First results in UK's historic referendum on EU membership

webfact

An interesting aside here from the Daily Mail, not my usual read but occasionally it offers up something of value, this time coming from Google.

It seems the search term, " what happens if we leave the Eu", was seen to spike at a high level, AFTER the polls had closed whereas use of the term before voting day or whilst the polls were open was only very slight.

The obvious conclusion to be drawn from the above is that few people bothered to research the matter before voting, but after voting for Brexit they decided to see what the impact of their decisions might be.

So, lots of deep analysis and thought by Brexiteers about which way to vote, but at the wrong point in the process, what more needs to be said! facepalm.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3657997/Britain-s-Google-searches-hint-people-didn-t-know-voting-for.html

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting aside here from the Daily Mail, not my usual read but occasionally it offers up something of value, this time coming from Google.

It seems the search term, " what happens if we leave the Eu", was seen to spike at a high level, AFTER the polls had closed whereas use of the term before voting day or whilst the polls were open was only very slight.

The obvious conclusion to be drawn from the above is that few people bothered to research the matter before voting, but after voting for Brexit they decided to see what the impact of their decisions might be.

So, lots of deep analysis and thought by Brexiteers about which way to vote, but at the wrong point in the process, what more needs to be said! facepalm.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3657997/Britain-s-Google-searches-hint-people-didn-t-know-voting-for.html

Perhaps it was investors and bankers checking it out whistling.gif ?

16 & 17 year old teenagers protesting Parliament Square saying they want to vote Remain.

Tough.

You are too young to vote and the House of Lords said you could not vote either. You have to live with the decisions your elders have made for you with regard to the E.U.

Yes possibly, although most investors and bankers tend to educate themselves before the vent, in order to be able to make the right decisions and to understand their plan B, long before it's needed - the media is reporting several stories about voters who now regret voting the way they did with lines such as, " I never thought my vote would make a difference". But that's all in the past so time to move on.

cheesy.gif at the BBC.

They still insist the great unwashed and uneducated got it wrong by voting for BREXIT.

I see they have also 'found' some voters who voted for BREXIT now saying they were fooled into doing so and now regret their decisions. This stinks of a typical BBC 'fit up' to me.

But, if they are regretting their vote, maybe they should not be allowed to vote in the first instance.

cheesy.gif also at Londonistan and the Twits (Twitters) talking alongside the Scots for independence and being part of the E.U.

You cannot make this sort of thing up. What a sad bunch of losers for even thinking such a thing could happen. Then again, with barely a white face to be seen in London these days and there being so many <deleted> bankers and such living there who are so out of touch with the U.K. mood, it is not surprising some feel they can have independence from the U.K. - Idiots !! rolleyes.gif

I have been having great fun reading about how sad and tearful the remain side are today. Bless them laugh.png

Or it could mean all the voters that thought they couldn't lose, suddenly needed a rethink.

Your conclusions are deeply flawed.

Anyway, you live in Thailand, it isn't your business what England does any more.

Or it could mean all the voters that thought they couldn't lose, suddenly needed a rethink.

Anyway, you live in Thailand, it isn't your business what England does any more.

Except if you are in the process of seeing your standard of living drop because of the GBP losing it's luster....

"Anyway, you live in Thailand, it isn't your business what England does any more".

Talking about deeply flawed conclusions, did I give up my UK passport when I moved here, loose my right of UK abode, stop paying UK taxes, loose my UK based family and friends, give up my UK based income, assets and investments, did I forgo my UK voting privileges and was the memory of many years of living in the UK suddenly erased? No, I thought perhaps not!

And back to Google for a moment: your logic doesn't pass muster since voter sentiment didn't turn negative until well after midnight, Sterling value had increased substantially up until then, beyond the time when use of the search term had peaked, Googles analysis and conclusions are therefore most probable.

Talking about deeply flawed conclusions, did I give up my UK passport when I moved here, loose my right of UK abode, stop paying UK taxes, loose my UK based family and friends, give up my UK based income, assets and investments, did I forgo my UK voting privileges and was the memory of many years of living in the UK suddenly erased? No, I thought perhaps not!

You probably would have given up your UK passport if Thailand had given you a choice.

As it is, you just gave up your right to pension increases and use of the NHS.

When did you last live in the UK?

Except if you are in the process of seeing your standard of living drop because of the GBP losing it's luster....

