Noise Pollution Around Suvarnabhumi Airport Will Be Dealt With

Jai Dee

Noise pollution around Suvarnabhumi Airport will be dealt with

The Royal Thai Air Force Commander-in-Chief, Air Chief Marshal Chalit Phukpasuk (ชลิต พุกผาสุก), is ready to compile all problems that have arisen after the official opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport, especially the problem of noise pollution. Those problems will be submitted to the the Ministry of Transport within November 17th.

ACM Chalit said planes arriving at and departing from Suvarnabhumi Airport are causing noise pollution, but all involved parties have been urged to hastily help the troubled residents nearby the venue.

On the 17th of this month, a meeting between a committee will be held to discuss and take note of the tasks involved with Suvarnabhumi Airport. The meeting will also gather all working processes and submit them to the Ministry of Transport and the new set of committee of the Airport of Thailand (AOT) for further consideration.

They will particularly focus on solving the noise pollution problem and adding up the budget used for solving it.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 November 2006

The Government will spend 390-million-baht budget to assist people suffering from noise pollution from Suvarnabhumi Airport

The Transport Minister, Admiral Thira Hao-charoen (ธีระ ห้าวเจริญ), has pledged to help relieve difficulties for people who are affected by noise pollution from Suvarnabhumi Airport. Meanwhile, the government has set a budget of 390 million baht for solving the problem.

According to Admiral Thira, villagers affected by the noise pollution have expressed satisfaction for the results of discussion with authorities that pledged to give them compensations. The Minister, however, is scheduled to meet them tomorrow evening to hear problems in order to provide assistance for them effectively. He also planned to submit the request of 390-million-baht budget to the new Airport of Thailand Board, which will be appointed on November 16th.

He explained that the budget will be spent for 71 families suffering from the noise pollution. However, a victim who was declared death by the noise pollution would receive an appropriate compensation.

He also requested all noise-pollution-affected villagers not to stage demonstration at the Suvarnabhumi Airport. Such action will not only damage the operations in the airport, but it will also create negative images to the country.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 November 2006

Negotiation with people living around Suvarnabhumi Airport seems positive

Mr. Chotisak Asapaviriya, the President of the Airport of Thailand (AOT), affirmed the negotiation with the residents around Suvarnabhumi Airport has eased up in a good direction, and the conclusion will be reached by this year’s end.

However, related agencies have to work together and discuss the measures to solve the residents’ problems once again, and therefore, the AOT will end up with the best alternatives for everyone.

The AOT President also confirmed that all settlements will be conducted legally, and moreover, the research on the adjustment of flight routes is being carried out quickly so the problems would be solved before the end of this year.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 November 2006

BKK Deputy Governor : 10 schools outside premises of Suvarnabhumi Airport seriously affected by noise pollution

Bangkok Deputy Governor Putthipong Punnakun (พุทธิพงษ์ ปุณณกันต์) revealed that there are currently 10 schools surrounding Suvarnabhumi Aiport that are seriously facing noise pollution.

He said that the noise pollution has caused the obstruction during class. In the meantime, traffic around the airport is also affected.

Mr Putthipong said that he has informed the responsible committee to study the details of the problems and find a way to resolve the issue. The committee will cooperate with the representatives from Suvarnabhumi Airport and the Airport of Thailand (AOT).

As for the primary implementation, Ladkrabang (ลาดกระบัง) District Office has been assigned to observe the number of the schools and households affected by the noise pollution to find further assistance.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 November 2006

• 3 weeks later...

Suvarnabhumi airport director visited communities around new airport to explain details of noise-problem assistance

Suvarnabhumi airport director Somchai Sawasdeephol (สมชัย สวัสดีผล) visited people living around the new airport who have been affected by the noise problem, to gather more information for use in providing further assistance.

