Unique View Of The Moat. Not.

Greenside

Other than some doubts as to how the exterior finishes will wear, I was quite impressed with the design of the Unique Condo building near to the northwest corner of the Moat. Great location, and for those lucky enough to have bought facing south, an interesting view of the activity around the moat - well it would have been except now they're in the middle of constructing a row of two story Shophouses on either side of the entrance. I wonder if the buyers of the units who now look out onto a car park and what is almost certain to become an unsightly retail delivery and garbage storage area were privy to these plans?.

A common practice, unfortunately. When buying, if there is some land around always try to find out what's going to happen with it. Where I live, a developer decided to build a row of houses in front of our condo in an impossible location, blocking completely the view of 4 floors in the condo and not managing to sell a single house so far.

This said, being spared the view on the moat could be a blessing in disguise.

re

-well it would have been except now they're in the middle of constructing a row of two story Shophouses on either side of the entrance

he means the area in front where the cars and bikes are parked !

they wouldnt :(

ohhh what a surprise ... they have :(

unique condo prices plumet ! .. tough !

dave2

post-42592-0-94526300-1466525055_thumb.j

Reminds me of the "seaview" condos that someone built in Pattaya a while back. The ones facing the sea were obviously sold at a premium.

And once sold, they started constructing another building nearer the sea, turning the "seaview" condos into "neighbours shithouseview" condos.

They all went a-marching to Town Hall but I think it came to nought.

Massive construction just behind the Unique now. A large school has been demolished and big diggers and post hole machines at work. IMO, it's all so ugly. The loss of green space, trees, birds, a bit of nature all gone to cars, motorbikes, endless congestion. Ugly ugly and more ugly.

what terrible planning!

As is generally the case, there probably wasn't any planning involved at all.

Or, if there actually was some thought put into it, having store fronts on that busy road would certainly generate a sizable additional income for the land owner. Excellent plan, thinks he. Aesthetics be damned; green space is not a money maker.

Plus the exterior design is terrible. Very tacky looking. Same with the supposedly high-end boutique hotel that just opened at the moat end of Rathvithi Rd. Could it look any more ridiculous? Some high school student does the architecture design for these boondoggles I guess.

Massive construction just behind the Unique now. A large school has been demolished and big diggers and post hole machines at work. IMO, it's all so ugly. The loss of green space, trees, birds, a bit of nature all gone to cars, motorbikes, endless congestion. Ugly ugly and more ugly.

Some people say that CM is becoming a vibrant,modern city in keeping up with progress and growth.I say rubbish to that CM will soon reach traffic gridlock and this just another example of lack of town planning regulations,not to mention the hideous electronic billboards that are springing up like mushrooms.

Common denominator is greed. I find it amusing there is a "Greening CM" group,in a city that is fast becoming covered in concrete.

Not far away from the " Unigue" RAM Hospital will be opening another building and that part of the city is already under siege from traffic congestion and lack of parking.The road up to Doi Suthep will just become like a parking lot

AOT's announcement that the Airport is to be upgraded is another nail in the coffin.Traffic access in that area has no where to expand and apparently no new plans in place to alleviate the situation.The airport should be moved out to Lamphum or wherever and connected to the city by a fast ,stand alone, mono rail

Chiang Mai had the chance to do it right and failed miserably and future generations will be living in a mini Bangkok and bemoaning the lack of vision over ruled by those who only saw profit.

re

Plus the exterior design is terrible. Very tacky looking. Same with the supposedly high-end boutique hotel that just opened at the moat end of Rathvithi Rd. Could it look any more ridiculous? Some high school student does the architecture design for these boondoggles I guess.

here ya go :)

they seem to be pushing massage services more than the hotel there

why i dont know :(

dave2

post-42592-0-10406700-1466574894_thumb.j

post-42592-0-21230300-1466574925_thumb.j

what terrible planning!

They do this on purpose.

Same happens near the mountain, you buy a condo with an amazing view and as soon as the building is sold out they break ground on a new building that will block your view.

"Developers" can't wait to start slashing and burning their way up the mountain, and throwing up hillside condos. The thing going in behind 700 stadium is the opening wedge.

Are they starting to build up the mountain? Curious about the chanot on that.

"Developers" can't wait to start slashing and burning their way up the mountain, and throwing up hillside condos. The thing going in behind 700 stadium is the opening wedge.

Are they starting to build up the mountain? Curious about the chanot on that.
The court/government owns the land and is building housing for judges - it's legal. Whether it's ethical is a different question of course ;) Edited by narkeddiver

re

here ya go smile.png

why i dont know sad.png

That looks magnificent! Whatcha all blabbering 'bout? That's so much better than the sad concrete shoeboxes built during the alleged 'good old days'. It's an homage to wooden architecture in a modern design that's fit for purpose. Lovely!

Indeed looks like the SISP. More here, some in English. Yeah, lots more congestion, street eats and rats.

.https://www.facebook.com/sisbchiangmai/photos/pcb.1398334623526567/1398334556859907/?type=3

A school for 750 children that will only be accessible by a narrow soi that already provides access to several businesses and the parking garage for Icon Plaza. Traffic will be a nightmare, but when has that ever stopped development in Chiang Mai?

re

here ya go smile.png

why i dont know sad.png

That looks magnificent! Whatcha all blabbering 'bout? That's so much better than the sad concrete shoeboxes built during the alleged 'good old days'. It's an homage to wooden architecture in a modern design that's fit for purpose. Lovely!

Fast forward 5 years when all the paint is peeling off its. Tacky... like a movie set built to last however long it takes to make the movie (or sell space)

Most Thai 'architects' aren't fit to design a garden shed, let alone a dwelling.

Sorry. Was trying to include Dave2's "before" pictures of the building but can't seem to delete the quote now. facepalm.gif

Unless the developer stated that the land would be green-spaces; nothing unusual happened. The height restrictions aren't secret...pay a premium to live on a higher floor, or pay less, and live on a lower floor.

This picture taken yesterday from the edge of the moat and it looks like only the top floor will be able to see the water at all - everyone else get the charming and exclusive rear aspect of the shops. KKK is right when he points out that this kind of thing is not unusual but it does serve as a warning as to what kind of assumptions it's safe to make when buying into a development like this and the answer is categorically none. The pay more and don't get screwed principal is not borne out here so no matter how unlikely the possibility of your enjoyment (not to mention investment) being spoiled by this kind of greedy bad planning, get something in writing added to the contract.

And don't let's start on the "never buy anything in Thailand" thing again, please.

post-40471-0-50627800-1466829442_thumb.j

Edited by Greenside

that's some of the priciest land in the North....what the heck did they think they were going to do with it? Hawker stalls and motorbike parking? And by Asian standards, the building looks pretty good, and I had noticed they had done some very good concrete work out front, taking care to use proper grading and expansion joints.