Not paying taxes ?

Sean87s

Sooooooooo a friend of mine not payed taxes for a bike he owns for about 5 years since he has not been around to use it. Will this be a issue when trying to renew it ? Any fines ?

Also wonder if one owns a car and not gonna use it for some years. Can one skip on the taxes if the car is not used?

Sooooooooo a friend of mine not payed taxes for a bike he owns for about 5 years since he has not been around to use it. Will this be a issue when trying to renew it ? Any fines ?

Also wonder if one owns a car and not gonna use it for some years. Can one skip on the taxes if the car is not used?

Yes you can skip paying the taxes every year BUT when you want to use it again, or sell it, you will have to pay all the back tax and the penalty charges.

If that wasn't the case there wouldn't be many taxed cars in the country side ... would there ...

And after this time it is likely due for the technical inspection which has to be done first.

Most repair shops will also do the paperwork at DLT for a fee.

Penalty charges.are laughably small.

A Baht per month or so biggrin.png

So does anyone know how much the penalty charges actually is ? i thought they would confiscate the bike or something. Good to hear its safe to renew the taxes

I was one day late last year on the truck and it cost me 48 baht but no idea if same for a month or how that was calculated.........

To be precise 48.08 baht........

So does anyone know how much the penalty charges actually is ? i thought they would confiscate the bike or something. Good to hear its safe to renew the taxes

Why worry how much ... you just have to pay it. The penalty depends on annual cost ... the higher the annual fee the greater the penalty. It can't be much for a bike though.

biggrin.png

You have not arrived.

Leave your western law and order fears back home.

In our village the minority of motorbikes is taxed/insured.

They are old "village motorbikes" not used for distant travel.

If you don't travel around frequently with the untaxed bike nothing will happen.

And if you turn in: as described above.

Another note: quite sure that you have to clear the tax/insurance/inspection stuff before you can do transfer of ownership.

Consistent with what you would expect.

If you intend to just ride it too and fro to the local shop and whathave you,just local,you will not be bothered its mainly in the city areas that any stoppage is done,and then its mostly for coffey money,no helmet,no licence.If you intend to go around the city areas then just get it taxed and inspected,its pennies,pay the backtax,and change the docs,a miner detail,depending on the ccs but id say the whole lot for the 5 years and legally back on the road no more than 3000bk.

Of course, not having paid a registration fee for the current year and not having a 'sticker' to display means that the compulsory insurance (third party medical expenses) has not been paid in which case, the owner/rider will be liable for those charges if determined at fault following an accident.

Of course, not having paid a registration fee for the current year and not having a 'sticker' to display means that the compulsory insurance (third party medical expenses) has not been paid in which case, the owner/rider will be liable for those charges if determined at fault following an accident.

I don't think this is quite correct. I had several years of registration arrears but co tinued to renew my ckmplusary and First Class insurance coverages.

Like others have said, when I went to pay the 2-3 years arrears on my care, the extra cost (fines) amounted to a few hundred baht. This must be something of a normal thing as they made no comment...just processed like a normal annual renewal. They were probably just happy to get the money.

Why are these tax posts not in the motor forum ?

Bikes as far as I know, your green book becomes invalid after 3 years of non-payment of road tax. As I understand it, after 3 years its not a matter of simply paying the back tax, you have to go as far as the nigh impossible task of re-registering your bike.

Probably be easier to use that one for running about the village or rubber farm.

Here we go again. "Sooooooooo a friend of mine" Why can't people just write, I have a problem... blah blah blah, & get on with the story or whatever.

​Why do so many have to inquire on their friend's behalf ?

Yeah, I know, just that it's a pet peeve of mine.

Guess I'll have another beer.

Bikes as far as I know, your green book becomes invalid after 3 years of non-payment of road tax. As I understand it, after 3 years its not a matter of simply paying the back tax, you have to go as far as the nigh impossible task of re-registering your bike.

