make space for this agressive thai driver. Every day I see similar provocations on the road and I will always bite my lip because I only have one life (quote)

Having considering your words, I have watched the video yet again, and I can still see no aggression, overt anger, agitation, or anything to suggest that this man did anything wrong... Anything at all... It even took him nearly a full minute to get out of his car, once it had been vandalized.... Hardly a provocative action.

I can only assume I'm watching a different video to those amongst you who feel that the victim of this "confrontation" acted unreasonably.... During broad daylight.... In a busy street.

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" ... Edmund Burke.... Obviously way over the top, but you get the idea

Wow ru that bored today? Do u write books? ??

That was my whole point.

It is understanding that

I say "victim"

thumbsup.gifwai.gif

That was my whole point.

It is understanding that

I say "victim"

Wow ru that bored today? Do u write books? ??

Love it cheesy.gif

Violence...last refuge of the incompetent. Most Thai drivers are incompetent and understand no rules other than the ones they make up themselves, like 'I'm going there and get out of my way'.

Hats of to the Farang; sure, he took his life in his own hands but you see no violent behaviour from him whatsoever.

"did not have previous record of violence"

Correction: no recorded previous record of violence. I guy with his temper is likely to have done something similar before. One day he will encounter a farrang that will put him down with one blow.

I think you are all missing what's the real point here. The carlang by driving its own vehicle its depriving a mighty thai person of his livelyhood, some thai taxi driver might be dying every day because of foreigners breaking the law doing occupations reserved to them, then he very likely will also be eating some thai food taking it away from a thai, and breathing precious oxygen reserved to thai only......bad bad bad

Could I please have a reprint of this post in a form which is understandable.....I did, I promise, attempt to read it

a few times to have it make sense!