Anyone know if you do a day hike up Doi Chiang Dao without paying for pickups, porters etc.?

Mobi

A friend is planning to stay a couple of nights in Chiang Dao and wants to do the day hike up Doi Chiang Dao, by himself - without using a tour. He plans to get to the base by motorbike.

There seems to be conflicting reports on whether he needs a permit and if he has to pay for a porter/guide and in particular, does he have to pay for a pickup of around 1,200B to take him to the base, even if he has his own transport? Or does he just pay the 200B entrance fee?

I would be very grateful if someone can clarify this for me.

Thanks

Mobi

You might call The Nest in Chiang Dao for current info. Not sure the mountain is open for climbing in rainy season and in the past guides required.

Thanks - he is planning his trip for later this year. Nest seems to be one of the main places in town that organise tours to the mountain, so not sure if they will give me unbiased info. But maybe worth a try.

You might call The Nest in Chiang Dao for current info. Not sure the mountain is open for climbing in rainy season and in the past guides required.

Thanks - he is planning his trip for later this year. Nest seems to be one of the main places in town that organise tours to the mountain, so not sure if they will give me unbiased info. But maybe worth a try.

Theres a place there called Cave Bar. I believe they are on Facebook. You might try asking there.

Rgs

SM

Hey Mobi,if you do find out,please share the info...I'm curious myself...thanks

a couple of years ago I checked with the rangers offices. As I remember, you can't do it alone as it is considered un safe. You must register with them in advance as well, can't just show up. Can't remember if you must use the transport to the base.

I rode past the base (where the trail to the summit starts) last year at around 9:00. I was just out on a ride and not intending to hike up..

There was no one there who could have stopped me from hiking up.

I paid 20 Baht (Thai DL was accepted) at the check point for riding in on a Honda Wave

On my way back, around 10:30, a group of young Thais (parking their 2 pick-ups in the small parking area next to the road) were getting ready to hike up.

According to them it takes around 5 hrs. to reach the summit and one is advised to spend the night up there.

You need to bring your own equipment, water and food.

Lonely Planet quotes:

It actually makes for a really good day climb. It took me 8 hours return, including about half an hour at the summit and some shortish stops along the way to watch birds or take a sip of water. I guess hardcore climbers could shave off about an hour or so with fewer stops. 10 hours would probably be sufficient for people who prefer a more leisurely pace :-)

Logistically, it's easy. You need a permit to enter the national park. I got mine at the national park office, which is just up the road from Malee's Bungalows and Chiang Dao Nest, up a steep track on the right as you head towards the forest temple at the end of the road. When you buy your permit, tell them how long you want to use it for .... it costs 200 baht, usually in national parks this is the fee for a single entry but I requested 3 days on mine, and they gave me the 3 days without any additional charge. You also pay 30 baht for a motorbike, and no doubt there is a charge for a car too. I think that officially you need a guide to go to the summit, but I just explained that I was birding in the area (which is true) and the permit was issued with no further questions.

You can now also buy your permit at the checkpoint on the Muang Kong road (on the way to the trailhead). This checkpoint was unmanned at 6.15am this morning when I passed by, so if planning an early start it is probably best to get one from the park office in advance.

Access to the trailhead is straighforward enough, but you will need your own transport (motorbike or car). Heading west along the minor road from Chiang Dao/Chiang Dao Cave, there is a fork in the road just before Malee's and Chiang Dao Nest. The left fork leads to Malee's etc. Take the right fork. After exactly 2km, you reach the national park checkpoint. From here, continue uphill on the concrete road for another 8.2km. There is an obvious car parking area on the left with signs in Thai and a wooden shelter.

From the parking area, the trail to the summit is narrow but well-defined. It's mostly a steep climb for the first 45 minutes, then the trail levels out for some time, with only minor ascents and descents. You can't really go wrong with your route as there is mostly only one way to go. The only place where you must make a decision is at a new signpost (all in Thai) - at this point, turn left in the direction of the 3 arrows. 30 minutes after the sign, there's a steady - but not too steep - uphill climb to the camping area. From the camping area, you initially descend into a valley before climbing steeply through a forested limestone crag to the summit. The view from the top - on a sunny day like today - is spectacular.

I did the climb in sneakers which were adequate, although they got quite wet as for long sections of the trail you are brushing through tall grasses and bushes which in the early morning are laden with dew. Best wear shorts or quick-dry pants, as heavy pants will get very wet. After rain, the trail would be very muddy and slippery, especially the first 45 minutes of the climb. Hopefully we're into dry season now and the rain will become infrequent. Overall, it wouldn't be a particularly tough climb for anyone in good physical shape. Enjoy!

Edited by Beng

You definitely need a permit. They are not expensive. You get them from the Wildlife Sanctuary HQ by the temple.

You definitely can walk up alone without a guide. I have done it and camped on the top.

You will need transport (probably songthaew taxi) to get to the start point.

Unless you have infantry soldier fitness you are not going to walk up and down in a day. One day up, camp on top and back down the next. Or halfway up and back down in one day.

Alternatively drive to Den Ya Khat (25 kms up mountain unpaved road) which I have also done and then camp at 1700 (?) metres and plan your walks from there. Permit definitely required also here. Den Ya Khat is around the back of the mountain, the front being the main Chiang Mai - Fang Road.

Edited by Briggsy

He'd be a fool to try it without a guide; also to try to go up and down in one day, also to chance the misery of rain, cold, slick trails and plentiful leeches (not poison but annoying) in rainy season. There's a flat place on the top; guides will pack a tent and bring basic evening meal and breakfast. Cold at night, and even worse if there's wind. Take warm sleeping bag. Dew formed frozen puddles the night I spent there. Terrific views, especially at dawn.

Many thanks for all the replies - they are very useful.

Before I asked this question in this forum, I did do some extensive research on the net, including Lonely Planet, Travelfish, Rough guide, trip advisor and a few more - but found the information confusing and conflicting.

There seems to be little doubt that you have to pay the 200B entrance fee - unless you sneak in before they open. Whether or not you must pay for a guide (porter?) seems uncertain.

The TAT site says you must apply for a permit 6 weeks before you go there - which is clearly nonsense.

The main question is, do you have to pay for transport to the set-off point? Some people have said this costs 1,200B . Maybe this is a tourist scam. Can you use your own transport? Bike or car?

Transport to set-off point would probably start from 200 Baht. I am sure you could pay 1200 Baht if you wanted to but this is definitely in the realm of insane tourist prices. I parked my car in a nearby hill - tribe village and spotted them something like 200 Baht to park it there for 2 days / 1 night.

Don't forget your friend will need to be picked up when he gets down or he will be hanging around trying to angle a ride.

Alternatively rent a motorbike and just park it at the start point. The start point is on the only paved road so you cannot get lost.

There are 4x4 pickups that haul freight and folks to Muang Khong from Chiang Dao and rides in the back are cheap and entertaining. I have taken the ride up the hill and got off and walked the ridges down to Muang Khong, then took the truck back to CD a few days later after staying with the Puyai Ban. It is not standing on top of the Doi, but going where few folks tend to roam. There is a Karen village along the way once you drop down from the highlands, where you can also ask to stay. A long and pleasant walk with little required except rudimentary Thai language skills. ....Ken