Who should keep the work permit?

Hello,

I have a question regarding my work permit.

I have just started another teaching job, and it seems that the school wants to keep my work permit.

They said, they will keep it for me and I don't have to worry about that. Actually I find this quite surprising and a bit weird. My previous employers never wanted to keep the original work permit, they just needed a copy and that's it.

Anyone of you guys made similar experiences?

It's supposed to be available for inspection at the place of work, so in a way it makes sense for the school to keep it "safe" in case an employee forgets it.

Mine lives in my works backpack as I have multiple work sites, never been asked for it or my passport in 12 years.

• Like 1

I have never worked in Thailand and therefore have no personal experience with my employers keeping my Work Permit.

However I have been asked in other countries by my employer to let them "keep my passport" or the local document in that country that was the equivalent there to a Thai Work Permit.

I always tried to find some way to avoid having my employer physically hold my work documents.... I kept them myself.

The reason was that I have known cases where a foreign employee was terminated or fired without notice.... and the employer simply presented the employee with a canceled visa and a ticket home with a termination letter.

It never happened to me personally..... but I have none people it happened to.

So, one way or the other, I always found a way to keep my own documents in my possession.

I have never worked in Thailand and therefore have no personal experience with my employers keeping my Work Permit.

However I have been asked in other countries by my employer to let them "keep my passport" or the local document in that country that was the equivalent there to a Thai Work Permit.

I always tried to find some way to avoid having my employer physically hold my work documents.... I kept them myself.

The reason was that I have known cases where a foreign employee was terminated or fired without notice.... and the employer simply presented the employee with a canceled visa and a ticket home with a termination letter.

It never happened to me personally..... but I have none people it happened to.

So, one way or the other, I always found a way to keep my own documents in my possession.

A good few years ago the Thai sub-contractor had about 6 guys from UK working on one part of the contract and held all the passports and WP's so they could 'keep the visas up to date'

As per your post after about 9 months all the guys were terminated and handed back their passports that still had the one and only entry stamp. Also turned out no WP's existed.

Can remember what the fine was at the airport, the old rate, but luckily they all got back to UK without a problem.

Today would be a bit different I reckon.

To the best of my knowledge, you must be able to produce the original work permit for employees at your place of work should an authorized individual ask to see them. That said, we do not require you to leave it with our office. Showing the work permit can get you into national parks and other locations at a discounted price. However, we do ask our employees to have it on hand while they are at work to cover the being able to produce it requirement. In the years I have been here, that has never happened, but who knows in the current environment. Cheers....

Thank you for your comments,everyone. I appreciate that.

I talked to one of my colleagues this morning. They said they want to keep the original work permit, because they fear that foreigner teachers could make a runner and use the work permit to work at another school.
I think that's nonsense though, cause the name of the school is mentioned in the work permit.

Anyway, I will ask them tomorrow to give me the work permit. Just hope that won't be a problem.

• 2 years later...