Please help me find a sustainable cotton weaving community in Thailand

SophieLC

Hello,

I'm trying to find a sustainable weaving community that can supply me with hand woven cotton rugs about 182cm x 60cm and 3/5mm thick. I would like the process to be all organic and naturally dyed in the traditional style. I'm happy to travel to remote villages to source the product and establish a connection but I'm finding it very hard to find out where to go!

Does anyone know of any villages that hand weave cotton rugs or of a supplier that has what I'm looking for?

I have tried contacting the WEAVE foundation and Prae Pan group with no success.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Sophie smile.png

Edited by SophieLC

Thank you for your help @sceadugenga,

Yes my research has mostly come up with silk weaving communities which unfortunately isn't what I'm looking for. I know that there are sustainable weaving communities that weave cotton on large looms in Thailand they are just very hard to get in contact with. I have found a few blogs where they have photographed what I am looking for being made so I've been directly contacted them to find out more information but I have not been hearing back from anyone. I'm starting to think I might just have to drive around Thailand looking for these villages or go to India and source them there!

Hopefully I will get lucky and someone on here will know where I need to go :)

My GF's moo ban in Khon Kaen used to have several large looms and they wove narrow, baby style blankets but all the yarn they used was imported, synthetic blend. Now closed down as they could not compete with the Chinese products flooding local markets.

I just read in BK Magazine about a trendy shop in Bangkok's Thong Lo district that sell's men's and women's shirts made from 100% domestic Thai cotton...B2000+++ each.

According to this website, Thailand only produces 02% of it's cotton needs, imports the rest.

http://www.cottonguide.org/cotton-guide/market-profiles-the-structure-and-characteristic-of-the-thai-cotton-market-a-macro-view/

Edited by dddave

Thank you so much for all of your helpful advice!

I have decided to travel up to Chiang Rai next week to look for some cotton weaving villages.

Can anyone recommend a good rural home stays with the option of learning how to weave? I've found a few I am looking into but would appreciate any further insight.

smile.png

Not sure about rugs, but a very nice lady and her son run this place. They might be able to help out on this topic.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sunday/Lively-tapestries-from-a-fading-past-30273906.html

Another link here on TVF.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/874557-lively-tapestries-from-a-fading-past/?hl=museum

• 2 weeks later...