This Dude

I guess it's okay for older guys that have small 60-70k baht pensions.

Sometimes, if you work for a well organized school your immigration paperwork will be processed more efficiently and they (School) will deal with those interesting immigration official.

Sometimes, they want just something to do.. watching the grass grow has its limitation.

Sometimes, they still want to help out.

Sometimes, they want to get away from the house and the Thai wife.

Sometimes, they just want to be around people and really want something to do.

Sometimes, this is cheaper than spending your money on drinking, P tang, and whatever.

whistling.gif

sometimes, to enjoy life, you have to make more than 35k

Depends on what rocks your boat ?

How you enjoy your life may not be everybody's cup of tea and vice-versa.

Sometimes, if you work for a well organized school your immigration paperwork will be processed more efficiently and they (School) will deal with those interesting immigration official.

Sometimes, they want just something to do.. watching the grass grow has its limitation.

Sometimes, this is cheaper than spending your money on drinking, P tang, and whatever.

whistling.gif

sometimes, to enjoy life, you have to make more than 35k

Depends on what rocks your boat ?

How you enjoy your life may not be everybody's cup of tea and vice-versa.

True, but HOW to enjoy life is much more LIMITED on 35k if not non-existant

Start with simple pleasures, clean water, good health, and peace of mind. Type A thinking of course, more bucks equates more happiness?

Thus what is the purpose of spending X amount say at Vail for a ski vacation and you break your leg and hate the experience?

The Dude has it right, bowling... he abides..QED.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why everyone posting here knows nothing about the system here. If you are not a teacher, then why are you making comments about what teachers get paid and criticizing people?

Jobs just don't pay here. Frankly, he is lucky to get 30k. Most jobs now actually don't even hire white native speakers at 30k. They hire Filipinos for 18-20k. Jobs pay less now than they did 10 years ago.

People take lower salaries because that is what is offered and when a guy has to support his family that is what he takes. Most hope that with some experience or a teacher's license that they will eventually make more but that isn't always the case.

I know dozens of teachers with degrees in education and licenses from their home countries, but most of them only earn 40-50k a month.

I had hoped when they raised the qualifications needed to teach here that it would also increase salaries as there would be less competition, but it didn't.

Personally, I think 30k baht a month is a good salary if you have a partner earning the same. One person supporting a whole family on that income is tough, but instead of judging, you might respect someone for doing what they need to survive.

I am a "white guy" from the U.S.

In 1971 I got out of the U.S. Army in Vietnam, and went to work as a civilian radio repair technician with the U.S military.

My salary was $ 3.55 an hour for a 48 hour week.

I was 25 years old then

Also $150 a month "danger pay" added on.

I had Vietnamese girlfriend and a rented apartment near Tan San Nhut airport.

I was living like a king then on less than $500 a month.

That $ 500 a month bought a lot back then.

As Jimmy Buffet says in his song, "Different Latitudes, Different Attitudes".

whistling.gif

Sometimes people get paid for something they really like to do.

Sometimes some volunteers pay good money to have such an experience.

Sometimes there are people who've got families and being a teacher is a noble profession and the only way to be with the loved ones.

Sometimes it helps to make good friends on the Thai side and none of use have many Thai friends in this country.

Not mentioning the foreign dudes, mates, buddies and only god knows what else, who're constantly badmouthing each other.

Sometimes it's nice when you go shopping and an adult all in a sudden makes a wai and greets you with hello, T. M.. and you realize that the doctor talking to you was your ex- student who thanks you a lot for what you've done for him/her.

Sometimes people here make jokes that others work for lousy 33 K/month not knowing what a life style they actually live. Some of them who make such comments might not even have a job back home and live off tax payers' money.

Sometimes,if the wife also makes a few more baht, life can be very nice here, even in the northeast, and even without your own house.

Yep, sometimes life's good and it sometimes sackz. thumbsup.gif

I've seen people say on here that if you accept less than 35k you are really selling yourself short.

At another all girls school I was paid 35k. The kids were great, staff rarely bugged me, and it was very nice and comfortable.

At the other school I was expected to take attitude from some woman in the office. The kids were flat out idiots. All this for 32k. It just didn't seem worth it. I don't have a wife and kid so I bailed.

I love Thailand but working with Thai organizations is just retarded.

whistling.gif

Sometimes people get paid for something they really like to do.

Sometimes some volunteers pay good money to have such an experience.

Sometimes there are people who've got families and being a teacher is a noble profession and the only way to be with the loved ones.

Sometimes it helps to make good friends on the Thai side and none of use have many Thai friends in this country.

Not mentioning the foreign dudes, mates, buddies and only god knows what else, who're constantly badmouthing each other.

Sometimes it's nice when you go shopping and an adult all in a sudden makes a wai and greets you with hello, T. M.. and you realize that the doctor talking to you was your ex- student who thanks you a lot for what you've done for him/her.

Sometimes people here make jokes that others work for lousy 33 K/month not knowing what a life style they actually live. Some of them who make such comments might not even have a job back home and live off tax payers' money.

Sometimes,if the wife also makes a few more baht, life can be very nice here, even in the northeast, and even without your own house.

Yep, sometimes life's good and it sometimes sackz. thumbsup.gif

That's true. The part that makes me tink too mutt though, is when I see young(er) guys working in the 30k salary range to subsist here, living life in the here and now. Thinking about the future is no fun, so just avoid doing that and scrimp along month to month.

Who knows, maybe they are already flush or have other income, allowing them to go have an adventure for a while. The "while" turns into 10 years, then 20. Next thing you know, you've got gray hair, and also gray hair coming out of places you never had hair to begin with. laugh.png

Archived