21 Year Old American Woman Recovers in Bangkok Hospital after Being Stabbed by Mugger

rooster59

I hope she recovers quickly and learns some life skills .,

You've spelt you name wrong, the first part should spell ... 'Brain, or heart' ....what an absolutely pathetic comment............. Hope she gets well soon. Edited by Geztek

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Splitting image of my female friend's daughter who asked me if it would be safe for the pretty daughter to travel solo to Thailand after graduating high school (18 yrs.).

Having been traveling to Thailand since 92, lived and worked there for 10 years, I said no.

How many of you have actually been attacked yourself and how many just read in the newspaper how dangerous it is ? I know of no foreigners in my direct circle that have been attacked by Thais. I do know of Thais having been attacked by Thais. So I agree that its more rare for a foreigner to be attacked than a Thai. Sure there are news reports but bad news sells good news does not.

take a walk along beach road in Pattaya at about 2am and report back

don't kid yourself attacks like this happen weekly most go unreported for obvious reasons, I am aware of several in the last 4 weeks

I live in BKK don't often go to Pattaya, but I have been there a few times and I have walked on beach road around that time without problems. Now that does not say much and I don't deny that attacks happen (else there would not be any news articles about it). I just contest that its as bad and dangerous with Thais out there to go after foreigners as some make it out to be.

get an insurance IO of counting on good samaritans!

Where does it say she doesn't have insurance?

Fundraisers are just a convenient way for friends and family to offer support online from their computer, not sure why people freak out about them. It's not begging.

In this case apparently it's to cover the expenses of her mother going to see her.

The initial fundraising goal was only the price of a plane ticket:

https://www.gofundme.com/2a6ndt8b.

It doesn't say that she's got insurance, or not. But please read the story again and her statement that she won't have a salary for about one month?

I also believe that she doesn't have a Thai SS.

Like what, Brazilian jujitsu to fend off two men with knives?

either she gets her taxi to take her right to her room or hires a body guard, either way she has learned a lesson about LOS

Like what ? 30 million visitors and how many women stabbed in a violent robbery? I cant think of more than a handful last year. I guess the lessened learned is she was extremely unlucky considering the odds coffee1.gif

I am not saying everyone gets stabbed and I am not being that specific, every bag snatch jewelery theft has the potential to turn out like this, as it stated in the OP - she fought back and was attacked and stabbed

This was an snatch mugging on a foreigner - care to quote the stats on that one

the clear message here is don't fight back you may find yourself on the recieving end of a knife or a gun

How many of you have actually been attacked yourself and how many just read in the newspaper how dangerous it is ? I know of no foreigners in my direct circle that have been attacked by Thais. I do know of Thais having been attacked by Thais. So I agree that its more rare for a foreigner to be attacked than a Thai. Sure there are news reports but bad news sells good news does not.

don't kid yourself attacks like this happen weekly most go unreported for obvious reasons, I am aware of several in the last 4 weeks

I live in BKK don't often go to Pattaya, but I have been there a few times and I have walked on beach road around that time without problems. Now that does not say much and I don't deny that attacks happen (else there would not be any news articles about it). I just contest that its as bad and dangerous with Thais out there to go after foreigners as some make it out to be.

I have and always will have the utmost respect for your opinion and views my friend but the point is that only a fraction of these incidents are actually reported and not all them end up as attempted murder, see my other post above

it is also worth noting that this girl could easily have died, any stab wound to the chest area is extremely dangerous and is only luck that she was not fatally injured, this was attempted murder.

Edited by smedly

This woman is lucky to be alive after taking a knife to the lung.

Nice to read the police are taking this attack very seriously and pulling out the stops to apprehend the man.

I do not know any foreigners that have been assaulted by Thais, but my acquaintances stay out of the bar zones, mostly and don't get into pushing squabbles with drunk locals.

Neither do my work colleagues, yet a number of them have been robbed, threatened with knives and assaulted during robberies.

It happens.

Not just here, true, but it does happen.

I have and always will have the utmost respect for your opinion and views my friend but the point is that only a fraction of these incidents are actually reported and not all them end up as attempted murder, see my other post above

it is also worth noting that this girl could easily have died, any stab wound to the chest area is extremely dangerous and is only luck that she was not fatally injured, this was attempted murder.

what about rape? What terrible advice your giving here or is that some how different..

A knife or a gun would need to be produced before the attack before giving in to full submission. I guess some people are just weak

It doesn't say that she's got insurance, or not. But please read the story again and her statement that she won't have a salary for about one month?

