So what did the Brexit supporters gain?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

You pick on my post, which highlights a typically unpleasant personal attack (on Bill) by a rabid remainer (who is absolutely determined to carry on arguing along old lines, even with you), to see your backside over uncivil forum behaviour? You're either confused of showboating.

I think it is you that is confused ... typically unpleasant personal attacks are your modus operandi ... :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Right on cue, after chiang mai's misplaced tantrum, we get more silliness from a remainer. Remainers can post all the feigned ignorance and insults/ridicule that they want. It's their comfort blanket :laugh:.

"Misplaced tantrum"? Another "typically unpleasant personal attack" from this thread's number one hypocrite! :cheesy:

On 9/23/2016 at 3:48 PM, Craig krup said:

I notice that Martin Schulz is at the LSE threatening that the parliament will veto any deal. Er, no. What does Article 50 say? It says "A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament."

The parliament licences the council to conclude, and the council then concludes by a qualified majority. You can't "conclude" anything if there's a further procedure. The member states have the power, and the big ones almost all of it. Germany (cars), France (food), and Spain, Greece and Portugal (holidays) rule. 

I was just reading the article on Sky about his comments. He seems quite confused to me. This one really tickled me:

"He said the EU would not "tell the Polish government, because of the German car producers, you have to accept that your citizens are citizens of a second class in the European Union". "

Err.....actually, Herr Schulz, Polish citizens would be exactly the same class as all other EU citizens in the eyes of brexit Britain.

And his prattling on about the importance of free movement is classic head-in-the-sand stuff. This issue is rapidly turning into a monster in the wealthier EU countries which is going to overwhelm sitting governments. Hasn't he noticed?

http://news.sky.com/story/schulzs-tough-talk-on-uk-visit-points-towards-hard-brexit-10590194

It appears that Monsieur Rolet is even more confused than Herr Schulz:

Spouting Nonsense - LSE Boss Rolet Says 100,000 Clearing Jobs At Risk From Brexit

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/09/24/spouting-nonsense-lse-boss-rolet-says-100000-clearing-jobs-at-risk-from-brexit/#1a1029e67945

By the way, Monsieur Rolet is a committed (and already discredited) member of Project Fear:

"Xavier Rolet believes the impact of a Brexit on the City would be "substantial" and "almost immediate" following the referendum. "

http://www.cityam.com/rolet

The grauniad.....bless :smile:.

"London, because of its high concentration of financial firms, saw the biggest drop in job posts since Brexit, the IPPR said."

"There has been 'an uncharacteristic downturn' in the number of financial job posts between May and August in the capital, according to research by the IPPR".

"Positions advertised by London firms dropped by 13.6%". "Outside the capital, job postings saw a 12.8% drop in the North East, an 11.4% fall in the North West and a 11.2% drop in Yorkshire and the Humber".

Claire McNeill, IPPR associate director said "as one of our largest sectors, the financial sector is vital to the wider wellbeing of the economy".

IPPR - Institute for Public Policy Research

Source: Daily Mail ... or should that be Brexit Supporting Daily Mail? :hit-the-fan:oops, finally reporting the truth now that the plebs have been conned!

On 9/23/2016 at 3:48 PM, Craig krup said:

I notice that Martin Schulz is at the LSE threatening that the parliament will veto any deal. Er, no. What does Article 50 say? It says "A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament."

The parliament licences the council to conclude, and the council then concludes by a qualified majority. You can't "conclude" anything if there's a further procedure. The member states have the power, and the big ones almost all of it. Germany (cars), France (food), and Spain, Greece and Portugal (holidays) rule. 

The QMV is a  bit of a  red herring, the EU always has operated a QMV in some guise or form but for certain areas the requirement for unanimity is maintained.Depending  on what areas is being negotiated will determine the voting process.

Initially what I personally think is that the negotiations will be narrow in scope with a further  agreement to conclude the withdrawal at a  future date.

All article 50 requires is to conclude arrangements for its withdrawal, not necessarily the withdrawal

I see some of the Remoaners are linking this to Brexit.

London Stock Exchange boss warns 100,000 jobs at risk from Brexit vote

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/23/100000-clearing-jobs-at-risk-from-brexit-vote-stock-exchange-chief

Try and read past the headline and deploy a bit of lateral thinking.

A small part of it will be due to Brexit but the biggest part will be down to the merger of the LSE and Deutsche Borse.

Any of the bitter remainers want to compile that very, very short list of mergers / takeovers that have not resulted in job losses.

I think some of the Remoaners should take a long hard look at the legal implications that this has in relation to Brexit.

The European Commission has ruled that a controversial EU-Canada free trade deal - CETA - cannot be renegotiated, despite much opposition in Europe.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37450742

A precedent has been set in relation to a free trade deal with no free movement of people.

This is going to bite the EU very hard on the @ss in the near future.

12 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

I think some of the Remoaners should take a long hard look at the legal implications that this has in relation to Brexit.

A precedent has been set in relation to a free trade deal with no free movement of people.

what would you do if Canada joined the EU???

I posted this on Friday.

On 9/23/2016 at 9:44 AM, SgtRock said:

The V4 are making making serious noises about the EU, they are only interested in the money that they are receiving from the EU, when that dry's up OR the EU force migrant quota's on them, the V4 will become a totally different animal.

