retirement visa- renewal- out of the country

My retirement visa is due for renewal soon and I will likely be out of the country and return about a month or so after the due date. At the Airport will they give me a 15 day entry and then will I be able to process as usual the visa?

I assume you mean an extension of stay renewal.

• If you return after the extension has expired you'll be granted a 30 day visa exempt entry.
  • You can apply for the renewal within 30 days of it's expiry and as early as 45 days at some offices.
  • If you enter after it's expired it would be better to get a new non 'O' visa as one will be needed if you want to apply for a new extension.
  • If you use visa exemption to enter you can convert that to a non 'O' entry, but it involves two visits to immigration, possibly Bangkok, followed by a visit to your local office to apply for the extension.
Edited by elviajero

What province are you from? In some, like Chiang Mai, you can apply for your new extension up to 45 days early and not "lose days" since the new extension is dated from the date of expiration of the previous one.

Also, to do a conversion from a visa exempt entry in Chiang Mai, you need at least 21 days validity on your visa-exempt entry and you have to make an appointment to do the conversion, but currently they're booked for an appointment for conversion well into July. Past the 21 day window. Amazingly a visa agent can magically get you in to do a conversion right away! For a fee of at least 15,000 baht.

So, if you're from Chiang Mai province and can't obtain your extension before you go, it would be a good idea to apply for a new O visa in your home country before you return.

At the Airport will they give me a 15 day entry and then will I be able to process as usual the visa?

You're looking to renew your extension of stay, not a visa.

You should try to renew it before you leave Thailand. Most offices will allow you to renew 30 days early, some 45 days early. Make sure you get a new re-entry permit after you get the new extension.

If you do not renew the extension before it expires, you are back to starting all over again by getting a non-imm O visa before you return to Thailand and then applying for a new extension of stay in the last 30 days of the visa entry.

Converting a visa exempt entry to a non-imm O entry is a bit of a hassle. Since you'll be out of the country, you should try for a non-imm O visa at an embassy or consulate. For most passport holders eligible for a visa exempt entry, you'd get 30 days if entering via an airport.

Not all countries get a 30-day visa-waiver stamp on arrival at the airport, so just to be sure, what country's passport do you carry?

While you are traveling, if it's convenient tp apply for a Non-Immigrant O visa in another country (as suggested by Suradit69 above,) that let's you enter Thailand for 90-days and can eliminate a couple steps (possibly two trips to Immigrations in Bangkok) in converting a 30-day visa-waiver stamp to a retirement extension.

Not all countries get a 30-day visa-waiver stamp on arrival at the airport, so just to be sure, what country's passport do you carry?

The OP is Australian, therefore, qualifies and will receive 30 days at the airport (15 at a land border).

Another good reason for the OP to obtain a fresh non-O visa (if he needs one) while he is on his travels is that he risks being denied boarding his return flight to Thailand if relying on a 30-day stamp on arrival at BKK, unless he can show evidence of a confirmed flight booking out of Thailand within the 30-day period to the check-in assistant at the airport of origin.

• Like 2