Cameron to leave EU negotiations to new PM, but says Brexit must be accepted

webfact

Cameron to leave EU negotiations to new PM, but says Brexit must be accepted
By Sarah Joanne Taylor

606x341_336861.jpg

LONDON: -- British Prime Minister David Cameron has said Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, officially beginning the process for the UK’s departure from the EU, will not be triggered “at this stage.”

He said he had spoken to EU leaders such as German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President François Hollande about needing time to prepare the next step.

The timing for Brexit was a decision for Britain to make alone, the prime minister insisted.

Before triggering Article 50, further discussions on the UK’s future relationship with the EU are needed, Cameron said. But this seems to contradict Merkel’s stance.

Speaking on Monday (June 27) she said she understands the UK needs time to work out the next step.

However, the German government has said there will be no informal talks between the UK and the EU before the nation officially announces its intention to leave.

‘It is going to be difficult’
While Cameron said he disagreed with the outcome of Thursday’s (June 23) historic vote, he said his cabinet had agreed that the decision must be accepted, effectively putting the brakes on any discussion over a possible second referendum.

“It is going to be difficult,” he said of the UK’s exit from the bloc, with “challenging new negotiations” ahead. However, he warned that Britain must not turn its back on Europe and the rest of the world.

“It was not the result I wanted, nor the outcome I believe was best for the country I love but there can be no doubt about the result.

“Of course, I don’t take back what I said about the risks. It is going to be difficult. We’ve already seen that there are going to be adjustments within our economy, complex constitutional issues and challenging new negotiation to undertake with Europe.

“But, I am clear and the cabinet agreed this morning, that the decision must be accepted and the process of implementing the decision in the best possible way must now begin,” Cameron told parliament.

He confirmed that all negotiations for Brexit would be carried out by the new prime minister, who is expected to be in place by September 2.

A new EU unit is to be created in Whitehall consisting of members of the cabinet, treasury, foreign office and business departments.

The unit will report to the whole cabinet and objectively explore what the EU’s future relationship with the EU will be, said Cameron. Oversees and regional centres of power are also to be consulted.

Leader of the opposition Jeremy Corbyn agreed with much of what Cameron had to say, but insisted whoever takes charge must ensure the security of pledged EU funding to the UK.

‘No immediate changes in circumstance’
In the first session of the House of Commons since the in-out referendum, Cameron sought to reassure UK nationals and citizens of the EU living in Britain that there will be no immediate changes in circumstances, travel and trade.

Following his speech to parliament, the prime minister said he would also do everything possible to persuade the French authorities to keep UK border controls within France.

Economic fears
He also tried to alleviate any economy-related fears the Commons and the British people had raised.

“Britain is ready to confront what the future holds from a position of strength,” he said, stating that the UK has one of strongest, major advanced economies in the world.

UK institutions have enough capital and reserves to cope with worse situations, he added.

Cameron will attend a European Council meeting as planned on Tuesday (June 28).

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-28

My prediction is that the UK will in fact not leave the EU. For one, the referundum is not legally binding and only advisory. The vast majority of the UK political establishment is against Brexit and if in office will just refuse to submitnthe Article 50 notification required to initiate the exit process. The consent of the Scottish Parliament and Northern Ireland Assemblies may be required for any government to proceed with Article 50 notification and will bw withheld. Finally, there will probably be elections called in the near future and it's likely an anti-Brexit coalition will win.

My prediction is that the UK will in fact not leave the EU. For one, the referundum is not legally binding and only advisory. The vast majority of the UK political establishment is against Brexit and if in office will just refuse to submitnthe Article 50 notification required to initiate the exit process. The consent of the Scottish Parliament and Northern Ireland Assemblies may be required for any government to proceed with Article 50 notification and will bw withheld. Finally, there will probably be elections called in the near future and it's likely an anti-Brexit coalition will win.

Very sad but true. They need the chaos now to justify staying in the EU.

So what if the pound loses 10 % or more.... the Russians took a 50 % hit and are ok.

Canadians & Australians and others took a ( gradual) devaluation.

I wouldn't put your house on that bet OMG------we voted to go into the EU as the UK, we voted to come out the EU as the UK, when important decisions are being made-----do we go to war with Iraq ---do we bomb Syria etc, we don't then say does the Northern Island assembly agree with that---(if not then we wont go to war then) --the decision is made in the UK parliament -London.

. But please as an American your allowed to fantasise sorry predict anything you wish........................coffee1.gif

The parliamentary petition which calls for a second referendum on EU membership had been signed online an incredible 3 point seven million times by Monday afternoon.

Unfortunately for the “remainers” who are desperate to reverse the referendum result, the petition has been infiltrated by internet bots. They’ve been automatically adding thousands of obviously fake signatures from as far away as Antarctica. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/928015-massive-british-referendum-petition-hijacked/?utm_source=newsletter-20160628-0715&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Edited by oxo1947

I wouldn't put your house on that bet OMG------we voted to go into the EU as the UK, we voted to come out the EU as the UK, when important decisions are being made-----do we go to war with Iraq ---do we bomb Syria etc, we don't then say does the Northern Island assembly agree with that---(if not then we wont go to war then) --the decision is made in the UK parliament -London.

. But please as an American your allowed to fantasise sorry predict anything you wish........................coffee1.gif

As you say, I'm American so I really don't have a dog in this fight. My post is just my feeling about what will happen from reading the media analysis I've seen. You heard of the "Brussels Fudge,"...get ready for the "London Fudge." ☺

I have to say the final interview when David Cameron resigned was the best of his political career, showing passion and even a tear. It is a shame that he never put in the same determination when negotiating a new deal with the EU. If he couldn't have gotten a better deal he should have said and not sugar coat the one he got. The UK public might not have given the vote they did last week. Either way I am sure on a personal note he will be fine. He is probably lining up dinners and talks now, at a million dollars a throw. If not his millions in the banks will keep him going for a while.

Very sad but true. They need the chaos now to justify staying in the EU.

So what if the pound loses 10 % or more.... the Russians took a 50 % hit and are ok.

Canadians & Australians and others took a ( gradual) devaluation.

The Russians were able to raise interest rates to defend the Ruble , the UK do not have that luxury wink.png

It is becoming clear that both within and without the UK, substantial forces are gathering in a bid to overturn the most important vote Britons have been allowed on their future in living memory.

"The British people should not be so naive as to think that their vote settles the matter. The fight has only begun. . . Remember, the Irish voted against the EU and pressure was kept on them until they reversed their vote. This is the likely fate of the British."

These are not my words, but those of a leading authority on the global political scene, Dr Paul Craig Roberts, former Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Economic Policy under Ronald Regan and associate editor of the Wall Street Journal.

His warning is echoed by a number of other leading commentators. We should take it seriously and be prepared to take on all comers if we wish to retain our right to self-government.

Link: http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2016/06/24/despite-the-vote-the-odds-are-against-britain-leaving-the-eu-paul-craig-roberts/