Wakeboarders rally for Phuket champ Mac Rosen after amputation accident

rooster59

Wakeboarders rally for Phuket champ Mac Rosen after amputation accident

Chris Husted
Additional reporting by Tanyaluk Sakoot

post-247607-0-49538300-1466226786_thumb.

PHUKET: The international wakeboarding community is rallying to raise funds for Phuket’s own Mackinthai Thomas Rosen, who had his left leg amputated below the knee after an accident during an Asian Cup competition in Phuket in May.

The Phuket-born 25-year-old known as Mackie, or just Mac, to his friends suffered the devastating injury on May 7, the first day of the IWWF Asian Cup held at Phuket Wake Park in Kathu.

“I was trying to throw an air trick to complete my competition round. I went too high in the air, lost control and landed heavy with a straightened left foot into the water,” he told The Phuket News.

Mac is no stranger to such international competitions. He is a professional wakeboarder and a national team rider for Thailand. He won silver for an individual event and gold for a team event at the Asian Beach Games held in Phuket in 2014. Last year, he represented Thailand in Taiwan and Shanghai, and competed in wakepark world series events held in Thailand.

At the time of his fall, Mac was representing Thailand in the IWWF Asian Cup 2016 and Phuket Open International CUP 2016 held at Phuket Wake Park under the auspices of the International Waterski & Wakeboard Federation (IWWF) and the Thailand Extreme Sports Association (TESA).

After the accident, Mac was rushed to Bangkok Hospital Phuket by a hospital ambulance on standby at the event – as required for events under the IWWF and TESA.

“Honestly, I thought I just dislocated my left knee and all the doctors had to do was to put my knee back and I just needed a couple of months to heal,” he said.

“Instead my left leg was cut up four times in Bangkok Hospital Phuket over the next four days and by the fifth day, gangrene started forming and I was transported by road from Phuket to Ramathibodi Hospital in Bangkok for final assessment.”

The bad news was that Mac had torn all the ligaments in the knee and his left leg had suffered severe artery damage, and complications with blood flow to the foot.

“My left knee was amputated on the fifth operation and the sixth operation was when the doctors had to cut and clean away all the dead tissue,” Mac explained.

Now, while overcoming the pain – phantom and real – and coming to grips with his own mobility, Mac faces a mountain of medical bills which have spiralled to over a million baht. To this, Mac has found strength in support with scores of people doing their best to help him.

TESA Executive Director Phaladisai Jaitaskul told The Phuket News, “The insurance coverage provided B400,000, but the medical bills even at the early stages were much more than B800,000.

“And we are looking to raise funds for a prosthesis, which will cost about B200,000.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/wakeboarders-rally-for-phuket-champ-mac-rosen-after-amputation-accident-57908.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-18

You would think there would be better/full competition and federation insurance to cover accidents like this.

400k baht would be the deductible in the USA. Talk about minimalist insurance. whistling.gif

Edited by Ulic

i can only hope that the goverment and the thai citizens rally around this thai hero to help him out in his hour of need. maybe a local musician or 2 could do a benifit concert or something like that..

good luck and hope the best for your coming yrs and next profession

You would think there would be better/full competition and federation insurance to cover accidents like this.

400k baht would be the deductible in the USA. Talk about minimalist insurance. whistling.gif

In lots of cases, you can not get insurance for this type of activity as it is classed as high risk, even scuba diving insurance is hard to come by, i agree the event should cover any injuries to competitors, if it was"s for these people there would not be any competition.

In lots of cases, you can not get insurance for this type of activity as it is classed as high risk, even scuba diving insurance is hard to come by, i agree the event should cover any injuries to competitors, if it was"s for these people there would not be any competition.
Scuba diving insurance is easy to come by, and also quite often covered on health and travel insurance.

Unsure, but I assume Mackie has a US passport but never been a long term resident there. When I knew him as a toddler 20 years ago his wife boasted about how wealthy her husband was, but I guess things may have changed since then, otherwise this fund raising to pay medical bills wouldn't be necessary.

