First results in UK's historic referendum on EU membership

webfact

Freedom is not free, but now you should be proud to have it back. The currency dropping is just a knee jerk reaction. It will come back up and a proud UK will make the UK strong again.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can Cameron and Osbourne stay on now.? They can't be trusted to negotiate an exit. Both of their positions are now untenable. Bye bye.

They are gone plus a few others i think....this vote is also a vote of no confidence in the current pm and various other pigs around the trough...

One Old Etonian goes, another one steps in.

The establishment will never be defeated.

I'm a Remain-er, but the democratic answer to the result is that Farage should take charge; perish the thought but who else is a real Leave-er?. Boris never ever really believed in Leave; his opportunistic volte face should not be trusted if you want real change!

French Government Will Hold Emergency Meeting

Ministers in the French government are to meet for an emergency meeting following the Brexit vote which will be chaired by President Francois Hollande at 8am UK time, the Elysee Palace said.

Panic mode or a call for your own referendum ?

Only way you are going to save your own political skin.

I only with this Great British Lady was still alive to see this day.

To those that are scared of the future of our Great country, and those fears are totally justified for you, there is a degree of uncertainty.

Remember how big a mess the country was before Lady Thatcher took over? She brought in huge changes that did hurt a lot of communities and people but the bigger picture was a far better country.

We have just voted to take that to the next level.

post-215174-0-83998400-1466750690_thumb.

Its a bit depressing though for those of us living in Thailand, as the exchange rate has gone from 51 (point something) first thing this a.m., to 47 (point something) now.

We chose to live here and know potential pit falls.

True in my way of thinking too, take 600 quid @ 51 = 30,600 @ 47 = 28,200 surely not the end a bowl noodles. laugh.png

It's a very sad day for the EU and for the UK too.

We're all, Europeans and Britons, going to pay a lot for this. Talk about durable recession in the region.

We all know that the Atlantic Ocean has always been much narrower than the Channel in the hearts of many Britons, but things don't work this way as they'll find out soon.

Anyway, your choice.

A sore looser in the camp, better to be OUT when EU collapses than IN. IMO. thumbsup.gif

Cameron to make a statement after the hour.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Various people you can trust on twitter seem to think it's him resigning.

Cannot see how he can remain.

He came back from Brussels with a load of baloney as a '' Deal ''

His bluff was called and he has to walk.

The European council president, Donald Tusk, has promised “wider reflection” on the future of the union in the wake of Britain’s vote to leave, but suggested that Brexit could make the union stronger.

There is that magic word again '' Could ''

I predict another 4 referendums before the end of 2017.

I'm 199% behind Turkey getting into the EU now. biggrin.png

I'm surprised the Swiss announcement they're withdrawing their longstanding application for EU membership and that "only a few lunatics would join the EU now" didn't send markets into a spin.

Congratulations to Scotland, for the upcoming future. Freeeeeeedoooooommmmm!!!

Not a chance. Jocks are not that stupid.

Can't afford it with oil in the toilet too.

What makes Scotland incapable of balancing its books while other nations can manage their finances? Of course we would need to cut our cloth to suit, but that is role of prudent governance. Don't forget, we would also see the removal of unnecessary burdens such as Trident and HS2 on the Scottish taxpayer.

Not to mention all the jobs that would go at Faslane and the dockyards.

As a leave supporter and sharing things with friends all around the world we should look at the bigger picture. Those that voted to remain are the Scots N. Irish who are both looking for their own independence or unity. With London and few luvvy boroughs and those populated with large immigrants, The rest of the UK it was a landslide.. Both sides off the political spectrum need to look at the map of voting below because they are not in touch with the working person. the unions big organisiations and banks also need to be accountable for their shameful bullying and threatening. a great day for the working UK person.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-live-results-and-analysis

If leave wins, will Europe close it borders for Brits?

Under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty there's a two year withdrawal period. Probably take longer.

Yes, but...

The great danger for Europe would be a contagion to other Euroseptiques countries like Sweden, Holland, Dannemark and even France.
For this reason she will do everything to sabotage any agreement or facility with the "deserter"
The result promises to be painful.

Really! Well I am reading this now knowing Britain are leaving.