I calculate that many expats will have made an opportunistic profit (in GBP terms) on the vote, by holding THB, those of us who dared to defy the long standing TVF rule of not investing in Thailand nor bringing in more money than we can afford to loose - ditto the Pounds drop in value against USD also means our US based pensions and some investments have seen a boost.

You probably would have given up your UK passport if Thailand had given you a choice.

As it is, you just gave up your right to pension increases and use of the NHS.

When did you last live in the UK?

I have had the opportunity to give up my UK passport on a number of occasions for ones issued by the US and by other countries, having declined to do so I would certainly not be willing to give it up for a Thai passport.

And actually no, I haven't given up my right to free use of the NHS which remains available to me from the very first day, if and when I decided to return on a permanent and settled basis.

And you last lived in the UK?

Why do you need to know, why is it relevant, are there certain privileges and rights that expire after being overseas for a certain time or is it that expat opinions become invalid and worthless after so many years?

And you last lived in the UK?

Why do you need to know, why is it relevant, are there certain privileges and rights that expire after being overseas for a certain time or is it that expat opinions become invalid and worthless after so many years?

There's one after being 15 years out the UK. biggrin.png

"Anyway, you live in Thailand, it isn't your business what England does any more".

And back to Google for a moment: your logic doesn't pass muster since voter sentiment didn't turn negative until well after midnight, Sterling value had increased substantially up until then, beyond the time when use of the search term had peaked, Googles analysis and conclusions are therefore most probable.

While I do agree with many of the points you make. I would just like to point out a couple of facts that you may be aware off,and then again you may not.

Your UK voting privilege Will be taken away from you after you are non resident for 15yrs. In certain countries such as Thailand, your state pension will be frozen, you will not be able to take advantage of certain government financial products. Free medical treatment that you may require during a trip to see your relations. Your right to return to the Uk with your family will be restricted.There are of course other rights as a British citizen that will be taken away from you. And Yes" I do realise these are descrimanatory measure put in place not by the EU, but by the British government.

520 civilian jobs depend upon Faslane directly. Of course, it would be a tragedy for those individuals to lose their jobs, but the cost saving from not having to pay for Trident would be ploughed back into the economy and create many more than those lost.

Where will the money come from to pay the Scottish pensions, the Scottish health service, police and fire services?

Scotland has NO legal currency of its own as it uses GBP.

What will happen if England withdraws all its troops and its airforce? Just think how many jobs both directly and indirectly will be involved.

As for the North Sea oil, who actually owns it? Just because it comes ashore in Scotland it doesn't mean that they own it. The developments of North Sea oil was done by UK firms and the leases were sold by the UK government, NOT by the Scottish government.

If the leases were "sold" and they are in Scottish waters (200 mile economic zone) then the future revenue (royalties - which make up the bulk) would just transfer to Scotland since it would be their territory.

No matter what the scare tactics that are used this time they will fall flat just like the remain in England failed. The exit poles indicated that the majority backed independence given the status-quo but Scotland was made a bunch of promises (which have not been kept) and one of the big "scare" tactics is they would be out of the EU. If the EU (northern countries) remain in tact... the next referendum would likely succeed -- regardless of the scare tactics (or reality if you believe it) are employed.

Of course if Scotland left they would have to revert to using the Euro, which means the oil bought from Scotland by England would require an outflow of GBP which would also alter the demand/supply curve on the GBP thus likely making the GBP stabilize at an even lower exchange rate.

Perhaps you are making the same mistake as the SNP, in wrongly assuming that those Scottish voters who voted for remain,will naturally vote for separation. Also many of the SNP supporters in 2014 may now have noticed that the economic cornerstone of a separated Scotland,North Sea oil has now collapsed from it's dizzy heights of $110. Secondly while Brussels may look favourably on Scotland's application,in light of Scotland overwhelming vote for remain, as will some EU governments,others such as Spain will certainly not.

Yes possibly, although most investors and bankers tend to educate themselves before the vent, in order to be able to make the right decisions and to understand their plan B, long before it's needed - the media is reporting several stories about voters who now regret voting the way they did with lines such as, " I never thought my vote would make a difference". But that's all in the past so time to move on.

How quickly one forgets 2007/8

520 civilian jobs depend upon Faslane directly. Of course, it would be a tragedy for those individuals to lose their jobs, but the cost saving from not having to pay for Trident would be ploughed back into the economy and create many more than those lost.

Where will the money come from to pay the Scottish pensions, the Scottish health service, police and fire services?

