My Wife Surprised Me for My Birthday...again.

I have a really great life but I am nevertheless not enjoying the aging process and birthdays in particular. My wife seems to sense my trepidation this time of year so she planned a special day for me. This is my rebuttal to all those old archived topics where people say Thais don’t celebrate birthdays.

We drove nearly 60 kilometers to the Meridien Hotel in Chiang Rai. My wife checked us in and we headed to the room. There I found a large bouquet of flowers on the bed and a small birthday cake with my name on it.
We changed clothes and headed to the gym for a workout followed by a sunset swim in their beautiful riverside pool. After getting cleaned up we had a romantic dinner for two at Favola Restaurant topped off by another birthday cake and the staff singing happy birthday.
After a romantic night in the hotel we got up late, had a leisurely and delicious breakfast before another brief workout and checking out at noon. From there we went to the Mall before heading home mid afternoon.
It was planned by my wife without my knowledge and I didn’t have to do anything but relax and enjoy myself with my favorite person. I am feeling pretty darn lucky to have such a caring partner, even after 19 years together.
Anyone else with a feel good happy birthday story to share?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I have a really great life but I am nevertheless not enjoying the aging process and birthdays in particular. My wife seems to sense my trepidation this time of year so she planned a special day for me. This is my rebuttal to all those old archived topics where people say Thais don’t celebrate birthdays.

We drove nearly 60 kilometers to the Meridien Hotel in Chiang Rai. My wife checked us in and we headed to the room. There I found a large bouquet of flowers on the bed and a small birthday cake with my name on it.
We changed clothes and headed to the gym for a workout followed by a sunset swim in their beautiful riverside pool. After getting cleaned up we had a romantic dinner for two at Favola Restaurant topped off by another birthday cake and the staff singing happy birthday.
After a romantic night in the hotel we got up late, had a leisurely and delicious breakfast before another brief workout and checking out at noon. From there we went to the Mall before heading home mid afternoon.
It was planned by my wife without my knowledge and I didn’t have to do anything but relax and enjoy myself with my favorite person. I am feeling pretty darn lucky to have such a caring partner, even after 19 years together.
Anyone else with a feel good happy birthday story to share?"
Disgusting,you forgot to work out after dinner? bah.gif

Happy Birthday Mate!

None of your story really comes much of a surprise to me actually, as I was aware you were in a happy and healthy relationship and you're both sporty & well suited. So no surprised. I was a little bit surprised that you didn't provide a photo of a view or something nice from the day, you're slipping fella.

My birthdays normally start with a clip around the earhole just as a warning in case I plan on being naughty. Hold on that's the same every day 555555

Being married to a wonderful woman like my wife makes like every day feel like a birthday

;)

I was told if I was good this year I could get a motorcycle for my birthday, so I'm busy doing the research and a few test rides. What I did notice is that bikes these days don't seem to be made for old codgers. :D

Happy Birthday Mate!

None of your story really comes much of a surprise to me actually, as I was aware you were in a happy and healthy relationship and you're both sporty & well suited. So no surprised. I was a little bit surprised that you didn't provide a photo of a view or something nice from the day, you're slipping fella.

My birthdays normally start with a clip around the earhole just as a warning in case I plan on being naughty. Hold on that's the same every day 555555

Being married to a wonderful woman like my wife makes like every day feel like a birthday

;)

I was told if I was good this year I could get a motorcycle for my birthday, so I'm busy doing the research and a few test rides. What I did notice is that bikes these days don't seem to be made for old codgers. :D

Are you sure there's room in the garage for a bike....Remember there's the Cessna A380 you got for your birthday last year in there, and the luxury yacht from the year before....?

Belated happy birthday, VF. What a great thread - thanks. Only worry about birthdays if you stop having them, as that tends to be dangerous....in the meantime, enjoy each and every one of them (yours and Mrs VF's too)

?

A female friend of mine (non Thai) told me she was planing a big surprise for her husband's 40th birthday - 1 night for him, her and another girl........

I thought that was cool and a great b'day gift. Eventually she backed off the idea as she was afraid he'll get addicted to this style.........

Happy Birthday Mate!

Pictures were taken, just not by me. My wife took lots of photos with her iPhone and produced a lovely video compilation. As usual, those shots ended up on FaceBook not here on TVF. This doesn’t seem to me to be the right place for anything of a truly personal nature.

Happy Birthday Mate!

wink.png

I was told if I was good this year I could get a motorcycle for my birthday, so I'm busy doing the research and a few test rides. What I did notice is that bikes these days don't seem to be made for old codgers. biggrin.png

Get a three wheeled bike, no, I'm serious, I fancy one of these Champ three wheelers with a sort of trailer behind it, though not for a good few years yet.

I tried to google it, but I cannot get any information about one in Thailand, I assume they may be made in China, but someone must supply them somewhere here.

I see many of them about all the time.

Mine says "you are good man for me" but she forgot my birthday again this year. 555 mai mee samong?

Samong? I thought it was mai mee satang or mai mee 'tang. What does samong mean? Or is this Issan dialect?

Oh man...how are you going to top that when it's her birthday ??

Life for us is not a competition and I like to think she is showing her appreciation for everything I do for her. I am less about the grand gestures and more about providing the foundation of our relationship.

Mine says "you are good man for me" but she forgot my birthday again this year. 555 mai mee samong?

Samong? I thought it was mai mee satang or mai mee 'tang. What does samong mean? Or is this Issan dialect?

Samong in "brain" in Thai.

Happy Birthday Mate!

;)

Are you sure there's room in the garage for a bike....Remember there's the Cessna A380 you got for your birthday last year in there, and the luxury yacht from the year before....?

According to those wackos there's at least 5 Cessna A380's withhold plated wings.

The fleet of yachts was sold off to buy my own airport 5555

I only want a little bike....if that's ok with you... Although geriatric that I am I should probably go for a 3 wheeler !

Happy Birthday Mate!

Pictures were taken, just not by me. My wife took lots of photos with her iPhone and produced a lovely video compilation. As usual, those shots ended up on FaceBook not here on TVF. This doesnt seem to me to be the right place for anything of a truly personal nature.

No it's DEFINATELY not but I was more thinking one of your scenery shot than one of ur ugly noggin!

:P

Happy Birthday Mate!

wink.png

I was told if I was good this year I could get a motorcycle for my birthday, so I'm busy doing the research and a few test rides. What I did notice is that bikes these days don't seem to be made for old codgers. biggrin.png

Get a three wheeled bike, no, I'm serious, I fancy one of these Champ three wheelers with a sort of trailer behind it, though not for a good few years yet.

I tried to google it, but I cannot get any information about one in Thailand, I assume they may be made in China, but someone must supply them somewhere here.

Great minds think alike or is it, fools seldom differ 5555

Let's get one each & we can do the geriatrics version of the yankie show 'chips'.

;)

Happy Birthday Mate!

wink.png

Great minds think alike or is it, fools seldom differ 5555

Let's get one each & we can do the geriatrics version of the yankie show 'chips'.

wink.png

Oh, I'm nowhere near ready for that yet, I am thinking of the quite distant future.

Happy Birthday Mate!

Pictures were taken, just not by me. My wife took lots of photos with her iPhone and produced a lovely video compilation. As usual, those shots ended up on FaceBook not here on TVF. This doesnt seem to me to be the right place for anything of a truly personal nature.

No it's DEFINATELY not but I was more thinking one of your scenery shot than one of ur ugly noggin!

tongue.png

Nothing from the other day but I do have a recent shot of the pool at the hotel.

Pool%2Band%2BCoffee%2B-%2B2.jpg

Archived