How to stay in Thailand based on Retirement

I'm a 50 year old American and currently on a visa on arrival. I am scheduled to do my extension on Friday, July 24.

I want to stay in Thailand on the basis of retirement. I have a monthly Army retirement pension and VA disability that put me at 130,000 THB a month.

I live in Phuket.

Can you tell me the steps I need to follow to be able to stay in Thailand based on retirement?

Thank you for time and trouble.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

The first thing you will need to do is get proof of your income by doing a income affidavit at the US embassy. Info is here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#income_affidavit

Then since you are in Phuket you would need make a trip to the Thai consulate in Penang Malaysia to obtain a single entry non-o visa. You would attach a copy of the income affidavit to the visa application so that you can use the original to a apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration in Phuket during the last 30 days of the 90 entry the visa will allow.

• Like 2

I have a question about the 1 year extension of stay. I got my 90 day Non-Imm O visa based on Retirement and now it is time to do the 1 year extension. I showed all the required documents (lease, income statement from consulate for monthly income, etc.) when I got the visa in CM. Do I need those documents again for the 1 year extension? Or do they just need the form, photos, copies of passport, money?

I have a question about the 1 year extension of stay. I got my 90 day Non-Imm O visa based on Retirement and now it is time to do the 1 year extension. I showed all the required documents (lease, income statement from consulate for monthly income, etc.) when I got the visa in CM. Do I need those documents again for the 1 year extension? Or do they just need the form, photos, copies of passport, money?

You will need all the same supporting documents again.

You will need all the same supporting documents again.

Ok, thanks! Do you know if you go to Promenada or Airport in CM?

In Chiang Mai, you can apply for your 1-year retirement extension up to 45 days before expiration and they date the extension effective 12 months from when the previous one, so you don't "lose" any time. So, it's to your advantage to apply early since the queues at Immigration Promenada can sometimes be lengthy and they distribute just a fixed number of queue tickets each morning. Right now that's 20 queue tickets, but the number changes depending upon staff availability. It's a good idea to arrive at Imm. Prom. around 6 am if you want to be "guaranteed" a queue number, but this year I arrived at 8:45 am 44 days before expiration of my extension just to check out the scene and amazingly got a queue number. The queue was short that day. You just never know.

After you get your queue number, if you need to pass the time, you can get a good, inexpensive breakfast at the Rim Ping supermarket at the mall and the cinema offers a discount to seniors over age 60 if you buy your ticket before 12.00 noon, so there's plenty to do if you get a high queue number and have to kill time until the afternoon when your passport is returned if you're stuck out at the mall, which is a distance from the city.

Joe, is there any truth to the rumor that the income affidavits have to be "authenticated" at MFA after receiving them from the embassy?

It is not required.

Reports of one or two rogue offices asking for it and Phuket is not one of them.

Joe, is there any truth to the rumor that the income affidavits have to be "authenticated" at MFA after receiving them from the embassy?

Sometime around 2007 there was some talk about that being a requirement, but it generated a lot of flak from all the embassies and was dropped.

I've never heard of anyone needing to get an embassy income letter authenticated. I've never had to do it.

It is not required.

Reports of one or two rogue offices asking for it and Phuket is not one of them.

Sometime around 2007 there was some talk about that being a requirement, but it generated a lot of flak from all the embassies and was dropped.

I've never heard of anyone needing to get an embassy income letter authenticated. I've never had to do it.

Thank you, both, very much.

It is not required.

Not to mention that the MFA would, of course, very soon find its office doors being lain siege to by whole armies of retirees seeking to have their income letters/affidavits authenticated were this to become a general requirement!

However, I do have a vague recollection of a report on here several months ago of Chaengwattana Immigration insisting on MFA authentication of a British Embassy letter. But if I recall correctly this was in connection with a non-O visa conversion rather than an annual extension of stay.