Scotland has NO legal currency of its own as it uses GBP.

What will happen if England withdraws all its troops and its airforce? Just think how many jobs both directly and indirectly will be involved.

As for the North Sea oil, who actually owns it? Just because it comes ashore in Scotland it doesn't mean that they own it. The developments of North Sea oil was done by UK firms and the leases were sold by the UK government, NOT by the Scottish government.

Where does the money come from now for Scottish pensions, health and emergency services? Do you think that we contribute nothing to the exchequer?

If the UK breaks down, England has no legal currency either. Maybe we will just lay claim to it first then you can ask us nicely if you can use it. We are actually decent people so we will probably allow it.

Does England have a military? I thought it was the UK armed forces, paid for equally by all tax payers from all parts of the UK.

Mineral extraction rights are generally based upon the geographic location where the deposits lie. The bulk of the North Sea oil fields like in Scottish territory. It isn't even an argument - it is an indisputable fact that royalties and taxes for production from within Scottish waters would go to the Scottish exchequer.

If the leases were "sold" and they are in Scottish waters (200 mile economic zone) then the future revenue (royalties - which make up the bulk) would just transfer to Scotland since it would be their territory.

No matter what the scare tactics that are used this time they will fall flat just like the remain in England failed. The exit poles indicated that the majority backed independence given the status-quo but Scotland was made a bunch of promises (which have not been kept) and one of the big "scare" tactics is they would be out of the EU. If the EU (northern countries) remain in tact... the next referendum would likely succeed -- regardless of the scare tactics (or reality if you believe it) are employed.

Of course if Scotland left they would have to revert to using the Euro, which means the oil bought from Scotland by England would require an outflow of GBP which would also alter the demand/supply curve on the GBP thus likely making the GBP stabilize at an even lower exchange rate.

Perhaps you are making the same mistake as the SNP, in wrongly assuming that those Scottish voters who voted for remain,will naturally vote for separation. Also many of the SNP supporters in 2014 may now have noticed that the economic cornerstone of a separated Scotland,North Sea oil has now collapsed from it's dizzy heights of $110. Secondly while Brussels may look favourably on Scotland's application,in light of Scotland overwhelming vote for remain, as will some EU governments,others such as Spain will certainly not.

The Spain nonsense has been debunked so many times - I am sure that you are simply raising it again because you enjoyed Project Fear Mk2.

If Scotland was to issue leave the UK through a legally held referendum, Spain has confirmed it would have accept that. Their concern was specifically about a Unilateral Declaration of Independence, which they would not recognise.

Last week you were all over this board, decrying Project Fear and rallying people to take back control and stop being subservient to an alien, unelected government. Why is it ok for you to take that position but not for Scotland?

The Spain nonsense has been debunked so many times - I am sure that you are simply raising it again because you enjoyed Project Fear Mk2.

If Scotland was to issue leave the UK through a legally held referendum, Spain has confirmed it would have accept that. Their concern was specifically about a Unilateral Declaration of Independence, which they would not recognise.

Last week you were all over this board, decrying Project Fear and rallying people to take back control and stop being subservient to an alien, unelected government. Why is it ok for you to take that position but not for Scotland?

It all depends on what that fear is based on, as an example do not the people of Scotland send to parliament Scottish representatives who Can and Do decide on on the law of the land. In fact is it not true that Scottish M.P's vote on measure appertaining to England,yet that cannot be said regarding English,Nth Ireland and Welsh M.P's on certain Scottish issues. Is this the case in Brussels.

Perhaps you could provide a copy of the statement,where the Spanish government actually states they would have no concern regarding Scottish Separation. The same for certain other EU countries.

I noticed you did not argue my other two points,re not all of those that voted remain, will automatically vote for Separation,and then of course there is Oil. Let me add two more,will there be a EU in a few years time. If not, then yes the Scottish electorate will be truely able to vote for Independence. If that does occurr,then OK. The best of luck.

And then a new one.Ruth Davidson the leader of the Scottish Conservatives. Who I thought during the EU referendum debates,shone like a bright star,even though I did not agree with her. Will she not be more than a match for N. Sturgion.

While I do agree with many of the points you make. I would just like to point out a couple of facts that you may be aware off,and then again you may not.

