Is it cheaper to eat out?

Inspire

If you care about your health eating in is the best option as you can choose the quality of the ingredients. It's more expensive than street food but if you include self inflicted heath problems it's cheeper by a mile. You can't put a price on your health. In my opinion

Completely agree.

Eating out is overrated and overpriced. Years ago I made a point of checking out many of Bangkok's so-called "best restaurants". I don't recall being impressed even once; one time I remember paying about 1000 Baht for a lobster thermidor which had been ruined because the chef added too much lime juice.

I can cook much better stuff at home.

I eat out for Indian on Sundays due to the good...not often great...quality of the top three places in Bangkok serving excellent quality buffet deals.

Not every Sunday though as I find they can be heavy going.

Good value however if you like Indian.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most things we eat in are batch cooked stuff like chilli's or lasagne that I freeze and we can pop in the microwave when feeling lazy.

It's cheaper than eating out certainly....from a perspective of Western food but even in Bangkok it's easy to live on 200 Baht a day without ever cooking.

Edited by smokie36

If you care about your health eating in is the best option as you can choose the quality of the ingredients. It's more expensive than street food but if you include self inflicted heath problems it's cheeper by a mile. You can't put a price on your health. In my opinion

Completely agree.

Eating out is overrated and overpriced. Years ago I made a point of checking out many of Bangkok's so-called "best restaurants". I don't recall being impressed even once; one time I remember paying about 1000 Baht for a lobster thermidor which had been ruined because the chef added too much lime juice.

I can cook much better stuff at home.

I eat out for Indian on Sundays due to the good...not often great...quality of the top three places in Bangkok serving excellent quality buffet deals.

Not every Sunday though as I find they can be heavy going.

Good value however if you like Indian.

I've heard good things about Indian food in BKK, but have never tried it. Over in George Town the Indian food is superb. I can vouch for this. Cheap, too.

If you're interested in "exotic" cuisines, I reckon you could probably find a gem or two around Suk Sois 3-5. I guess I'm talking about Senegalese, North African, Ethiopian and Lebanese food. An issue would be knowing what to order (assuming you're unfamiliar with these cuisines); also important would be getting a recommendation from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Finally, there are several good restaurants in the Phetburi Sois 5-7 area, some of which are Muslim and operated by people from Pattani. They'll do you a nice mussaman with goat.

If your single, many times it's cheaper to eat out.

It depends how many meals a day you eat and where you eat out.

Mostly it depends how dim you are to ask the stupid question without setting parameters .

This is a reason I do not eat Thai food more often, either the atmosphere is terrible or the prices are the same as eating something else I would rather have if I am going to spend real money on a feed.

"cow tom guy" at this restaurant in CM, 50bht for a bowl bigger than I can eat.

attachicon.gif1477828_10209389054951616_3280704283229733280_n.jpg

If you don't like the trees and shaded tables right on the river, you can eat in the air conditioned room.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/At-Khualek-Cafe-Restuarant/344916645679759

Looks lovely. That is exactly the type of place I would relax and eat more Thai food at.