Airports of Thailand Plc. yesterday reported that the Suvarnabhumi airport director visited the community around Bumrungruen (บำรุงรื่น) temple, and spoke to a crowd of 300 people from Bumrungruen community and the nearby Thepsirinromklao (เทพศิรินทร์ร่มเกล้า) community. Mr. Somchai explained to the local residents that collaboration has already been made with the Civil Aviation Department and Aeronautical Radio of Thailand to change the flying schedules. As for the modification to be made to each house, Mr. Somchai said King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang will provide the design and select the materials for the modifications aimed at minimizing noise for those inside the homes. He assured that the AOT will pay for all expenses, and this assurance seemed to have satisfied the local residents.

Mr. Somchai also received several sets of evidence from the residents, such as their land ownership documents, their house registrations and the photographs of the homes, which will be used in the evaluation process that would lead to the payout of compensation to the home owners.

The Suvarnabhumi airport director also visited Bangcholong (บางโฉลง) community afterwards, to conduct a similiar mission.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 4 December 2006

AOT affirms that it will expedite compensation process to all local residents around Suvarnabhumi

The Airports of Thailand company affirms that it will expedite the compensation process to all local residents affected by noise pollution from the Suvarnabhumi Airport operations.

The Director of Suvarnabhumi Airport, Mr. Somchai Sawasdipol (สมชัย สวัสดิผล), said that the Airports of Thailand company will facilitate the payment of compensation for local residents in 71 homes troubled by noise from airport operations. Mr. Somchai said that compensation must be conducted in an orderly manner, however, and that local residents pegged for compensation have been divided into several groups, including residents willing to sell their homes at a pre-determined AOT price, and residents unwilling to sell their homes at prices offered by the AOT. Mr. Somchai said that the latter group would be required to settle the matter at the Court of Justice.

The director said that officials have been sent into affected areas to conduct price estimations for homes, and groups in conflict with AOT compensation policy are being persuaded to enter discussions with the company. Mr. Somchai affirmed that he will expedite the resolution of the matter in order to relieve the burden on local homeowners.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 7 December 2006

Noise hits homes in a 10km radius

The Pollution Control Depart-ment (PCD) said yesterday homes up to 10 kilometres from Suvarna-bhumi Airport would be affected by aircraft noise and Airports of Thailand (AOT) must compensate the first group of 320 homes by January 31.

National Legislative Assembly member Akkarapol Sorasuchart. meanwhile, said the Thaksin administration had opened the airport when it was not ready and it had led to many problems.

PCD director-general Supat Wangwongwatana and AOT President Chotesak Artpawiriya held a press conference following a meeting to tackle airport noise yesterday. Forty resident representatives were present.

Supat said the PCD had simulated the new airport's full capacity of 76 flights per hour and found homes affected by the noise at a measure of 30 NEF (Noise Exposure Forecast) to 40 NEF were as far as 10 kilometres from the airport. The authorities would have to help all of them by 2009 to 2010, he said, although for now the priority would be on those living in the 40 NEF zone.

For the 320 homes to which the Cabinet had agreed the AOT should pay compensation, a January 31 deadline was set. The AOT would buy the properties or improve the existing houses so they were noise-proof, Supat said.

AOT had said it was negotiating to buy 71 homes in the 40 NEF zone that yielded over 70 decibels of noise. Most homeowners wanted to move but had not yet reached agreement regarding compensation, according to Supat.

The resident representatives urged AOT to be clear on the land expropriation and give them a fair price because the offered price was lower than the real price, making it hard for them to buy new places.

Orawan Jaemsila from Rom Klao Village said AOT in late November had offered Bt15,000 to Bt21,000 per square wa, whilst the media had reported the price at Bt15,000 to Bt52,000.

Meanwhile, Akkarapol raised questions about whether the Thaksin government's decision had led to many problems including aircraft noise, insufficient cargo and toilets and security breaches. He questioned slow passenger luggage delivery which came from the luggage conveyor belt system and some malfunctioning CTX bomb scanners.

"Do these problems come from the Thaksin government's premature opening or specification rigging? What will the government do to solve corruption problems from the new airport's construction and when will it be officially opened?" he asked.