That's an interesting point!

I must admit I didn't hear that before but it would fit the usual behavior of just not paying tax and don't care about un-registering or official scrapping.

I must admit I didn't hear that before but it would fit the usual behavior of just not paying tax and don't care about un-registering or official scrapping.

Anyone have experience with re-registering a bike?

Yes your green book isn´t valid and if the bike is not registered on your name, for sure after 5 years all the transfer papers of the old owner are for nothing because the copy of ID card isn´t valid anymore

And after this time it is likely due for the technical inspection which has to be done first.

Most repair shops will also do the paperwork at DLT for a fee.

Penalty charges.are laughably small.

A Baht per month or so biggrin.png

Hi , i went to tax 2 motorcycles this week . The 3 yr old one no problem . The other one just 5 years old she would not do saying i need to check it. I went home asked my wife what they meant , ie was it a garage inspection etc .

she had not idea , neither did her 30 yr old son or 27 daughter , friends etc . Went to the local police station , they did not know .

strange country ? Perhaps you could shed some light on the subject as the only checks i can think of is a paerwork check or a vehicle safety inspection and no thai where i live (issan) knows

If the bike is over 5 years it needs to have a road worthiness check.

The inspection is contracted to outside contractors, you will see them dotted around. Their logo / sign is a yellow cog on a blue background.

They are supposed to check the brakes and whatever, but I secretly watched them take an old Honda wave we use, he rode it round to his inspection area, tested the brakes when he stopped - got off, finished his coffee, leaving the girl out front to finish the paperwork and then rode it back round.

I can't remember the cost - minimal.

You will often find the test centers outside of not far from the DLT.

The inspection is contracted to outside contractors, you will see them dotted around. Their logo / sign is a yellow cog on a blue background.

They are supposed to check the brakes and whatever, but I secretly watched them take an old Honda wave we use, he rode it round to his inspection area, tested the brakes when he stopped - got off, finished his coffee, leaving the girl out front to finish the paperwork and then rode it back round.

Cheers for the info , strange no thais or even the police know about this in my village as most of their bikes are more than 5 yrs old . I got rid of an 8 yr old bike not long ago which i had from new and taxed every year. was never asked to check it ? Perhaps none of the bikes are taxed

Cheers for the info , strange no thais or even the police know about this in my village as most of their bikes are more than 5 yrs old . I got rid of an 8 yr old bike not long ago which i had from new and taxed every year. was never asked to check it ? Perhaps none of the bikes are taxed

if you fail to renew yr tax for 3 or 5 years ,i forget which then you need to do the checks again ,possibly even re-register to get a new green book

if you paid if every one of the 8 years then you would never have this problem

if you fail to renew yr tax for 3 or 5 years ,i forget which then you need to do the checks again ,possibly even re-register to get a new green book

Went to udon to tax my bike Rocom273 was 100% correct , thanks for that . Went to the tax office and looked around and behold straight across the road was a blue sign with a yellow cog . Took my bike in got given a card no 7 . The place was very clean and professionaly run . They did cars there as well . I have never been in a thai business as clean as this one and all the guys were working , no mobile phones etc . 15 mins and 60 baht i was finished and across the road and taxed my bike in another 10 minutes.
My wife and family said they did not know about it as they do not tax bikes at 5 years old ?

Yes, I have heard this, but I would love to know if it's true or urban myth. I bought an old bike once where the tax hadn't been paid for donkeys years. I never did register it and got threatened to have it taken by the police a couple of times due to "fake" license plates. I wonder what is involved in getting it re-registered or if it's even possible.

In this case the OP is fine, he said that he had a bike for 8 years and in that time after the 5th year they didn't ask him to take it to the test center for a road worthiness check, sometimes as westerners we do get shafted, sometimes there may be a loss of face involved due to communication and we just get pushed through .. I know I have had some easy rides down at the DLT because they couldn't be bothered to really enforce the rules.