Disabled Brit fears for his life in Thai jail

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did he actually pick up the suitcase? If it was at the collection point in the airport, who in their right mind would leave £20000 worth of diamonds in a suitcase rather then carry them as hand luggage on the plane? And if the case was hand luggage containing £20000 of gems the owner would never had let the case out of his or her sight. And what about customs, I doubt they would let £20000 of diamonds though without duties to be paid, otherwise that would be diamond smuggling.

The man lives in Thailand married to a Thai woman. He doesn`t look 50 and too young to be on retirement receiving a pension income, he is severely disabled according to his mother, so how is he supporting himself in Thailand? Where`s his money coming from? No much of this makes any sense.

May be via a bit of smuggling say ?

no smoke without fire, i got a feeling we are not getting all the facts, his poor old mom sees nothing wrong with her boy. his first mistake was marring a Thai lady when he is physically and mentally not a 100%

Unless, of course, there is no smoke.

Not sure every one answering this OP realises the price of diamonds... it seems people are talking as if the suitcase was full of diamonds

1) The price range for 1 carat diamonds is between $3,080 and $26,950 per carat.

2) Carat is the unit of measurement used to describe the weight of diamonds. One carat is equal to 0.2 grams, or 0.007 ounces (avoirdupois)

So when I read "diamond(s) in the suitcase" if he found something maybe it was only a single ring weighting no more than a few grams, but yes easily with a value of 20,000 £ coffee1.gif

One diamond or a thousand doesn't really matter does it? it's the 20,000 pounds that is the issue

I love the "smuggling" theories :)

£20,000 is peanuts when it comes to diamonds.

Maybe they opened the suitcase and decided to keep the "treasure" because it was worth more than his clothes?

The real owner may have made a complaint about a pendant, a ring or something like that. Not a "bag of smuggled diamonds"...

I am not sure I like the sensational and alarmist way the mother tries to gather sympathy...

Edited by gerry1011

You pick up the wrong case,and because it was not yours,You throw it away.I dont think so.Im sure that you want your own case,Sounds like there was something valuable in it.Then greed got the better of him,Then was to stupid to understand that they will know who took the case.Lastest news is family of new wife driving new toyota pick up.

How would he know there was something valuable in someone else's check in luggage?

Not sure every one answering this OP realises the price of diamonds... it seems people are talking as if the suitcase was full of diamonds

1) The price range for 1 carat diamonds is between $3,080 and $26,950 per carat.

2) Carat is the unit of measurement used to describe the weight of diamonds. One carat is equal to 0.2 grams, or 0.007 ounces (avoirdupois)

So when I read "diamond(s) in the suitcase" if he found something maybe it was only a single ring weighting no more than a few grams, but yes easily with a value of 20,000 £ coffee1.gif

One diamond or a thousand doesn't really matter does it? it's the 20,000 pounds that is the issue

I understand but I only meant 20,000 £ is so easily reach with a single diamond ring, then nothing to do with importing fraudulently diamonds in the country by the suitcase owner, no one being a mule or somthing of the sort.

If the man really picked the wrong suitcase and if they found a single ring of this supposed important value it could explain why they get rid of this suitcase, the story then would not be so fishy/strange as it seems at first sight.

Plus I guess more than one people not well-off finding a ring or pendant or any jewellry with a real diamond could have had the same (stupid) temptation.

I say stupid because not reclaiming one's own luggage is fishy from the very start.

Edited by Tchooptip

"When he realised his mistake he panicked and threw it away"

why would you panic? just take it back to the airport

"Steven is severely disabled after having a large brain tumour removed in 2007. The operation lasted 10 hours and he has been left with limited sight, limited hearing, blurred vision, lack of concentration, blackouts and walks with a wobble."

Might have something to do with it.

Well that would suggest that he is unable to distinguish right from wrong at the most basic level . If thats the case he already would have been in a world of trouble and certainly unable to travel internationally, maintain a relationship and even get married.

I would take that information supplied by dear mum with a grain of salt if you know watta mean ?

i suppose he is being remanded but someone could bail him out until the hearing of his case

and the final verdict are announced.

yes life in a prison is difficult to cope with, more so for the disabled and to make matters

worse, an alien.

yet the process has to take a course. i am sure the prison authorities would, in their own interest

as well as for the image of the prisons department, take care to isolate him or ward him in hospital

ward, in case his disability is severe enough that he can not take care of himself.

the circumstances of the case appear strange. he could have just called the airline he flew with to

inform them of the mix up in the baggage.most airlines are pleased to sort out lost and missing baggage.

the original owner is protected by the terms of carriage with his claim being capped, not the tens of

thousands of pounds of contents of the bag, as alleged by him.

