Acquiring a "certified copy" of my passport ?

I am a Canadian who visits Chiang Mai several times a year on buying trips. I need to establish a Thai bank account. On my last trip, I visited a Bkk bank branch in CM. They said I needed a certified copy of my passport. I have researched this on ThaiVisa but do not see the answer that I need. It appears that certification takes place in Thailand. This seems strange to me because that notary public, lawyer, whoever, doesn't really know who I am.

Next, I do not have a Thai address, I stay in a hotel. My trips are always less than 30 days so I do not require a visa.

Any member input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Try other banks first some will some won'tyou will probably need a ccertificate of residence if your area does them on a visa exempt someone there will no dought post soon.

to get a certified copy Ibelive that happens in Bangkok iIwould if you go down tthat route use an agent probably a lot quicker and a whole lot easier.

Edited by jeab1980

The missing visa and address might be the problem. The passport problem is not an issue. Normally the bank copies the essential pages, you sign and they already have seen the original.

Try another bank. Kasikorn may be a good choice. Ask your hotel for a certificate of stay.

Edited by Aachen
  • Like 1

I also need this in Chiangmai and, however, I believe maybe a "certified copy" does not require a consulate or embassy visit. there is something else more simple, maybe. .

the form I am working with, for changing address with the TSD, as I do not trust my broker's timeliness for an upcoming shareholder invitation ***does*** mention going to an embassy or consulate for a certified copy ***but*** only for changing one's name... not merely a mailing address. for address changes merely a "certified copy" is specified implying there is such a thing similar to a notary public in the states... but is rarely needed so no one I know including Thais have any ideas where this is done.

so maybe there is still is a better answer to this.

if I find out I will still post it, but I wouldn't mind seeing an answer from someone who undertstands the whole skinny right now. I will also need a "revenue stamp". I usually luck out at the meetings in Bangkok and buy one at the check-in for it .. but it would cool to do it in Chiangmai at my leisure.... if only I knew where.

anyone know ????

Edited by maewang99

for the TSD the form would be posted, so there still seems to be another answer (because the TSD is in Bangkok, a sender cannot show them the original... a scan yes, but not the real thing). so it still seems to me there is another answer.... or this is another one of these Thai things that will never make any sense. but usually there is some kind of 'logic'.

mate, I had no problems opening a Bangkok bank account, passport/visa, proof of residency and my thai drivers licence were enough but I did have my wife with me. They photocopied everything and got me to sign the copies and it was done, took about 30 minutes or so.

certification/notarization of passport is done at your Embassy/Consulate and is needed at some government offices for issuing of certain documents, this may also require a translation of the certification...

That said, I have never heard of a non-government entity asking for something like that.

certification/notarization of passport is done at your Embassy/Consulate and is needed at some government offices for issuing of certain documents, this may also require a translation of the certification...

That said, I have never heard of a non-government entity asking for something like that.

I needed one to open a bank account in my country of birth. Needed another just for changing address. A law firm notary was accepted. British embassy charges about 3,000 baht.

Also consider asking your home bank (in Canada?) whether they have a partner bank in Thailand and can provide you with assistance opening an account in Thailand. I did this years ago in another country. Not sure if it is still possible.

Just do a Google search 'Notary Public Chiang Mai'.

I've just done it and there are quite a few - even the US Embassy there will do it for non-US citizens.

Rather than wasting your money on unnecessary quasi-legal procedures far better to spend it and your time/energy on getting a visa to enter the Kingdom and your quest for a bank account will be much easier.

I needed one to open a bank account in my country of birth. Needed another just for changing address. A law firm notary was accepted. British embassy charges about 3,000 baht.

I did this recently and I'm sure it was about half that cost.

Certified and notarized is a different kettle of fish.

I needed "certified" translations to apply for a passport.

Translation on headed notepaper with a stamp "certified as a true translation" from a local translation service was all I needed to do.

When I needed a "notarized" copy of a marriage certificate I had to go to Embassy and MFA.

I opened a bank account with SCB with nothing more than my passport which at the time only had a visa exempt entry stamped into it. Mind you I also transferred 2 million baht from my Canada Trust bank into my SCB account which may have helped.

you must really have misunderstood "certified copy of passport" That could be needed if you have to send it but if someone needs a certfied copy they can make a copy themselfses and write on it that they made the copy.

So i expect a misunderstanding. And yes, find another bank. Be kind that helps too.

Hi, I had a bit of trouble with some banks here, trying to open an account, most not interested. I finally opened an account with KTB, no hassles. KTB is not a government regulated bank, farang friendly, make sure you find a branch with English speaking tellers, makes life a little easier. Good luck.

I just open an account with Bangkok bank last year with visa exempt entry.

They need only a certified true copy of passport,as I come once or twice

yearly and don't apply for visa.

I think it can only be done at your own embassy in Thailand.

By the way,I'm Singaporean.

Try other banks first some will some won'tyou will probably need a ccertificate of residence if your area does them on a visa exempt someone there will no dought post soon.

to get a certified copy Ibelive that happens in Bangkok iIwould if you go down tthat route use an agent probably a lot quicker and a whole lot easier.

I agree that different branches of even the same bank will have different answers, (Yes or No). I would never, ever, ever, use an agent to set up my bank account, even with a gun pointed at my head.

You don't need a certified copy. Go to

Kad Suan Kaew (Bangkok Bank PCL)
99/4 Moo 2, Huai Kaew Rd.
T. Suthep
A. Muang
Chiang Mai 50200
Thailand
They do a lot of business with Farang and know the drill. I opened 5 accounts in banks at Central mall there with no certified copies of anything.
  • Like 1

Thank you to all members who offered their valuable input. Member Scotwight seems to have given me the definitive answer. I will find out next week.

And thank you to TVF for being there with the vehicle.

I would just walk into a Thai police station and ask them to certify the copy by verifying the original passport, Banks will accept that.

The same as you need a police report for anything of importance that you have lost in Thailand and need to replace.

Neeray, I'm guessing they are asking for a certified copy of your passport because you have not been introduced to the bank by an acceptable person.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Thailand does not have Notary Publics.

A copy can be 'certified' by anyone in authority with a stamp (they like stamps).

A solicitor, police officer or a doctor are all accepted to 'certify' a document in Thailand.

Alternatively, if you know someone who already banks at that branch (Thai or Foreigner) have them introduce you as a new customer and their shouldn't be any need to 'certify' anything. You may need proof of address.

Neeray, I'm guessing they are asking for a certified copy of your passport because you have not been introduced to the bank by an acceptable person.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

A copy can be 'certified' by anyone in authority with a stamp (they like stamps).

A solicitor, police officer or a doctor are all accepted to 'certify' a document in Thailand.

Alternatively, if you know someone who already banks at that branch (Thai or Foreigner) have them introduce you as a new customer and their shouldn't be any need to 'certify' anything. You may need proof of address.

• Like 1

When you submit photocopies to Immigration you have to sign them.

Why?

Because you are "certifying" them as a true copy - Thai-style - self-certification.

That's all that's needed for a bank account - I've opened three at different branches/banks.