When I take the bus in Thailand, I am afraid and stress of the police check-up

Danielsiam

From time to time most Westerns staying here long term will return back to home country and then return to Thailand with your personal medications sometime 6/12 months supply. Carry a letter from a from a local medical person be that a large pharmacy company or medical clinic. The letter stating your name and local address plus the medication you are required to take on a regular bases. That should take away all the stress associated with catching local buses. Finally I hope you are carrying you medication on the buses and not putting in the underneath storage just in case.

...exactly...cause the midget that hides in a bag in there could accidentally take your meds..then how would you feel with a stoned dwarf on your mind.

(The midget-in-a-bag-trick was discovered here at The Arcade bus terminal about 10 years ago..with his own little bag full of cameras, phones etc).

If i can tear around isaan and the north doing 200km/h on a bike with no plates all the time and so far never been stopped then i think youll be ok.

Though i dont stress, i passed a civilian looking guy on a moped with an M16a1 slung over his shoulder near Mae Ai a few weeks ago, i found it more funny then anything, i bet he never gets any road rage

lol

Oh so ur one of these I don't give a toss bike riders that ride around at 200km/h putting other people's life's at risk.

And u think it's cool do u?

Just another fool on the roads.

"If i can tear around isaan and the north doing 200km/h on a bike with no plates all the time and so far never been stopped" WOW!

Hmmm, rolleyes.gif

I drive too, but, maybe I too old now, or seen to much, I not drive anymore, at these speeds - no big thing in EU - on Thai roads in Isaan,

Can remember doing that myself on and around Phuket 1998 - 2004? many years ago. Today, a much different more heavy traffic there. whistling.gif

Highway or not,

with all the different vehicles, U-turners and vehicles and people, crossing roads or change lanes from left - emergency lane to right side to next U-turn,

without any looking and in acute angles, nearly everywhere, ect. I to thoughtful. tongue.png

Special after a older Expat 66 y. young biggrin.png and with hearing device, I knew him well,

brought me, threw a sudden lane changing in front of me, without any shown, change of direction, or a look in the mirrors or over his shoulder,

to such a hard breaking point, that I fell and broke some bones, OP and metal necessary not to tell from the nice skin abrasions. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

If i can tear around isaan and the north doing 200km/h on a bike with no plates all the time and so far never been stopped then i think youll be ok.

Though i dont stress, i passed a civilian looking guy on a moped with an M16a1 slung over his shoulder near Mae Ai a few weeks ago, i found it more funny then anything, i bet he never gets any road rage lol

If what your saying is true, you are a danger to every road user, and you want to get a grip of yourself.

I have ridden through Isaan a few times and seen many police checks, and never had a problem, but unlike you, I stick to the speed limits.

We have driven in ever single part of Isaan.....north, south, east and west.

At 200 kph, you would be be out of Isaan in less that 2 hours, at the furthest points.

In Udon Province, you would be stopped almost everywhere.

As for the rest of the north...I might get away with it in Mae Hong Son Province. My wife has a resort there, and knows most of the police. lol However, if you knew the roads, you would never attempt even half that speed there.

Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai have way too many checkpoints...outside the cities.

Buses are exempt from speed limitations...as everyone knows.

Edited by slipperylobster

I've traveled on buses from Mae Sai to Bangkok and usually there are at least 5 police / military check stops. I think on one occasion I counted 8. It's just so annoying to be woken up for little reason and such a waste of time (they probably add a total of at least 30 minutes to the entire journey).

Authorities should stop being so paranoid about illegal drugs, because most illegal drug usage is without problem. They need to read this report published a few days ago by the U.K.'s Royal Society for Public Health: Taking a New Line on Drugs

I've traveled on buses from Mae Sai to Bangkok and usually there are at least 5 police / military check stops. I think on one occasion I counted 8. It's just so annoying to be woken up for little reason and such a waste of time (they probably add a total of at least 30 minutes to the entire journey).

Authorities should stop being so paranoid about illegal drugs, because most illegal drug usage is without problem. They need to read this report published a few days ago by the U.K.'s Royal Society for Public Health: Taking a New Line on Drugs