Source: The Nation - 8 December 2006

As if 390 million will solve the problem. Anyhow I do not hear people complaining near Don Muang anymore. And getting rid of moise pollution simply means being less greedy, and tripe landing fees and parking fees for noisy aircraft, just like they do in Europe. But I doubt if they will ever enforce that. Capitalism is king in Thailand.

• 3 months later...
AOT affirms that it will expedite compensation process to all local residents around Suvarnabhumi

The Airports of Thailand company affirms that it will expedite the compensation process to all local residents affected by noise pollution from the Suvarnabhumi Airport operations.

The Director of Suvarnabhumi Airport, Mr. Somchai Sawasdipol (สมชัย สวัสดิผล), said that the Airports of Thailand company will facilitate the payment of compensation for local residents in 71 homes troubled by noise from airport operations. Mr. Somchai said that compensation must be conducted in an orderly manner, however, and that local residents pegged for compensation have been divided into several groups, including residents willing to sell their homes at a pre-determined AOT price, and residents unwilling to sell their homes at prices offered by the AOT. Mr. Somchai said that the latter group would be required to settle the matter at the Court of Justice.

The director said that officials have been sent into affected areas to conduct price estimations for homes, and groups in conflict with AOT compensation policy are being persuaded to enter discussions with the company. Mr. Somchai affirmed that he will expedite the resolution of the matter in order to relieve the burden on local homeowners.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 7 December 2006

- - - - - - - -

Sir

To you and all concerned .

18 years ago my wife and I spent 25000 GB pounds building a house on land worth approximately 17000 GB pounds. This was to house my mother-in-law(then 64 yrs old), a carer and ourselves when we visited. It was a great struggle to achieve this but nevertheless a good cause. Rumours then said there was to be an airport somewhere to the west of us, but that rumour had been passed around for 10 years or more by then. Since then the Baht has halved in value, my mother-in-law has been taken into permanent care with other members of the family and the property has been blighted by noise pollution making it un-sellable or at best undesirable at a ‘pre-airport’ market value./font]

The recent changes in flight paths and reduced frequency of flights has improved the noise situation marginally from when we arrived in December. However it is inevitable that this will get worse again as the airport grows and full use is achieved. It appears that compulsory/optional AOT purchase is not now going to happen (rumour) nor will compensation be given (another rumour) despite the fact that we are 500metres from one flight path.

We are told that it is unrealistic to expect any written communication from the authorities responsible and that I should approach them myself. We are now retired and need concrete information to plan our retirement.

Is there any person or official department that can be approached to give us an interview and perhaps even a written response for us to show to prospective buyers if we are able to sell?

Would be grateful for any direction you are able to give.

magpie3

HI

Whilst I have sympathy with anyone affected by the noise at the new airport, I can't help recalling an article I read about the situation at London Heathrow.

The gist of it was that generous compensation should be made subject to various qualifications.

They were.........

1) The recipient was resident prior to the advent of Heathrow Airport.

2) The recipient had never worked at or earned their income from services aimed at Heathrow.

3) The recipient had never used the services of the airport.

Seems to me to rule out 99.9% of residents, but it does make the point that you are there by choice and for convienience, why should taxpayers pay for a situation of your own making.

TBWG :o

The writer would like to point out that in the UK he lives under the Gatwick flightpath.

HI

Whilst I have sympathy with anyone affected by the noise at the new airport, I can't help recalling an article I read about the situation at London Heathrow.

The gist of it was that generous compensation should be made subject to various qualifications.

They were.........

1) The recipient was resident prior to the advent of Heathrow Airport.

2) The recipient had never worked at or earned their income from services aimed at Heathrow.

3) The recipient had never used the services of the airport.

Seems to me to rule out 99.9% of residents, but it does make the point that you are there by choice and for convienience, why should taxpayers pay for a situation of your own making.

