Thailand's security guard industry now suffers man power shortage

webfact

Security guard industry now suffers man power shortage

359-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A law that regulates the security guards sector and it took effect in March this year has dealt a severe blow on the industry with many operators complaining that about 40 percent of their guards had resigned as they didn't meet the required qualifications stated by the law.

A major qualification that most guards were disqualified is the educational background.

The law states that the security guard must have a minimum qualification of Mathayomsuksa 3 level (Grade 9) education, and must be a Thai national and is at least 18-year-old. Besides the qualified guard must not have an imprisonment record for convicted crimal offence such as body assault, theft, gambling and drug.

Mr Somchai Sookpong, a security guard for 12 years who only has Pathomsueksa 6-level of education, admitted that he has to work 12 hours a day and don’t know how to find the spare time to attend a special course on security affairs in lieu of upgrading his education as legally required.

Managing director of Lanna Solution Guards, Mr Narongrit Ornmanee, said the stringent qualifications had forced about 40% of his guards, mostly hilltribe people, to resign.

This has resulted in man power shortage in the industry, he said.

Security Guard Management Association president Vachara Chaichana said most people from northern hill areas have no identification card.

The law not only discourages these people from working but also not promote the industry, he said.

Security Guard Industry Operators Association president Maj Yuthasak Kaeokamsaen also voiced that the law has affected the livelihood of over 1.5 million of operators, employees, and the people using security guard service.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/security-guard-industry-now-suffers-man-power-shortage/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-20

Guess the wifes cousin will be jobless as he was sent home from the school at the temple after taking the same grade 3 years. This was after public school said he was a waste of space and just disupted the other students from learning. His father gave up on him helping on the farm, but he stumbled on and was hired as a security man for a bank and has held it for a couple years.

I asked if they gave him real ammo as they issued a firearm to him, but unless he stays under the radar, it sounds like he will be one of the 40% out of a job. he will be mucking out a pig pen or getting into legal problems ( I bet the latter)

why don't they offer up training courses like they do in developed countries so that these people can be trained and take some pride in their jobs, sending them back to school is not the answer, they need to offer them an effective education/training path with a recognised qualification perhaps in dedicated training facilities designed for security staff and door men

Edited by smedly

Quite sad actually. These jobs has been a way for many people to get a decent job without too many educational qualifications - where are these people now going to find new employment?

To be honest do you really need 9 years of school to blow a whistle?

Governments should be giving the people and creating opportunities not taking them away.

I agree with criminal background checks but level of education ought to be irrelavent.

Soon you'll need a diploma to be a Taxi driver and a degree to put tins of paint on the shelf in a hardware store.

Lol. they didn't think that through very well did they? with very low pay and week end, night hours. Why would anyone with a matayom 3 education take such a job.

The criminal check should be enough.

How much education do you need to write down a licence plate number.

Seriously, what were they thinking? ?

Governments should be giving the people and creating opportunities not taking them away.

I agree with criminal background checks but level of education ought to be irrelavent.

Soon you'll need a diploma to be a Taxi driver and a degree to put tins of paint on the shelf in a hardware store.

Well actually. ... lol

why don't they offer up training courses like they do in developed countries so that these people can be trained and take some pride in their jobs, sending them back to school is not the answer, they need to offer them an effective education/training path with a recognised qualification perhaps in dedicated training facilities designed for security staff and door men

An excellent, practical idea that would benefit everyone, so don't expect it to happen for a good number of years if at all..

Lol. they didn't think that through very well did they? with very low pay and week end, night hours. Why would anyone with a matayom 3 education take such a job.

The criminal check should be enough.

How much education do you need to write down a licence plate number.

Seriously, what were they thinking? ?

thats not the problem.........its which end of the pencil to use................i know its insultingsad.png

An excellent, practical idea that would benefit everyone, so don't expect it to happen for a good number of years if at all..

The problem companies have training them is that they are liable to walk down the road to another company offering them 100 baht more, after they have invested the time and money training them.

Training is the answer, some kind of entry level qualification, paid for by the company. I don't know how you deal with the poaching issue, but I'm sure there must be some way of tying them to the company for a minimum period. Anyhow, they wirked it out

Quite sad actually. These jobs has been a way for many people to get a decent job without too many educational qualifications - where are these people now going to find new employment?

To be honest do you really need 9 years of school to blow a whistle?

I think you make a very good point...there has to be respectable and viable employment options for honest people who have not had educational opportunity...with the only option being back breaking labor for those born into privilege, I'm sure many will be drawn to illegal activities...with the population of out of work young men looking to blame someone for their lot in life, these policies will ultimately make farang the target of misplaced frustrations...

You need 9th grade education to open and close a gate????

our security guards already failed with that repeatedly at 3 am in the morning...............instead i hear the noise of a slumbering pig as i open it right by him.

I suspect if the same educational employment qualification requirements applied to politicians and bureaucrats many of them would be out of a job. The best qualification one can have for those jobs is to have a powerful friend.

Arab Gulf countries had security guard requirements in place but nobody gave a toss about it until the last 10 years or so, which saw many governments taking steps to improve the sector. Once the teeth started to sink in, this drove many of the fly by night "security" companies and some dodgy manpower suppliers who couldn't cope, out of business.

Many GCC countries now have similar HR hiring standards and mandatory basic training courses tied in with City & Guilds.

It all started like a fart in church just like Thailand's current effort. As with many good ideas in Thailand though, many fall apart with a lack of serious resolve, enforcement and follow through.