Taxi Approach/technique.

ScottieD

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to propose this. I'll be a first timer to Thailand in January 2007, and I was just wondering peoples views on taxi approach and techniques.

Do you just hail a taxi, open the door, state destination and request for the meter to be switched on whilst standing at the door, or do you do this once seating in the cab?

What are the other ways tourists approach this trick situation?

All comments welcome?

Thanks for downunder.

ScottieD.

Well, while you're at it, we have a different approach here...Open the door, smsh the driver's face to the steering wheel and than threaten him until reaching the destination point where we quickly got off and make a run for it :o

Taxi's are not difficult to deal with here. Just open the door, state your destination (this might be a tough one if you're pronounciation is not clear enough). The only ripping off taxi drivers you will find will be at the airport or sometimes ( especially late at night) in some of the tourist spots.

Have fun in Bkk!!!

Edited by alexth

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to propose this. I'll be a first timer to Thailand in January 2007, and I was just wondering peoples views on taxi approach and techniques.

Do you just hail a taxi, open the door, state destination and request for the meter to be switched on whilst standing at the door, or do you do this once seating in the cab?

What are the other ways tourists approach this trick situation?

All comments welcome?

Thanks for downunder.

ScottieD.

Trick Situation !

If this potential situation gives you a headache ... Best you stay home ... Or come with your mummy :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Well, while you're at it, we have a different approach here...Open the door, smsh the driver's face to the steering wheel and than threaten him until reaching the destination point where we quickly got off and make a run for it :o

Taxi's are not difficult to deal with here. Just open the door, state your destination (this might be a tough one if you're pronounciation is not clear enough). The only ripping off taxi drivers you will find will be at the airport or sometimes ( especially late at night) in some of the tourist spots.

Have fun in Bkk!!!

Yer sure Alexth,

Come on please the guy will get ripped in the first 24hrs.

You'll hardly need to hail mate they be on you like a flys on shit.

1) Get a map off BKK know where your going.

2) Good taxes drivers will turn on the meter once your inside but sure check with the guy before you get in, "can you take me here, by meter"

3) "No this" if the deal is not working out don't do it change get another taxi, don't waste time trying to explain.

4) Sometimes you'll maybe have to go with a flat out rate, all the taxi drivers lock up areas in off peck times, well once your in that situation and after you have asked two or three taxis in a line, your like the rest of us mate. It's a pay or stay deal here.

5) You have the Tuk-Tuk boys or motorbike taxi available also, same deal ask how much then take off 75%, agree on a price, then put your life into there hands.

Or take a can or two of red bull before the ride and enjoy.

6) Toll bridges on the highways pay as you go if your using them.

7) Best for me is to use taxi drivers that will use there meter and have said to me that YES they know this area.

Trust me they will allways hit you up for more $$ in the end that's the normal welcome.

Do the best you can use your head your not downunder anymore once landed.

Have a Safe time.

C-sip

2) Good taxes drivers will turn on the meter once your inside but sure check with the guy before you get in, "can you take me here...

Are you implying a taxi driver can read a map? :o

2) Good taxes drivers will turn on the meter once your inside but sure check with the guy before you get in, "can you take me here...

Are you implying a taxi driver can read a map? :o

JetsetBkk

Know where your going it's very easy.

Maps are easy to buy from most book shops.

Are you implying bit?? have a think first please yes of cause he/she taxi driver can read a map.

There are some very good maps of BKK available which I have used in the past in the event of finding a shop etc...

It all helps dosen't it. The idea is not to walk around blind, or ask a Taxi to take you on a long treck around BKK.

C-sip

Never take a standing taxi, always hail a moving one.

I usually just ask for destination and jump in, every driver I've come accross turns on the meter.

Either you've been lucky, you speak perfect Thai, you've got a Thai GF to do the talking, or you don't get out much in Bangkok.

being ripped off in thailand actually isnt that bad. they may rob you of a few quid here and there apart from tuk tuks which i would agree a price on first.

as a rule stick to taxi meters and ask them to put the meter on or get out.

i am a tipper and i tip the honest guys big, the dishonest small. so the honest guys make more in the end. karma was mentioned in my post and i reckon its true.

putting our money into their economy is a good thing and all that.

you will enjoy thailand but a word of warning bargirls bite.

Edited by walg