Edited by OJAS

For your extension of stay, use form :-TM.7 Extension of Temporary Stay in The Kingdom Application Form

Note that when the extension is issued your visa is dead.

You are now on an extension, not a visa.

Cost, 1,900b and you will need, a copy of your passport, 2 x passport size photos plus the proof of funds doc.

With this Retirement extention a work permit is not possible!

You may not do charity or other work.

With a marriage extension, the funds requirement drops to 400,000b and a WP is possible.

You could then do charity or other work.

The procedure for a marriage ext is a little more complicated and explained on many threads on TVF.

As far as I know, every time you submit a proof of income certificate, it must be original and very "fresh", Imm will keep it and you cannot use a copy for the next trip!.

Your embassy may need printouts of your overseas bank account with the regular income highlighted.

The Brits do but maybe the American's simply accept your sworn oath?

If you intend to stay in Thailand, why not open a saving bank account and keep 800,000BHT in it.

You need the 800K in the bank for a min of 60 days for the first extension.

Thereafter the 800k must be there for 90 days prior to the application for the extension.

The bank account must allow instant access to yr funds so an account with better interest because it is locked up for a period is unacceptable.

A savings account that gives better interest that you can withdraw funds (with loss of interest) would be acceptable.

You will need a letter from your bank to Immigration assuring them details of your account.

The letter must be "fresh", not more that one day or so old.

Normally I add say 1,000b to the account and have the book made up and copied and letter written on the day before the extension application.

So for bank proof of funds, take the updated book, a copy of the book and the bank letter.

For the embassy proof, you only need their letter.

The Brit embassy charge almost 50GBP for every letter, thus the bank route is cheaper, only 100BHT or less depending on your bank.

Once the extension is granted, you can use the funds as you wish but you must ensure that they are at least 800hb, at least 90 days prior to your next extension application.

Be aware that Thai banks will aggregate entries which may confuse things.

If you only have the one account and don't make the book up until the day before you ask for the letter, the book may not have all the individual transactions itemised so it may not be easy to see the required funds for the required perion.

Therefore, best to make the book up 90 days before you need the letter and then again when you get the letter.

On the subject of bank accounts, have at least 2 accounts, one with an ATM card.

Have internet banking and only keep a few thousand baht in the ATM account, then top it up online as needed.

This will limit any fraud possibilities.

Also, remember that keeping vast sums in a single bank would be problematic if the bank folds.

The government only guarantees one million per bank.

There are many threads on TVF that explain the doós and don'ts of banking.

Also bookmark the TVF Forms download page:- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/category/6-thai-immigration-application-forms/

Also Do not forget to:-

a) ensure you/your wife/gf sends your local Imm office form :-TM.30 Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay

This is supposed to be done within 24 hours of arrival.
If you live in an Hotel or Guest House, reception will do it online.

B) ensure that you make your regular 90 day reports.

If you are lucky, you may be able to do it online, you MUST use IE or a browser with IE tab or similar, the URL is:- https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

if not use form:- TM.47 Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer Than 90 Days and submit or post it to your local Imm office.

c) If you leave Thailand and want to return, ensure you buy a re-entry permit (single 1,000b or multi 3,800b) before you leave, (can be done at the airport if necessary)

otherwise your extension will be terminated and you will have to start with a new non imm o visa again.

Use:- TM.8 Re-Entry Permit into The Kingdom Application Form

• Like 2

In Chiang Mai, you can apply for your 1-year retirement extension up to 45 days before expiration and they date the extension effective 12 months from when the previous one, so you don't "lose" any time. So, it's to your advantage to apply early since the queues at Immigration Promenada can sometimes be lengthy and they distribute just a fixed number of queue tickets each morning. Right now that's 20 queue tickets, but the number changes depending upon staff availability. It's a good idea to arrive at Imm. Prom. around 6 am if you want to be "guaranteed" a queue number, but this year I arrived at 8:45 am 44 days before expiration of my extension just to check out the scene and amazingly got a queue number. The queue was short that day. You just never know.