TBWG :o

The writer would like to point out that in the UK he lives under the Gatwick flightpath.

Thanks for your input. However -

But for an accident of location we would still be living in peace or perhaps more relevant if we had been about 1 kilometer nearer to the airport the 'taxpayer' would have compensated us already, albeit at the expense of losing our lovely house which we had imagined we would be retiring to since it was built 18 years ago. When the A380 came in the tiles and foundations of the house were shaking. We (the extended family) met all the above criteria before the aiport was built. Furthermore any worthwhile environmental study would have avoided most of the huge number of noise pollution complaints and other issues that have arisen post-operatively at the airport - I am of course assuming this study would have been acted upon appropriately.

Perhaps someone has more relevant and useful information to provide regarding the current situation?

Since my last post, my enquiries so far have pointed me towards the AOT diector at the airport and failing any satisfactory reply/response to my enquiries I have been told that the department of communications will deal with any complaints about the response of AOT. Perhaps its just another runaround but I am obliged to take the exercise.

It would be particularly useful to find out the name and address/location of any individual who could provide direct contact on behalf of AOT - if anyone can oblige?

I will of course continue enquiries myself but would be interested anyway to know how many (if any) 'farangs' there are around the airport perimeter that are affected by this and what their experiences have been.

Regards

Magpie3

Just found out this afternoon -Sunday 18th March - that there is a meeting in a local school where all concerned parties in the area will be present to discuss the noise pollution issue and compensation. It was postponed (fortunately for me) from 9am until 5pm because the air conditioning broke down. Hopefully it will be fixed by the time we get there!

For anyone interested that doesn't know, the school is adjacent to the Sung Haracha temple.

This lies west of the Northwest corner of the airport along Onut Road between Onut and the Railway line which runs parallel and north of Onut.

Going West along Onut, take the Min Buri turnoff (1st major Right turn after the airport) and keep left then U turn under the bridge. THen, take the first soi to the left and go to the end and turn left. The school is on the left.

That's as close as I can get you!

Slim chance that this is useful because of the timing - but I've just found out myself.

Will report any progress.

Magpie3

Continuing on -

Well the meeting at the school was firstly a lecture from a surveyor regarding valuation. This was apparrently to place the public in posession of the facts so they can negotiate from a position of understanding. Or a cynic would say - in order to reduce expectations of those imagining a 'comfortable' settlement for their property/business/land etc. Either way, the detailed lecture would be beyond the average citizen's understanding and would only highlight their inability to negotiate effectively without professional advice. Some exceptionally lucky/careful individuals may hold all the receipts regarding land and building costs, which may help them establish a property value. But If they bought the land cheap or fiddled the declared value for tax purposes - etc. - they are unlikely to be fully compendated.

The question and answer session was in full swing when we left the building.

As I suspected the only way forward is an independent survey to establish the current value of our house and devaluation due to the noise, (about 3000 - 3500 baht) followed by a direct and/or written approach to AOT at the airport asking for their offer amount with either acceptance or negotiation thereafter.

May follow up on this in due course but would be interested in any input from others in similar positions.

PS. Survey forms for those claiming compensation should have been submitted to AOT by now. Also the amount of compensation money available will rise depending on the claims - tha Government will lend AOT the money as it is a profit making organisation now!

magpie3

• 1 month later...

Update:

AOT spends Bt66 million to compensate for noise pollution

Airports of Thailand has paid out a total of Bt66 million to buy four land plots near Suvarnabhumi Airport from the owners who have complained of the noise pollution after the airport opening in September.

The compensation is based on the appraisals from independent appraiser SD Con Corp, which is in charge of inspecting 129 structures built before 2001, said Surathat Suthammanas, deputy director of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

He said that the owners of the structures in problems can be put in five categories. First, those who agree to sell their land to AOT unconditionally, accounting for 4 persons who own a combined land of 4 rai. These four signed the deal yesterday for the Bt66 million compensation. Second, house owners who asked for AOT's assistance in reducing noise effects, with the estimated budget of Bt9 million. Third, owners who opposed the proposed purchase and the conflicts with this group would be handled in court. Fourth, land owners who want to sell the entire land plots, though AOT prefers buying only the affected areas. Fifth, the owners who have not identified themselves.

