Acquiring a "certified copy" of my passport ?

Neeray, I'm guessing they are asking for a certified copy of your passport because you have not been introduced to the bank by an acceptable person.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Thailand does not have Notary Publics.

A copy can be 'certified' by anyone in authority with a stamp (they like stamps).

A solicitor, police officer or a doctor are all accepted to 'certify' a document in Thailand.

Alternatively, if you know someone who already banks at that branch (Thai or Foreigner) have them introduce you as a new customer and their shouldn't be any need to 'certify' anything. You may need proof of address.

Thank you Faz. I had my Thai fiancée with me to talk to the bank staff. She is a long standing customer with a healthy bank balance, but I think she was not forceful enough or maybe a bit timid. Thanks for your above input.

• Like 1

I needed a certified copy for another purpose on 2 separate occasions. I discovered that any Thai Notary can provide this. Not all law offices have a Notary so you may have to shop around.

Most banks require you to have either a work permit or long term visa (e.g. for retirement, marriage etc) BKK asked for my work permit but accepted my retirement visa. A certified copy of passport was not required.

The notary does not need to know you. They are certifying that the copy is a true copy of your passport only.

Edited by hugh2121

Neeray, I'm guessing they are asking for a certified copy of your passport because you have not been introduced to the bank by an acceptable person.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

A copy can be 'certified' by anyone in authority with a stamp (they like stamps).

A solicitor, police officer or a doctor are all accepted to 'certify' a document in Thailand.

Alternatively, if you know someone who already banks at that branch (Thai or Foreigner) have them introduce you as a new customer and their shouldn't be any need to 'certify' anything. You may need proof of address.

You are technically correct to say that Thailand does not have Notary Publics.

Thailand does have Notaries who can certify a passport copy.

I needed a certified copy for another purpose on 2 separate occasions. I discovered that any Thai Notary can provide this. Not all law offices have a Notary so you may have to shop around.

Most banks require you to have either a work permit or long term visa (e.g. for retirement, marriage etc) BKK asked for my work permit but accepted my retirement visa. A certified copy of passport was not required.

The notary does not need to know you. They are certifying that the copy is a true copy of your passport only.

Google, "Bank of Bangkok accounts for foreigners." Then go to a big Bank of Bangkok and open an account. It's never a problem except at small branches who don't know what to do. You hear a lot of reports on Thai Visa but the negative ones are generated by people who go to little branches who have no experience dealing with Farangs.

neeray - as you seem to travel a lot, try going to the Bangkok Bank in New York in the states. It's the same bank as in Thailand but with people who speak great English and the rules are different. Contact them online before making the trip just in case but I can't see an issue with a Canadian opening an account in the states.

neeray - as you seem to travel a lot, try going to the Bangkok Bank in New York in the states. It's the same bank as in Thailand but with people who speak great English and the rules are different. Contact them online before making the trip just in case but I can't see an issue with a Canadian opening an account in the states.

As far as know it is not possible to open an account at the branch in New York. See: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/InternationalNetwork/InternationalBranches/USA/pages/index.aspx

Thank you Faz. I had my Thai fiancée with me to talk to the bank staff. She is a long standing customer with a healthy bank balance, but I think she was not forceful enough or maybe a bit timid. Thanks for your above input.

It would appear then that you've spoken to a member of staff at BKK that doesn't know their own conditions for opening an account.

It's quite common for staff to be ill informed or poorly trained.

Another Thai will never confront them for fear of a loss of face, either for themselves or the staff member.

It also depends which type of account you try to open. Savings account with debit card is standard even for those with a Visa exempt entry.

A current account requires either a work permit or permanent residency status.

Go armed with a copy of conditions from their own website;

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for

a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit

card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide

is your passport and one other official identification document – for example,

a reference letter from your embassy,

your home bank or a person acceptable

to the bank.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

Savings Account

A savings account can be opened with a minimum deposit of 500Bt. Interest is calculated daily and will be credited to your account every six months. Accounts which become dormant with a balance below 2,000Bt will attract a monthly service charge.

When you open a savings account, you can opt to receive a handy Be1st Visa Debit card. You can use your card to withdraw cash, pay bills, or shop online or anywhere displaying the VISA_Logo.jpg sign.

The Be1st Visa Debit Smart card is the first debit card in Thailand to use the latest EMV chip technology to keep your cash secure! This card can be used at Bangkok Bank ATM’s showing the Be1st Smart identification and online or at stores showing the VISA_Logo.jpg sign.

Documents required for Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

1. Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the

relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension

funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following

• Embassy or international organization
      • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
      • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
      • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
      • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document

showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a

condominium

Thailand doesn't have Notaries, they have certain Lawyers who receive training to offer Notarial Services, but they are not registered Notaries.

http://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Thailand-Notary-Service.php

Thailand is not a signatory to the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, in some cases, parties who have engaged notarial services in Thailand may need to have the notarized document authenticated or legalized further at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, or at the Embassy of the country to which the document is to be presented.

Not to split hairs on a technicality, but Yes you can get certain foreign documents 'certified' that will be accepted in Thailand, but they do not have Notaries, such as we may know in our home Countries.

Much is being made of such a simple thing. The bank requires a signed photocopy. That's it.

I have accounts with many Thai banks, and authority to sign on company accounts for the business I work for, so I speak from experience.

• Like 1

Thailand doesn't have Notaries, they have certain Lawyers who receive training to offer Notarial Services, but they are not registered Notaries.

Thailand is not a signatory to the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, in some cases, parties who have engaged notarial services in Thailand may need to have the notarized document authenticated or legalized further at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, or at the Embassy of the country to which the document is to be presented.

Not to split hairs on a technicality, but Yes you can get certain foreign documents 'certified' that will be accepted in Thailand, but they do not have Notaries, such as we may know in our home Countries.

So why do I have a document certified with a stamp which states "Notarial Services of Thailand"? Sadly TV won't allow me to upload it.

So why do I have a document certified with a stamp which states "Notarial Services of Thailand"? Sadly TV won't allow me to upload it.

Probably because you paid 1,000 baht to someone who had the stamp made for 200 baht.

I have a stamp that says World's Best Boss. None of my staff seem to agree though.