I understand but I only meant 20,000 £ is so easily reach with a single diamond ring, then nothing to do with importing fraudulently diamonds in the country by the suitcase owner, no one being a mule or somthing of the sort.

If the man really picked the wrong suitcase and if they found a single ring of this supposed important value it could explain why they get rid of this suitcase, the story then would not be so fishy/strange as it seems at first sight.

Plus I guess more than one people not well-off finding a ring or pendant or any jewellry with a real diamond could have had the same (stupid) temptation.

I say stupid because not reclaiming one's own luggage is fishy from the very start.

That's the best explanation I've heard so far. Answers why he threw the suit case away. And maybe the value of the ring jumpeed in value once the owner learned what happened to it.

My thoughts exactly. I understand surprise, disappointment even shock when you find out you got the wrong one, but panic? And then throw it away? Really? Perhaps there was something of extreme value in it and now he claims ignorance? Too many questions here...!

I did this about a year ago, picked up an identical suit case was in a hurry to catch my bus did not look at the labels. only noticed when it started to rain and needed a coat, took suitcase back, filled a form in and my suitcase was handed in so happy ending

If considering "Normal Behaviour" I doubt anyone would panic after by accident taking a wrong suitcase at the airport. Throwing the suitcase away, when you can just return the suitcase, would be even more strange...

However, lets say he did take the wrong suitcase and then opened it, to find valuable stuff in it. Then maybe he and the wife, decided to take that and throw the suitcase way. That would be a more "normal" explanation... and would also explain why they are keeping him in jail.

no smoke without fire, i got a feeling we are not getting all the facts, his poor old mom sees nothing wrong with her boy. his first mistake was marring a Thai lady when he is physically and mentally not a 100%

If he is that disabled, how did he get to Thailand and marry a thai girl???? blink.png

Because he is mentally unstable?

If he is that disabled, how did he get to Thailand and marry a thai girl???? blink.png

Because he is mentally unstable?

Brilliant Saakura ???

If he's not 100% and has vision problems it would be easy to pick up the wrong suitcase. The chances that it contained 20,000gbp worth of diamonds is slim. Unless you're smuggling them to launder money, you wouldn't put them in the hold. Plus, even if you were laundering, 20,000gbp of diamonds has a value of just five carats, small enough to wear on a ring, or necklace, or if there are several they wouldn't arouse suspicion in a jewellery bag in cabin luggage.

If you did put a 20,000gbp diamond in luggage, you'd surely be the first person at the baggage carousel. If he really did take them, and find them when he got home, nobody, throws it out.

Personally I don't believe a word of any of it.

have i got this correct? the thai guys (red bull heir and man who killed 2 students near ayyuthya) responsible for the death of numerous people are free and running round but a guy with physical and mental disabilities and is responsible for picking up the wrong suitcase from the airport carousel is rotting in jail? where is the UK embassy stamping its foot and screaming from the rooftops and trying to get this guy released on bail until this is sorted out? no reply required. its well known they are as weak as piss and are only concerned about the next invite to the generals dinner party and what to wear.

Taking in account his health and disabilities he needs to ask for a special pardon. Thais and foreigners have gotten it for worse crimes.

Channel 7 news and other Thai media reported on the story. Apparently the suitcase taken (on 07/04/16) belonged to an 'English business woman', not a Thai.

That is information you should not have told here.. the Thaibashers will be so sad.

So it either a fellow countrywoman that is lying or he is lying. Either way its not a Thai trying to defraud a farang and extort the money so he can get out of jail.

People pick up the wrong suitcase all the time. Only a small amount of people but its common. Most people when they realise want their own case that they left behind they don't want another person case of dirty laundry and god knows what.they call the airline, return the bag or a courier comes to pick it up.

When this guy realised he picked up the wrong bag did he not want his own suitcase? The one with his clothes and gifts for his wife etc. The one left behind on the carousel?

This is an odd story with half of the facts missing.

A business woman whom you would assume has at least average or better intelligence packs 20k of valuables into her checked baggage? Little diamonds that could fit in your pocket or hand luggage easily ?!?

It would be great to actually learn the full accurate story but this story will be forgotten tomorrow.

"Steven is severely disabled after having a large brain tumour removed in 2007. The operation lasted 10 hours and he has been left with limited sight, limited hearing, blurred vision, lack of concentration, blackouts and walks with a wobble."

Might have something to do with it.

Well that would suggest that he is unable to distinguish right from wrong at the most basic level . If thats the case he already would have been in a world of trouble and certainly unable to travel internationally, maintain a relationship and even get married.

I would take that information supplied by dear mum with a grain of salt if you know watta mean ?

No, I don't know what you mean...

However, further to my point

''He has also suffered from depression and struggles to cope with everyday life.''

Edited by Bluespunk