Surathat said that AOT would rush solving the conflicts in the second round of negotiation and that if the round ends without result, the issue would be proceeded to court.

Source: The Nation - 17 May 2007

Correct me if I am wrong but there's a couple of lines in the above which jump out at me.

1. This new airport has been 30 years in the planning before it opened. On what date was the actual decision to locate Suvarnabhumi Airport made?

2. How many of the 71 families mentioned above built or moved into homes after the date above in Point 1? Will they share the 390 billion baht?

3. When I arrive in Bangkok, I stay at what is advertised as THE CLOSEST GUESTHOUSE NEAR THE NEW BANGKOK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT ... no problem with noise - especially after 11pm.

I have no sympathy for people who decide to build or buy property after an airport is announced.

Peter

Edit: Type & spelling.

Edited by peter991

How can this be done? Stop planes using the airport? Ask the captain to whisper? Supply ear plugs to families affected?

Very little of that money will be used for its purpose. We all know that. Thais know that.

What strikes me as odd is the fact they can rev their cars outside apartments, do karaoke until all hours at ear spliting volume, keep a dozen strays to bark all night and blast your eardrums at every BTS station and nothing is said. But the whooh of an airplane over head is something to shout about.

Daft!

Measures to calculate the amount of compensation at new airport to be finalized today

The Airport of Thailand (AoT) expects that the standard used in calculating the amount of compensation for those affected by Suvarnabhumi Airport’s noise pollution will be concluded today.

The acting President of the AoT, Mrs. Kulya Pakakrong (กัลยา ผกากรอง), informs that the AoT today has proposed the standard to the Committee operating Suvarnabhumin Airport and Don Muang Airport for consideration. AoT compensation reportedly excludes the cost of depreciation of buildings. However, residents have expressed disagreements as they want the AoT to pay them the full amount. They say the compensation must include depreciating cost and marketing margin.

People’s request will be proposed to the Committee’s meeting chaired by Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont for consideration as well.

AoT acting President affirms AoT is willing to pay compensation for those really affected by the operation; however, it must be fair for both AoT and the people.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 May 2007

FWIW, on my landing earlier today 'Bangkok Approach' had us "continue approach at 4,000 feet until DME for noise abatement", then we were told to descend to 2,000 feet. This was a landing on 19R, so from the north to the south.

The pic attached shows a relatve new "noise contour" found on a www.envi-suvarnabhumi.com

The satellite pic taken as background seems tobe quiete new too. It shows some parts of the new Industrial Ring Road

post-10841-1179926644_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jai Dee

Regarding method of assessing compensation.

I assume depreciation refers to the value of the buildings?

If so, excluding depreciation would improve the offer !?

So why would those selling their land/buildings object or have I missed the point?

Update regarding my own situation described earlier in this topic - house at the north west corner of the airport.

Details have now been requested by an AOT representative, to include the valuation as seen by us.

We have taken the line that the whole village has taken and submitted this on the form.

Can anyone see the new AOT Board of directors coming to a conclusion this year?

Even if so, money is unlikely to change hands anytime soon.

The fact that AOT is supposed to be making profits means it can borrow to pay the compensation - NOW!

The fact that valuation and payment should have been made after the Environmental Impact Assessment and before the airport opened, is not lost on anyone. Talk about sharp practice, and who is around to protect the victims? Certainly not the government or payments would have been sorted by now.

No doubt Taksin will be blamed for it all.

Magpie3

• 1 month later...

AoT to consider compensation for residents affected by noise pollution on August 16th

Vice President of the Airports of Thailand Plc. (AoT), Suratas Suthammanas (สุรทัศน์ สุธรรมนัส), reveals that he will request the AoT board to consider compensation for residents affected by noise pollution of the Suvarnabhumi Airport on August 16th.