After you get your queue number, if you need to pass the time, you can get a good, inexpensive breakfast at the Rim Ping supermarket at the mall and the cinema offers a discount to seniors over age 60 if you buy your ticket before 12.00 noon, so there's plenty to do if you get a high queue number and have to kill time until the afternoon when your passport is returned if you're stuck out at the mall, which is a distance from the city.

Sorry to go slightly off-topic here.

I know it seems to vary whether it's 30 or 45 days you can apply in advance for your extension, depending on where you live.

Just wondered if anyone knew about how far in advance in Udon Thani?

For your extension of stay, use form :-TM.7 Extension of Temporary Stay in The Kingdom Application Form

Cost, 1,900b and you will need, a copy of your passport, 2 x passport size photos plus the proof of funds doc.

With a marriage extension, the funds requirement drops to 400,000b and a WP is possible.

The procedure for a marriage ext is a little more complicated and explained on many threads on TVF.

As far as I know, every time you submit a proof of income certificate, it must be original and very "fresh", Imm will keep it and you cannot use a copy for the next trip!.

Your embassy may need printouts of your overseas bank account with the regular income highlighted.

If you intend to stay in Thailand, why not open a saving bank account and keep 800,000BHT in it.

Thereafter the 800k must be there for 90 days prior to the application for the extension.

The bank account must allow instant access to yr funds so an account with better interest because it is locked up for a period is unacceptable.

A savings account that gives better interest that you can withdraw funds (with loss of interest) would be acceptable.

You will need a letter from your bank to Immigration assuring them details of your account.

Normally I add say 1,000b to the account and have the book made up and copied and letter written on the day before the extension application.

So for bank proof of funds, take the updated book, a copy of the book and the bank letter.

The Brit embassy charge almost 50GBP for every letter, thus the bank route is cheaper, only 100BHT or less depending on your bank.

Once the extension is granted, you can use the funds as you wish but you must ensure that they are at least 800hb, at least 90 days prior to your next extension application.

If you only have the one account and don't make the book up until the day before you ask for the letter, the book may not have all the individual transactions itemised so it may not be easy to see the required funds for the required perion.

Therefore, best to make the book up 90 days before you need the letter and then again when you get the letter.

On the subject of bank accounts, have at least 2 accounts, one with an ATM card.

Have internet banking and only keep a few thousand baht in the ATM account, then top it up online as needed.

Also, remember that keeping vast sums in a single bank would be problematic if the bank folds.

Also bookmark the TVF Forms download page:- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/category/6-thai-immigration-application-forms/

a) ensure you/your wife/gf sends your local Imm office form :-TM.30 Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay

cool.png ensure that you make your regular 90 day reports.

If you are lucky, you may be able to do it online, you MUST use IE or a browser with IE tab or similar, the URL is:- https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

if not use form:- TM.47 Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer Than 90 Days and submit or post it to your local Imm office.

c) If you leave Thailand and want to return, ensure you buy a re-entry permit (single 1,000b or multi 3,800b) before you leave, (can be done at the airport if necessary)

otherwise your extension will be terminated and you will have to start with a new non imm o visa again.

While most of the information on this post is accurate and helpful, it should be pointed out that in April the Thai Cabinet delayed implementation of the reduction in the limit for federal deposit insurance. It remains at 25M baht; it wasn't cut to 1M baht. This doesn't reflect any particular concern about the health of Thailand's banking system, but rather concerns that customers would create problems in the market by withdrawing funds to stay below the proposed 1M baht limit.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Cabinet-approves-delaying-deposit-insurance-cut-to-30284775.html

• Like 1

Phuket Immigration office is reasonably efficient and seems to have less hassles than many others. Your embassy income statement will be fine, they also want to see your bank book with all the pages copied (this was per my last visit for renewal, one week ago). Need to establish proof of residence (that's a separate item in downstairs office) which they staple into your passport. One photo for the application form. Go to immigration office in Phuket town, have their own compound and building inside. Go upstairs to 2d floor, desk immediately inside door is a volunteer (may be Brit or German) who will look over your papers and tell you exactly what's needed, including just about every page of your passport copied.