Let me give you another perspective. Britain is the second largest economy in the EU behind Germany, the mount of money and people investing in the UK economy across the EU is vast. There are over 3 million non UK citizens living and working in the UK from EU member states and over 1.5 million Brits living within the EU. Britain IMPORTS over 30 billion USD across the EU every month,, if the EU took a firm stance and completely shut the doors on trading and movement then 3 million people go back home (nearly 1 million to Poland alone) and billions of dollars will not longer be landing in EU firms pockets.

Don't you think that this will have a buffer impact on creating Euroscepticism? Baically shutting the door without doing a deal that is right for all the economies? Isn't this what Europe is supposed to be about?

Emotion can not rule the decision making of the EU, it must be the right deal for EU member states and that includes ensuring that trade remains for the good of the EU member states economies.

This is a much more complicated and difficult scenario then you suggest and it won't be ruled by emotion.

Not a chance. Jocks are not that stupid.

Can't afford it with oil in the toilet too.

What makes Scotland incapable of balancing its books while other nations can manage their finances? Of course we would need to cut our cloth to suit, but that is role of prudent governance. Don't forget, we would also see the removal of unnecessary burdens such as Trident and HS2 on the Scottish taxpayer.

Not to mention all the jobs that would go at Faslane and the dockyards.

520 civilian jobs depend upon Faslane directly. Of course, it would be a tragedy for those individuals to lose their jobs, but the cost saving from not having to pay for Trident would be ploughed back into the economy and create many more than those lost.

Cameron announces he will resign as prime minister before the autumn

He has gone. Can't say I will be crying any tears over my celebrations tonight. Next Osborne!

Where are the dancing and party smileys.biggrin.png

Dancing and party smileys would be childish. In my eyes he had no option, it appears that he also accepted that and acted accordingly.

I take pleasure in the absence of a few extremely nasty posters from the thread, who are probably hiding their heads in shame.

On the bright side £ - Baht is now 1 - 52.04

Cameron announces he will resign as prime minister before the autumn

He has gone. Can't say I will be crying any tears over my celebrations tonight. Next Osborne!

Where are the dancing and party smileys.biggrin.png

Dancing and party smileys would be childish. In my eyes he had no option, it appears that he also accepted that and acted accordingly.

I take pleasure in the absence of a few extremely nasty posters from the thread, who are probably hiding their heads in shame.

On the bright side £ - Baht is now 1 - 52.04

You have your opinion and I mine, the smileys was tounge in cheek.. I have never liked the man and remember the promise of a referendum in 2009 which was broken. The man was and is out of touch with the common person. Just for the other side of politics. I expect Corbyn to also resign.

It's a very sad day for the EU and for the UK too.

We're all, Europeans and Britons, going to pay a lot for this. Talk about durable recession in the region.

We all know that the Atlantic Ocean has always been much narrower than the Channel in the hearts of many Britons, but things don't work this way as they'll find out soon.

Anyway, your choice.

Exactly, our choice.

You see we have had enough of being told how to live our lives, and being governed, by people we cannot vote out of office.

So WE have made our choice and WE will live with it. And if it means a weak Pound for a while so be it.

Regarding a country with the motto "The sun never sets on the British Empire"? 555

Don't be so silly - that ceased to be the case by about 1950 and well you know it.

But if you're talking about empires, in which powerful countries impose regimes on the less powerful perhaps you should take a long hard look at the way the EU has treated Greece and Italy for starters?

Cherio Brits, without your negative contribution the EU has now a lot more money to spend on countries in real need. No more rebates, farm subsidies etc. for leeches. Hurray.

Bye Erik clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Wonder if Erik is Greek ?

German I suspect.

Mark Carney

The capital requirements of our largest banks are now 10 times higher than before the financial crisis. The Bank of England has stress-tested those banks against scenarios far more severe than our country currently faces. As a result of these actions UK banks have raised over a £130bn of new capital and now have more than £600bn of high quality liquid assets. That substantial capital and huge liquidity gives banks the flexibility they need to continue to lend to UK businesses and households even during challenging times. Moreover as a backstop to support the functioning of the markets the Bank of England stands ready to provide more than £250bn of additional funds through its normal market operations. The Bank of England is also able to provide substantial liquidity in foreign currency if requires. We expect institutions to draw on this funding if and when appropriate.

This would appear to contradict the scaremongering of all the financial doom mongers.

A bonfire of excuses for MP's appear to be in order.

Archived