E-cigarettes - "light up" and face years in jail

webfact

On 6/21/2016 at 5:00 AM, dcnx said:

What if you're a rich hiso and you kill someone while vaping?

A hiso can vape then kill everyone who saw them vape, and have no problems whatsoever.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

e-cigarettes (imported) 5 years but drugs also imported? but by the real criminals, lets legalise it say those at the top, so now we know who are filling their pockets and destroying the country. Must have been in the wrong line when brains where being handed out or is everyone on the stuff and that is why we see stupid fake news stories so often here

Its a load of <deleted>, I gave up smoking for 3 years first using a small ecig moving up to a good vape kit and felt loads better. Now I'm back to 30+ a day and I'm not happy about that, after a short tour of Thailand not long ago it is clear that this is all bullshit as folk are vaping all over the land, I have just ordered my new tank and mod and will once again start vaping from what I gather it's selling the gear in Thailand not bringing it with you and using for your own consumption, maybe I'm wrong.

Is there anyone who can give the truth on this matter?

Oh I know ILLEGAL CLOSED!

How ridiculous. So let people carry on polluting the air and irritating people around them, not to mention putting a strain on Thailand's health system.

Why on earth can't they just import the damn things.

Why can't this country follow some of the good that comes from the west and move into the 20th century. The 21st century would be impossible right now.

I dispair. [emoji20]

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

2 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

Its a load of <deleted>, I gave up smoking for 3 years first using a small ecig moving up to a good vape kit and felt loads better. Now I'm back to 30+ a day and I'm not happy about that, after a short tour of Thailand not long ago it is clear that this is all bullshit as folk are vaping all over the land, I have just ordered my new tank and mod and will once again start vaping from what I gather it's selling the gear in Thailand not bringing it with you and using for your own consumption, maybe I'm wrong.

Haven't followed this for a while but from what I recall, pretty clear this is not the government caring about anyone's health, but sour grapes over a missed opportunity at tax revenue off the latest foreign thing to gain traction in their hermit kingdom.  Changing course would be viewed as weak, so always best to just dig in, declare it illegal and make the penalties so draconian, they believe the peasants will cower in fear at their latest random, whimsical edict. 

Can you imagine being in prison, guy next to you asks, "So what are you in for?"

"Er, uh, vaping cherry flavor E-cig juice, cops rolled up, guns drawn, had me dead to rights." 

39 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Haven't followed this for a while but from what I recall, pretty clear this is not the government caring about anyone's health, but sour grapes over a missed opportunity at tax revenue off the latest foreign thing to gain traction in their hermit kingdom.  Changing course would be viewed as weak, so always best to just dig in, declare it illegal and make the penalties so draconian, they believe the peasants will cower in fear at their latest random, whimsical edict. 

Can you imagine being in prison, guy next to you asks, "So what are you in for?"

"Er, uh, vaping cherry flavor E-cig juice, cops rolled up, guns drawn, had me dead to rights." 

They won't be catching me then I only vape on the mothers milk!

I posted this on the 28th January, to date, apart from one reference taken from a Thai Vaping forum, no one has actually reported being booked.

"With all the posts about vaping, illegal etc, has anyone any first hand knowledge of anyone actually being arrested for vaping in public. I have seen hundreds of posts(on various forums) but have never seen(or may have missed) anyone say that they or someone they were with were arrested etc. Same for the airport,again has anyone actually been stopped searched and confiscated or fined. I know you cannot buy legally in Thailand but this not about buying, this is farangs using"

From this draw your own conclusions

The Government must be missing a trick here. Legalise it but tax it heavily. Get the Thai tobacco monopoly to create their own e-tobacco (or whatever it's called, I wouldn't have a clue being a non-smoker/vaper). They seem to be taxing everything in sight right now so why not this?

3 minutes ago, madmitch said:

The Government must be missing a trick here. Legalise it but tax it heavily. Get the Thai tobacco monopoly to create their own e-tobacco (or whatever it's called, I wouldn't have a clue being a non-smoker/vaper). They seem to be taxing everything in sight right now so why not this?

I suspect because they believe they can't control it.... because with simple ingredients ( vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, nicotine liquid, flavour) you can make it yourself for under 100 Baht per week. So maybe they think a blanket ban is best ( it's not, the vaping genie is out of the bottle and won't be going back).

13 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

I come and go all the time. No one shows the remotest interest in my vape stuff in security or customs. I don't try to hide it.

Around a month or two ago a thai was arrested in a motorway control with a e cig, he was taken to the police station and had to pay 100k to get released. He posted a picture from the police station of the money with a lengthy caption which went viral. Saw many of my vaping friends sharing it and condemning the police.

Ever since, I stopped taking my mod out of my room. Even though all my hiso friends keep vaping everywhere with no worries :sleep:

5 hours ago, Jamestaylor said:

Around a month or two ago a thai was arrested in a motorway control with a e cig, he was taken to the police station and had to pay 100k to get released. He posted a picture from the police station of the money with a lengthy caption which went viral. Saw many of my vaping friends sharing it and condemning the police.

Ever since, I stopped taking my mod out of my room. Even though all my hiso friends keep vaping everywhere with no worries :sleep:

Well, that's scary to hear. It is probably wise to be low key for now.

• 1 month later...
On 23/03/2017 at 10:33 AM, Prbkk said:

I suspect because they believe they can't control it.... because with simple ingredients ( vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, nicotine liquid, flavour) you can make it yourself for under 100 Baht per week. So maybe they think a blanket ban is best ( it's not, the vaping genie is out of the bottle and won't be going back).