Come by the Sunday morning meeting of the Computer Group, enough retired geeks and ex-mils be glad to help you. PM me for details.

• Like 1

cool.png ensure that you make your regular 90 day reports.

While most of the information on this post is accurate and helpful, it should be pointed out that in April the Thai Cabinet delayed implementation of the reduction in the limit for federal deposit insurance. It remains at 25M baht; it wasn't cut to 1M baht. This doesn't reflect any particular concern about the health of Thailand's banking system, but rather concerns that customers would create problems in the market by withdrawing funds to stay below the proposed 1M baht limit.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Cabinet-approves-delaying-deposit-insurance-cut-to-30284775.html

Thanks for the correction, good to learn a little more.

Since the op asked "Can you tell me the steps I need to follow to be able to stay in Thailand based on retirement".

I thought it might be useful to mention all the steps necessary to do that so he would not have any surprises.

As you know, there is more to do than just get the extension and when one follows the rules, life is less complicated.

Hi, around two years ago I transferred to a Retirement Visa from a Visa Exemption (What you presumably mean a Visa On Arrival) Unless the rules have changed which they often do if you can get the other paperwork etc in time I don't think you need a Tourist Visa. Udonjoe is normally spot on but could be mistaken on this one. Alternatively look up Phuket Immigration online give them a call they are very helpful and speak English and they will take care of you. They are friendly enough and have always treated me fairly well over many years in Phuket. Get to the Immigration early as it can be very crowded and some sections close for lunch and have a photocopying machine for the details page of your Passport and entry stamp page possibly more.

• Like 1

Hi, around two years ago I transferred to a Retirement Visa from a Visa Exemption (What you presumably mean a Visa On Arrival) Unless the rules have changed which they often do if you can get the other paperwork etc in time I don't think you need a Tourist Visa. Udonjoe is normally spot on but could be mistaken on this one. Alternatively look up Phuket Immigration online give them a call they are very helpful and speak English and they will take care of you. They are friendly enough and have always treated me fairly well over many years in Phuket. Get to the Immigration early as it can be very crowded and some sections close for lunch and have a photocopying machine for the details page of your Passport and entry stamp page possibly more.

2012, I arrived with a 30 day waiver.

In Chiang Mai Imm, I bought a 90 day Non Imm O visa which I later got the retirement extension on.

No idea what Pucket Imm do but good idea to ask before spending money on travel.

Unless you want to explore of course.

I needed proof of address and other things, can't remember.

Good luck

2012, I arrived with a 30 day waiver.

In Chiang Mai Imm, I bought a 90 day Non Imm O visa which I later got the retirement extension on.

No idea what Pucket Imm do but good idea to ask before spending money on travel.

Unless you want to explore of course.

I needed proof of address and other things, can't remember.

Good luck

Thing have changed within the last 2 years. Very few immigration offices can do the conversion to a non immigrant visa entry. Phuket is certainly not one that can do it.

Only Bangkok immigration and a few nearby offices within the central region accepts the application them along with Chiang Mai immigration now (they did not do them for a year or more). Anywhere you apply now requires two trips to immigration at least 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps done.

• Like 1

The first thing you will need to do is get proof of your income by doing a income affidavit at the US embassy. Info is here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#income_affidavit

Then since you are in Phuket you would need make a trip to the Thai consulate in Penang Malaysia to obtain a single entry non-o visa. You would attach a copy of the income affidavit to the visa application so that you can use the original to a apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration in Phuket during the last 30 days of the 90 entry the visa will allow.

ubon where on earth did you gain all this knowledge ? You help so many people, good job.

• Like 1