Your UK voting privilege Will be taken away from you after you are non resident for 15yrs. In certain countries such as Thailand, your state pension will be frozen, you will not be able to take advantage of certain government financial products. Free medical treatment that you may require during a trip to see your relations. Your right to return to the Uk with your family will be restricted.There are of course other rights as a British citizen that will be taken away from you. And Yes" I do realise these are descrimanatory measure put in place not by the EU, but by the British government.

I'm well aware of those things, none of which impact me. The context of the above however is not about what I don't have but what I do have.

It all depends on what that fear is based on, as an example do not the people of Scotland send to parliament Scottish representatives who Can and Do decide on on the law of the land. In fact is it not true that Scottish M.P's vote on measure appertaining to England,yet that cannot be said regarding English,Nth Ireland and Welsh M.P's on certain Scottish issues. Is this the case in Brussels.

Perhaps you could provide a copy of the statement,where the Spanish government actually states they would have no concern regarding Scottish Separation. The same for certain other EU countries.

I noticed you did not argue my other two points,re not all of those that voted remain, will automatically vote for Separation,and then of course there is Oil. Let me add two more,will there be a EU in a few years time. If not, then yes the Scottish electorate will be truely able to vote for Independence. If that does occurr,then OK. The best of luck.

And then a new one.Ruth Davidson the leader of the Scottish Conservatives. Who I thought during the EU referendum debates,shone like a bright star,even though I did not agree with her. Will she not be more than a match for N. Sturgion.

And just when I thought that you and I were starting to get along after a rancorous 2014 ;)

I think that you are referring to fox hunting and Sunday trading? With regards the former, I am with Oscar Wilde on that one so make no apologies. If our MPs can prevent a return to an abomination, I applaud their intervention. Likewise, I would welcome English political intervention if the prospect of hunting was back on the table in Scotland. As for Sunday trading laws, I understand that this had the potential to impact Scottish law also, which was their justification for wading in. I am not sure I agree with their involvement so I make no attempt to defend it. It does, however, highlight the dissatisfactory situation we find ourselves in.

Does this suit you for Spain (my emphasis): "Spain’s veto seems unlikely. José Manuel García-Margallo, Spain’s foreign minister, declined to state that Spain would veto Scottish accession when invited to do so. Instead, the Spanish Government has taken the line that the cases of Catalonia and Scotland are fundamentally different because the UK’s constitutional setting permits referendums on secession while the current Spanish constitution enshrines the indivisibility of the Spanish state and establishes that national sovereignty belongs to all Spaniards."

Your point about remain voters not necessarily wanting independence - how would you suggest I tackle that. It is mere conjecture rather than fact, so short of me organising my own poll, I am at a loss on how to convince you differently.

Oil - our economy has slowed down, that is true, but it is still growing despite the slump in oil. Nobody wants the industry to suffer in this way, but the country is resiliant. I have said it before - we would cut our cloth accordingly.

I agree with you about Ruth Davidson. I think she is a breath of fresh air, and a welcome leader in the Scottish political scene. She will keep the SNP on their toes, I am sure. Once we get independence, I may even vote for her.

What a week!!

Brexit - a historic vote

AND

England beat the Aussies 3-0 at rugby in Australia. A whitewash. Also a historic win.

What could be next?

Can it get any better?

It will get better. On Monday the Pound will fall another 10% and UK debt downgraded to "juncker".

What a week!!

Brexit - a historic vote

AND

England beat the Aussies 3-0 at rugby in Australia. A whitewash. Also a historic win.

What could be next?

Can it get any better?

Absolutely, football on Tuesday, Iceland 3- 0 England

What's the worry about Scotland leaving England and wanted stay in EU they will have to pay the EU money not England.

English docks could given sub building contracts

Same goes again for comments by Sinn Fein Northern Ireland why would England give a hoot.

Another thing is English business could invest a lead in producing battery cars and do away with oil dependence.

The battery motorbikes running in the IOM TT are great too.

What's the worry about Scotland leaving England and wanted stay in EU they will have to pay the EU money not England.

English docks could given sub building contracts

Same goes again for comments by Sinn Fein Northern Ireland why would England give a hoot.

Another thing is English business could invest a lead in producing battery cars and do away with oil dependence.

The battery motorbikes running in the IOM TT are great too.

And what would generate the electricity which is sent across the grid (with an inherent loss of some electricity due to transmission) to charge that battery? Going to run on solar panels in "sunny old Britain"? The problem with renewables is that you still have to have backup for when nature is not cooperating. Battery technology is still in it's infancy (my UPS which is sizeable gets wiped out within minutes).

Archived