With the EU weakened by Brexit – Britain’s upcoming exit from the union – many in central Europe believe now is the time to roll back the liberal immigration policies favored in Western Europe. As pressure builds, old political fault lines are re-emerging. The Visegrad Four – Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia – often supported by the Baltic nations, are increasingly confident and vocal. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/hungary-likely-to-reject-european-union-refugee-quota-a7327661.html

Cut funding and / or impose compulsory migrant quota's and :hit-the-fan:big time.

Just a matter of when as the EU are incapable of listening to anything that they do not agree with.

Edited by SgtRock
22 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

No precedent as been set, a free trade deal is not the same as a single market.

As for TTIP Philip Hammond as already stated he feels  it is a good template

8 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

No precedent as been set, a free trade deal is not the same as a single market.

As for TTIP Philip Hammond as already stated he feels  it is a good template

Yes, the single market that is a restrictive closed shop that is actually stifling growth and investment throughout the EU.

I will go with the free trade deal.

Why did you feel the need to bring in Hammond or TTIP ? Red herrings and deflection perhaps ?

Or were you upset that I did not respond to your alter ego ? Ignore list, Goodbye.

37 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

I posted this on Friday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/hungary-likely-to-reject-european-union-refugee-quota-a7327661.html

Cut funding and / or impose compulsory migrant quota's and :hit-the-fan:big time.

Just a matter of when as the EU are incapable of listening to anything that they do not agree with.

Han & Rock - peas in a pogrom - your concerns seem mainly Xenophobic or it it simply Teutophobia?...i don't really see any other rational in your prolific if rather blinkered postings. Whoops! forgot islamophobia too?

Edited by cumgranosalum
19 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

Han & Rock - peas in a pogrom - your concerns seem mainly Xenophobic or it it simply Teutophobia?...i don't really see any other rational in your prolific if rather blinkered postings. Whoops! forgot islamophobia too?

Sgt Bilko and his hypocrite mate will put you on their "ignore list" ... and then you'll be sorry! :cheesy:

21 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Why would I attribute one of the best known phrases about politics? What relevance does that have to the point being made, namely that popular politicians and popular policies can become unpopular very very quickly. At one time Blair was unbeatable, Cameron won an election the year before, and Nick Clegg was an overnight political star after he performed well in TV debates. That popularity reversed very quickly. 

If you don't understand the point, just say so! :crazy:

I am sure that when you make a point which IS understandable, relevant and on the topic at hand I will understand

To me at least you seem to have lost the thread, which is "what did the Brexit supporters gain?"

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am sure that when you make a point which IS understandable, relevant and on the topic at hand I will understand

To me at least you seem to have lost the thread, which is "what did the Brexit supporters gain?"

Thats easy ... nothing. They voted for low growth for lower immigration ... and for a £350 million injection per week in public services ... and amazing trade deals around the world ... whilst throwing away the biggest trade deal we already have. Phyrric victory ... they gained nothing of any value. I wonder what the imaginary £350 m per week will be spent on? 

But the excuses are getting in early ... Mark Carney, lazy business leaders, remainers talking down the country ... Liam Fox can't deliver but it's not his fault, it's other people? :drunk:

As for my original point, it was on George Osborne's views on hard Brexit ... off topic? I don't think so.

Edited by AlexRich
11 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Thats easy ... nothing. They voted for low growth for lower immigration ... and for a £350 million injection per week in public services ... and amazing trade deals around the world ... whilst throwing away the biggest trade deal we already have. Phyrric victory ... they gained nothing of any value. I wonder what the imaginary £350 m per week will be spent on? 

But the excuses are getting in early ... Mark Carney, lazy business leaders, remainers talking down the country ... Liam Fox can't deliver but it's not his fault, it's other people? :drunk:

As for my original point, it was on George Osborne's views on hard Brexit ... off topic? I don't think so.

Did you think that Brexit would be instant and that the UK would say to the EU, OK we have had enough. Goodbye.

Your original point may well have been on topic but that was a while ago.

Nobody cares about George Osborn any more. He is merely one of many bitter back bench MP's who thought that he knows better than the British public.

4 hours ago, SgtRock said:

I see some of the Remoaners are linking this to Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/23/100000-clearing-jobs-at-risk-from-brexit-vote-stock-exchange-chief

Try and read past the headline and deploy a bit of lateral thinking.

A small part of it will be due to Brexit but the biggest part will be down to the merger of the LSE and Deutsche Borse.

Any of the bitter remainers want to compile that very, very short list of mergers / takeovers that have not resulted in job losses.

Monsieur Rolet has been less than straight up about this. Read the analysis in Forbes that I linked earlier.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Did you think that Brexit would be instant and that the UK would say to the EU, OK we have had enough. Goodbye.

Nobody cares about George Osborn any more. He is merely one of many bitter back bench MP's who thought that he knows better than the British public.

Re. the emboldened part (my emboldening), I disagree insofar as its not that he just thought he knew better than the British public - he tried to BULLY them with his 'promised' budget that he would enact in the event of a brexit vote :bah:.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I reckon he's a good deal more knowledgeable than the 17m (52% voters) (not the entire British Public) misinformed and conned proportion of the population that voted along with the Little Englanders of the Daily Mail, Tory half wits and the racist UKIP. 

I suspect little George will be having the last laugh ... as will I. :guitar:

Oh, and my original point was on topic, if it went off it was because you took it there with your pointless diatribe about citation of quotes and your thoughts on Cameron, Clegg and Blair. 

Edited by AlexRich