If it doesn't say, and the gofundme isn't to cover her medical costs, shouldn't she be given the benefit of the doubt? And she's had access to an ICU, often they won't proceed without insurance cover.

Not all insurance companies covers loss of future salary, World Nomads doesn't.

If it doesn't say, and the gofundme isn't to cover her medical costs, shouldn't she be given the benefit of the doubt? And she's had access to an ICU, often they won't proceed without insurance cover.

Not all insurance companies covers loss of future salary, World Nomads doesn't.

Thai Social Security do, if you are regularly hired, WP etc...

TAT not there yet.

regards Worgeordie

You sure about that? The whole story sounds like it was written by TAT, this bit in particular

''She said it’s unusual for a foreigner to be attacked in Thailand, so the police have been highly involved in her case.

“All of my Thai friends were speechless when they heard the news, because they had never heard of such a terrible act of violence being carried out on a foreigner''

Maybe not this bit though

''she said she will miss about a month of work without pay.''

She must be busy teaching, and did not read the story about

the woman in Phuket that was stabbed by a mugger......

Hopefully she will not be charged with the crime of making

Thailand look bad by allowing herself to be stabbed..

This lady had just about made it home..Did not walk, did not use public transport, yet got mugged on the last leg of her journey between taxi & her room..so on paper she had minimised the risk-factor by a good %age.

Has the muggers on the m/bike seen her do this on a regular basis tho'..?

Is the walk from the taxi a dark/unlit one..?

I forgot to check for any info about her wounds..? But do wish her a speedy recovery, & hope mentally she's OK afterwards.

I hope she recovers without any problems, physical or mental after the attack.

I walked out the front gate of former condo on lat prao in Chatachuck 1 year ago, walking the 25 M to MRT station about 8 am on my way to work. I had no jewelry on, am 25 years older than her and probably much taller and weigh more.

I had a guy grab my arm with both his hands.don't know if he was going for my shoulder bag or what.Fortunately motorsi guy riding on sidewalk stopped him. Scared the shXt out of me. Decided to move to a more expensive safer neighborhood.

I hope she recovers without any problems, physical or mental after the attack.

I walked out the front gate of former condo on lat prao in Chatachuck 1 year ago, walking the 25 M to MRT station about 8 am on my way to work. I had no jewelry on, am 25 years older than her and probably much taller and weigh more.

I had a guy grab my arm with both his hands.don't know if he was going for my shoulder bag or what.Fortunately motorsi guy riding on sidewalk stopped him. Scared the shXt out of me. Decided to move to a more expensive safer neighborhood.

You've spelt you name wrong, the first part should spell ... 'Brain, or heart' ....what an absolutely pathetic comment............. Hope she gets well soon.

Exactly.

Talk about suffering from EDD (Empathy Deficit Disorder.)

Some people just can't seem to resist the compulsion to blame the victim whenever something like this happens.

"She said it’s unusual for a foreigner to be attacked in Thailand, so the police have been highly involved in her case" she should pay more attention to the news I guess... and also get an insurance IO of counting on good samaritans!

I hope for a fast recover.

Stories like this are happening more frequently than ever. im getting scared.

Well, there was that girl in Koh Tao, then another girl attacked in Chiang Mai while she slept night before last.

Granny and grandpa in Hua Hin, German guy in Pattaya stabbed by Thai girlfriend yesterday, to mention just a few.

Thai Visa seems to have an endless list of foreigners being attacked by Thais.

or jumping to their deaths

Dutch girl jumper in CM yesterday, German woman in Bangkok yesterday (is that the same one as the lawyers wife?)

or being killed by Thais driving cars

Chilean cyclist

Edited by MissAndry

Guess the Photographer couldn't read or interpret picture clues...

I didn't noticed it at first, but sins you mention it .....yeah....good observation !

That was one of the first things I noticed, along with the different patient name (I assume) on the headboard.

Ah youth......If I was stabbed by some lunatic Thai,

I would be angry beyond words. But maybe she is

a Buddhist, and realized that Buddha wanted her

to be stabbed. Sadly these attacks are becoming

more frequent, would be great if TV had a section

for them so we could see what was really going

on as far as violence against farangs.

"All of my Thai friends were speechless when they

heard the news, because they had never heard of

such a terrible act of violence being carried out on

a foreigner, particularly in my neighborhood, which

is known for being a quiet and safe business district,”