Edited by mark5335

His Father's family has the money but his Dad is on a Monthly Trust , so when he needs extra money he can ask the Bank trustees of his funds for extra money in emergencies but they don't necessarily grant the money , but in this case they should; Mackie's whole bill should be covered by the Event in this case surely ? , but it still is a good thing to set up a donation fund , for friends to help if they can !

I've known him since he was born and he is a great young man , and had many friends all over , I hope he rebounds , he has great attitude , so best of luck to him !

BTW , another reason why in Phuket where I lived for 22 years, I never recommended Bangkok Phuket Hospital , too many nightmare stories ,treatment so-so but bills are their real scary story ! I and so did a few friends found Phuket International Doctors much better for Leg operations. They saved me from an infection Mission Hospital gave me during treatment of a groin infection , that ER Doctor had made worse ! Be careful with your Choice of Hospitals here , the Hospital Bill is all many care about , not ur treatment ! They complain when Farangs can't pay a bill , but never mention how much we get overcharged at hospitals here . 3 times when admitted to a hospital here, I checked my bills and always found mistakes , each time ! Oxygen , you may not need , but if u use it just cause its there....you will be charged , Daily !

Edited by TheWizardofRnR

His Father's family has the money but his Dad is on a Monthly Trust , so when he needs extra money he can ask the Bank trustees of his funds for extra money in emergencies but they dont necessarily grant the money , but in this case they should; Mackie's whole bill should be covered by the Event , but it still is a good thing to set up a donation fund , for friends to help if they can !

I've known him since he was born and he is a great young man , and had many friends all over , I hope he rebounds , he has great attitude , so best of luck to him !

Looking at this info, why should strangers pay for his hospital expenses?

His Father's family has the money but his Dad is on a Monthly Trust , so when he needs extra money he can ask the Bank trustees of his funds for extra money in emergencies but they dont necessarily grant the money , but in this case they should; Mackie's whole bill should be covered by the Event , but it still is a good thing to set up a donation fund , for friends to help if they can !

The Son isn't the TRUST recipient and his Dad isn't allowed to just use it like cash , you help because he is a friend....say no more !

The Son isn't the TRUST recipient and his Dad isn't allowed to just use it like cash , you help because he is a friend....say no more !
I find that a pretty unuseful answer. His family has the money, why should strangers pay?

I find that a pretty unuseful answer. His family has the money, why should strangers pay?

So what , I have no idea why ? I just know Mackie doesn't get anything from his Dad's money , and I have not spoke to his Dad in over 3 or 4 Years ....so for your answer ,go ask his Dad or if you feel like donating ,donate ! But , I do know Mackie was a good person , and my Thai wife really liked him , she said he had good manners and she doesn't like all my friends...so people who wish to help , and can afford too should...I mean , if someone started this to help him , it was most likely his friends who knew he needed help , not his Family !

His Father's family has the money but his Dad is on a Monthly Trust , so when he needs extra money he can ask the Bank trustees of his funds for extra money in emergencies but they don't necessarily grant the money , but in this case they should; Mackie's whole bill should be covered by the Event in this case surely ? , but it still is a good thing to set up a donation fund , for friends to help if they can !

BTW , another reason why in Phuket where I lived for 22 years, I never recommended Bangkok Phuket Hospital , too many nightmare stories ,treatment so-so but bills are their real scary story ! I and so did a few friends found Phuket International Doctors much better for Leg operations. They saved me from an infection Mission Hospital gave me during treatment of a groin infection , that ER Doctor had made worse ! Be careful with your Choice of Hospitals here , the Hospital Bill is all many care about , not ur treatment ! They complain when Farangs can't pay a bill , but never mention how much we get overcharged at hospitals here . 3 times when admitted to a hospital here, I checked my bills and always found mistakes , each time ! Oxygen , you may not need , but if u use it just cause its there....you will be charged , Daily !

"so when he needs extra money he can ask the Bank trustees of his funds for extra money" - are you talking about his father, or him?