Where can I get nicotine liquid from, do chemist stock it in Thailand?

1 hour ago, Gojo62 said:

Where can I get nicotine liquid from, do chemist stock it in Thailand?

I'm not aware of a local source over the counter . I import mine to Australia ( from the USA) and mix it there ( importation of small quantities is permitted, I get a litre at a time). It is possible to have it sent to Thailand but the possibility of having it confiscated in customs is probably high.

The Thai Vapers forum would be the best place to seek advice about local sourcing.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me how its going now with regards to vaping? 

Going in a weeks time and want to know first hand whats going on. I always bring my vape bettery with me in my suitcase and have a vape pen on me and not had a problem before but not been since last November.

13 hours ago, leeroy221 said:

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me how its going now with regards to vaping? 

Going in a weeks time and want to know first hand whats going on. I always bring my vape bettery with me in my suitcase and have a vape pen on me and not had a problem before but not been since last November.

They want you to smoke cigs for the taxes.Dont risk it.I vape.Another reason that i dont go there.You might get away with it.But an expencive risk.Maybe £5000 fine.And the police on the take.Will ask for half of this.My advice.Smoke cigs if you have to.Leave vape at home.Best advice.Dont go thailand.

14 minutes ago, Thomas Hannah said:

They want you to smoke cigs for the taxes.Dont risk it.I vape.Another reason that i dont go there.You might get away with it.But an expencive risk.Maybe £5000 fine.And the police on the take.Will ask for half of this.My advice.Smoke cigs if you have to.Leave vape at home.Best advice.Dont go thailand.

Visiting family so no backing out. I really dont want to go back on the stinkeys but may have to. Can vapes still be bought over there do you know? Maybe a better option than taking mine just to use at the house we stay?

Why they dont just tax it i never know. Incoming tourists can pay an import tax, get a receipt and keep it on them. Then if they get stopped they show receipt, all ok. If no receipt then a fine, but i realise this dont help locals or expats.

2 hours ago, leeroy221 said:

Visiting family so no backing out. I really dont want to go back on the stinkeys but may have to. Can vapes still be bought over there do you know? Maybe a better option than taking mine just to use at the house we stay?

Why they dont just tax it i never know. Incoming tourists can pay an import tax, get a receipt and keep it on them. Then if they get stopped they show receipt, all ok. If no receipt then a fine, but i realise this dont help locals or expats.

Put what you need for your stay in suitcase.Only use in home .Take one with you on plane.Throw in bin at airport before you go through passport controll.If you are out anywhere you will have to smoke.the police will be looking for farangs with vapours to make some big money.Thailand has lost the plot.Thats why i left 2 years ago after virtualy living there for 12 years.Be warned.Dont take the risk.

On 21.06.2016 at 0:36 AM, Brer Fox said:

For those who need their nicotine E-cigarettes is a much healthier way to take it rather via normal tobacco cigarettes with all the associated health problems.

Nicotine on it's own is not carcinogenic but just about everything else in a tobacco cigarette is. E-Cigarettes are encouraged in some countries in preference to tobacco cigarettes which kill people. But no not in Thailand, it is more important to collect tax rather than save lives.

Very possible that you are correct. Allow me to mention a study from a western university that I read a few years back that raised concerns on E-cigarettes. The vapour was suspected (thus not proved with empirical research) to  create some new immunization in body cells, making them resist antibiotics. 

Le'ts remember, passive smoking (that is the smoke fumes breathed by non smokers in closed areas), took almost 2 decades to be admitted. Why? because the labs making these tests were funded by a well known global reputed cigarette company (and others probably).

And I won't even mention the harmful side effects of gsm network phones on the brain, on which timidly some studies arise but you can guess where they end up...but with time the GSM issue will also get more publicized.

Thus, with IMHO and with full credit to your post dear Brer Fox, allow me (as a smoker, I confess) to have certain doubts on the side effects of E-vap that remain unknown or are hushed up for various reasons. But obviously, by the time the "truth" on E-vap arises, chances are that my daily consumption of regular cigarettes would have me 6 feet below the sea level!!:cheesy:

Another alternative naturally would be: http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/quit-smoking/

5 hours ago, leeroy221 said:

For what it's worth...I continue to in/out through BKK every month ( up to 4 times). I still carry all my stuff without a problem. No one is interested in it, as far as I can determine.

I have stopped using my ecigs in a very public way, as per the advice above. I suggest that with discretion there is unlikely to be a problem.

On 6/21/2016 at 4:34 AM, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

A mentally unstable justice system!

There are never any arguments that come along with these announcements. It's like telling kids 'don't step outside the door unless you ask me first' - they actually need a bit more reasoning, otherwise they'll be straight out when you're not looking and they'll resent you for actually enforcing your stupid rule.

Also strange is the need to remove 'amphetamines' from the 'narcotics' list. Does that mean they're legalising it?

Narcotics is a word used by police, not a scientific or medical term - so what does this mean anyway?

Why doesn't the 'tobacco monopoly' simply start selling e-cigarettes? DO they have too much investment in the hospitals and worry about the huge incomes from smokers?

Next up, we'll hear they're going to ban people from using mobile phones whilst they're driving. If that goes ahead I expect my morning traffic to be halved at least!

On 21/06/2016 at 5:00 AM, dcnx said:

What if you're a rich hiso and you kill someone while vaping?

You get fined 4 times the value of the e-cigarette and your lawyer points out that as this is the primary offence, the other, secondary, offence is now no longer eligible for prosecution.

Archived