The residents will be compensated to renovate their houses to lessen the severity of the noise from aircrafts. Some of the houses which cannot be adjusted will be purchased by AoT. However, the compensation will only be granted to those who actually live in the houses built before 2001.

Aerial photographs show that 873 houses are affected by the noise.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 August 2007

• 3 weeks later...

MoT expedite aid for communities affected by Suvarnabhumi Airport noise pollution

The Ministry of Transport and relevant agencies are expediting assistance for communities affected by noise output from aircraft operations at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Permanent Secretary of Transport Chaisawas Kittipornpaiboon (ชัยสวัสดิ์ กิตติพรไพบูลย์ ) met with local residents of Suvarnabhumi Airport to negotiate on noise pollution compensation payment as mandated by the Airport of Thailand company in June. Communities who experience noise levels greater than 40 NEF will be compensated.

Meanwhile the Deputy Director General of the Department of Civil Aviation, Mr. Prasong Theanthanu (ประสงค์ เธียรธนู ), said that if 32 villages affected by noise pollution around Suvarnabhumi Airport act upon their threat of releasing balloons to obstruct air traffic on September 7, they may cause aircrafts to crash and will be held liable for their actions.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 September 2007

About the airport itself.

Lots of bitches from the surrounding residents about hearing problems, sleepless nights everything you can think of.

Correct me if I am wrong. It took them 40 yeas to build this airport in a swamp called Cobra or some snake pit.

Very reminiscent of the time in the 40's when the only airport serving New York City was La Guardia, because the residents complained about having larger and larger airplanes with more noise utilizing the airfield.

The powers to be at the time decided to built it as far away from NYC as possible, also in a swamp area known as Jamaica. Nothing there but a few seagulls.

The first commercial flights began on

July 1, 1948. The airport, originally dedicated as "New York International Airport" on July 31, 1948, was renamed Idlewild Airport in December 1948 because of its link to the Idlewild Golf Course. The golf course acquired its name from an old Indian name for the area – "Idalwilde" – or peaceful and savage. Idlewild Airport was renamed in December 1963, in memory of President John F. Kennedy. It was rededicated on December 24, 1963, as

John F. Kennedy International Airport, following action of the Mayor

and Council of the City of New York and a resolution of the Commissioners of the Port Authority.

Soon people began to build houses all around the airport, until the "Jets" came. Yes the first turbo jets of the B707, DC8 and other vintages were noisy, smoke belching monsters, but that was the technology of the day. The neighbors started to complain about the noise. Well, you knew you were buying a house near the airport, so shut up, was the answer from the authorities.

Then came the Fan-jets, the kind in use today which really are like shrouded propeller blades, who are 10 times quieter than even the old piston jobs, like DC 7 Bs and Lockheed Super-Constellations of yore.

The Concorde began commercial service in the mid 1970's, flown by British Airways and Air France and was originally banned from using JFK. But under pressure the management consented to a test flight to KJFK in order to evaluate the noise impact it would make. It was well advertised in the media.

Now here is where I come in. On the day in question, I don't remember the exact date, I happened to be at the airport's PONYA operations to await the arrival of the SST which was to be around 13:00 LT (I think) doesn't matter because when it came close to the ETA, operations was informed that because of a fuel shortage the airplane was diverted to Boston, Massachusetts. Meanwhile JFK traffic arrived and departed as usual. At precisely 13:05 the phones kept ringing off the hook, complaining about the horrible noise the Concorde made, even though it never arrived there.

Same same, as the Thais say.

PS: I had met several of the Concord crew back then, received the Cook's tour of the machine, envious because I was pushing 40 already never being allowed to fly something like that.

