Case closed with no charges over fire that killed 17 children in northern Thailand

webfact

Case closed with no charges over fire that killed 17 children
By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

cr.jpg
Deputy Minister of Education Surachet Chaiwong consoles a survivor of the fire on May 25 at a hospital in Chiang Rai province

CHIANG RAI — Police said today no one will face criminal charges for the blaze that killed 17 schoolgirls at a charity-run boarding school in northern Thailand last month.

The fire has been ruled as an unpreventable accident by investigators, despite the fact the Pitakkiat Wittaya School had no smoke detectors or fire alarms in the dormitory, and no adult staff were present when the fire broke out just before midnight on May 22.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2016/06/23/case-closed-no-charges-fire-killed-17-children/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-06-24

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, so what they're actually saying is the influential person responsible is not going to be charged...

Do you think he placed the wiring himself? And the electricians also can't be blamed because they don't have certifications. And nope, Thailand doesn't need good electricians or special schools to train them.

An ' unpreventable accident ' and that's that ?

It seems there were breaches of various building and safety codes etc but no one can be held responsible !

This would be hysterical if it wasn't so serious and typifies LoS in action, or actually inaction yet no one at the top seems bothered by this type of ridiculous nonsense.

Usually, they find some lowly person to hang the blame on him, but this time, not even that,

the authorities has ruled it to be an accident, and that's is that, 17 live wasted for nothing.. what recourse have the families now to ask for compensations?......

Right, so what they're actually saying is the influential person responsible is not going to be charged...

Do you think he placed the wiring himself? And the electricians also can't be blamed because they don't have certifications. And nope, Thailand doesn't need good electricians or special schools to train them.

What Bluespunk said...

Mind boggling and heartless.

They actually gave me some hope the way they were talking up their now supposedly meticulous investigation that the owners and admin would be held accountable for complete lack of duty of care.

Now even the press were barred from the announcement which just begs the questions why did this investigation wrap up so quickly?

No amount of compensation can replace the children but somebody must held accountable and I just hope they can get someone of note to give them a voice.

Something really really stinks with this cover up!

Edited by The stuttering parrot

How pathetic. I hope the 17 parents or relatives can sue these idiots. coffee1.gif

Let's hope some socially conscious lawyers get into this on a pro bono basis to help the families as they can't expect anything from other quarters.

Jesus christ this is abominable to a ridiculous level, even for here, 17 children dead and not even an attempt to justify the reasoning for the causes or even an attempt to think critically about what happened. Saying something "doesn't matter" purely on the chief of police's say so isn't acceptable anywhere. I hope the relatives challenge this BS and get some support to get a more professional agency to investigate (difficult I know is such a place as this).

These lovely children and their families deserve much much better than this. So sad

"As for the absence of basic safety equipment such as smoke detectors and alarms, Maj. Gen. Thanayin said it didn’t matter.

“That has nothing to do with it. That has nothing to do with it,” he said. “It’s not related. In terms of a criminal investigation, it’s over.” - as he drove off in his new Camry?

What a load of rubbish. It was preventable and should never have happened. Incompetent contractors and inspectors who have no idea and want to do nothing but get paid.

Scandalous decision by any standards. The people responsible should be ashamed of themselves

How pathetic. I hope the 17 parents or relatives can sue these idiots. coffee1.gif

Let's hope some socially conscious lawyers get into this on a pro bono basis to help the families as they can't expect anything from other quarters.

I doubt if there is any chance of that happening. Like the people they are greedy and just look at how much money they can skim out of it. Pro Bono is a dirty word to the lawyers so dont hold your breath for any action from them.

Why were the doors locked and why was there no supervision. Whoever locked the doors should be charged and the school should be held accountable for no smoke or fire alarms and no supervision in dorm at night.

Those responsible for locking the doors from the outside and not allowing those inside the means of unlocking them are culpable for the deaths that occurred and should stand trial.

Yea in a civilized country where there is rule of law, but this is LOS = Lack of Sanctions/ Land of Scams so.... just another day. BEWARE.

Christian school teaching hill tribe children. If it had been a Buddhist school teaching Thais the outcome might be totally different.

If the people making these stupid conclusions were Buddhists then a full and thorough investigation would take place. But as they are only token Buddhists nothing happens.

I agree Kid; that would be exceptional. Do you think this will occur? My vote is it WILL NOT. I think in my home country there would be "vigilantes" gearing up.

The fire has been ruled as an unpreventable accident by investigators, despite the fact the Pitakkiat Wittaya School had no smoke detectors or fire alarms in the dormitory, and no adult staff were present when the fire broke out just before midnight on May 22.

In other words, the police ruled that criminal negligence is an act of god. Since the police itself is a criminally negligent institution, this means they ruled themselves to be godlike beings. And a very fast investigation, as behooves demigods. bah.gif

This is so wrong decision that there is no words to describe it. Guilty and /or responsible: school director, dormitory supervisor, person in charge during night, school builder, fire department inspector, board of education director, minister of education, inspector for accepting dormitory as fit for inhabitation. This terrible tragedy shows Thai society indifference and lack of pity to tragedy, and shows how this tragedy is putting thailand as a backward country with its people as primitive - heartless - with no justice - no common sense - far away from any democratic tendencies - locked in their small world of money making with no regards to anything not connected to them personally.

Full action lawsuit could only uncover the guilties. I hope some Thai lawyer with heart and good connections take/start the case. Otherwise all will this same. We should do some good by sending our comments worldwide. Good advertisement for this country of no justice for innocent children.