I remember the first time I met the flight-crew perusing the SID (Standard Instrument Departure) of 31 L which they knew by heart having departed JFK many times in 707s, but this was the "noise abatement" procedure written specifically for the SST, a very complicated time and fuel consuming procedure. Many times, when en route to Florida, did I hear the Concorde crew who departed Miami, beg for clearance to climb and accelerate. The beast consumed huge amounts of fuel at low altitudes.

"Lots of bitches from the surrounding residents about hearing problems, sleepless nights everything you can think of."

"Lots of bitches from the surrounding residents about hearing problems, sleepless nights everything you can think of."

Found the information very interesting about the airport and the run up to noise problems for the locals.

A number of points about the Survarnabhumi Project - some from what I have been told by family;

The locals were moved off the (swamp) land at least once and compensated at least once by various governments, in order to free the land for development.No-one believed it would ever be carried out - 25 - 30 years later enter Thaksin and exit rational, professional, project financial management (get it done whatever the cost; Thailand has to be a major player in the travel market.)

20 years ago few if any locals had access to flight path details or noise corridor information, or even the extent of the airport.

But any up to date Environmental Impact Assessment must have identified houses at risk enabling the Project Management team to avoid the post developmental problems being experienced now. The decision to ignore the information and 'fight fires' after the opening of the airport can only have been made for financial imperatives - wait until operations produce an income then 'hard nose' negotiate a settlement that is paid from income rather than capital. [And if income is too low - increase the airport tax!]

Their company image must have taken a hit by adopting this attitude, both locally an internationally.

Noise corridors identified on the pictures supplied by rstone (in this topic) place us adjacent to the green band, not even directly under the flight path although pretty close to it. However, I believe regular visits from the A380 and 747's would inevitably produce structural damage to the house - and more importantly, to us. This said from first hand experience.

I have let go of the negative emotions regarding the impact on us, our family and our retirement home. I just want us out of there but not at any cost. And keeping quiet is no way to get any response from a company (AOT) that is unable to provide even basic respect for the needs of individuals whose lives continue to be blighted by their 'cash cow', Suvarnabhumi Airport.

We have had not one piece of paper come through the door from AOT in 20 years of having the house built. Thai SOP or just ignorance?

So I have no hesitation in supporting the bitching, which will hopefully avoid those effected becoming doormats or victims.

When AOT says 'Mai mee ngun' I just have to laugh. They have an income, they should start meeting their obligations.

Magpie3

Cabinet approves Bt174.77 million to help people affected by airport noise pollution

The Cabinet Tuesday approved a budget of Bt174. 77 million for providing alleviation for people affected by noise pollution at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

The Cabinet also asked the Airport of Thailand Plc to make a preparation for expanding the Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The AOT was asked to submit the expansion plan to the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) for evaluation.

Source: The Nation - 12 September 2007

• 2 weeks later...

Transport Minister admits concern over noise pollution at Suvarnabhumi Airport

The Minister of Transport admits that he is concerned over noise pollution in the vicintiy of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Transport Minister Admiral Thira Haocharoen (ธีระ ห้าวเจริญ ) gave a B level grade for overall operations at Suvarnabhumi Airport during the past year. Admiral Thira admits that he remains concerned over noise pollution for local residents living in the vicinity of the airport and is currently instructing all relevant agencies to create solutions promptly. Officials will also be creating understanding amongst affected residents. Reimbursement for noise pollution victims is also being expedited by the Airport of Thailand company. The Transport Minster affirms that a fair reimbursement sum will be provided to local residents.

The Minister of Transport added that phase 2 expansions of Suvarnabhumi Airport facilities are being considered by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Officials must determine the feasibility of expanding Suvarnabhumi Airport as compared to continued usage of Don Muang Airport in addition to passenger loads at both airports.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 September 2007

Peter991, that guesthouse states that it's 20 minutes away from the airport, which is hardly close! In any case, aircraft noise pollution is very localised and if you are located away from the flightpath, then you can hardly hear the planes. In Phuket, my hotel is located only 600 metres away from the airport, but off on one side of the flightpath. So the aircraft noise is minimal.

Simon