Americans! The Sausage King has done it....

FolkGuitar

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......and what you call a biscuit, we call a scone.

A British scone is VERY different from an American biscuit. In America, a scone is a scone, a biscuit is a biscuit.

Leave it to Thais to call a hotdog sausage.

But a hotdog IS a sausage, either a frankfurter sausage or wiener sausage. Both are very similar but with slight regional differences.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Yeah..Cyper but for me it goes back to my decade it took to become a Dr and how fortunate I was that Mom taught me how cook. My fellow interns were surviving on junk and I roasted a turkey at 3am and ate off it for a week. Here in Thailand I see people and friends jonesing for missed foods and I feel sorry for them....so many are so easy to dupicate with as much as a rice cooker.....Why waste money or savings on expensive items that are soooo easy to make and enjoy?.... I love being an armchair chef . Making unchurned salted caramel ice cream for the gf...and smoked bbq ribs for her neighbors in the am............

I usually avoid these food posts. I am American and have American tastes, as Brit's have their tastes, and Indians their tastes, etc. In my opinion it doesn't make one better than the other, just different. If I like it I don't care much what others say. I buy SK's Jimmy Dean Sausage Patties by the kilo. I eat them at home with breakfast or in a bun for lunch. The Thai GF likes them and also SK Indian curries. Here, just ask Jimmy Dean (link).

Had a nice long black hair in my G&M bacon, bought from Rimping. It's overrated, quality down.

Difficult to find these days, long black hair.

I might pay extra for that.

There's a joke in there somewhere about black hair in the sausage and the sausage in the black hair.

But I can't quite put my finger on it.

When we moved to Aus, there were 4 standouts for us with food. Mars Bars were awful, different chocolate (I figured different formula as it would melt on the shelves in milk bars), chicken and bacon both tasted like cardboard (we tried many different sources, even free range really expensive chooks) and the sausages were not good at all. We eventually found a butcher making them to English recipes (no bacon unfortunately), but he retired and his Aussie born son took over the shop and changed the recipe to one he figured more Aussies would like - we used to travel a fair distance a couple of times a year and get enough for the freezer to make the trip worthwhile, heard about him from another Brit who travelled a similarly long distance.

I've been playing around with making my own sausages for the last few years - we rarely have them, just for toad in the hole (Mr K's favourite meal) really - so I haven't been out to Sausage King for a long time, but his pork and leek sausages are/were as close to perfection as you could get.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Q. Who supplies the Jimmy Deans to the US embassy in Bangkok for last two years and supplies 50 kg / month ?

A. Sausage King Chiang Mai.

john

A link sausage man.

Just goes to show that even the USA buys counterfeit products.

44 minutes ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

How do you know they eat them?

Maybe they destroy them in public as a warning to other wrongdoers.

My statement does not say they eat them.  They could be using them for hock pucks as far as I know. But counterfeit is counterfeit.

3 hours ago, khwaibah said:

My statement does not say they eat them.  They could be using them for hock pucks as far as I know. But counterfeit is counterfeit.

Well... Not really. They aren't being called "Jimmy Dean sausages."

They are listed in his menu as "Jimmy Dean style" sausages.  Small, but significant difference.

• 6 months later...

Unfortunately, recently took a visiting English friend to Sausage King for breakfast. There were four other customers there who clearly had ordered already before we arrived. We (the only other customers) immediately ordered breakfasts and waited a full 30 minutes before the food came. Eggs were unevenly cooked and cold. The sausages and meat were lukewarm. 

The meats were tasty, if you like cold cuts, but the experience was thumbs-down, for sure. A shame since the owner was around but clearly not caring about service or quality of food experience. 

I had not gone to SK in over a year because of similar problems; seems nothing has changed now. 

2 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

The sausages would be great if not for the thick plastic sausage casings.

I think he has to use the really thick casings, as he grinds the meat for most of his sausages so fine that it's almost a liquid and would leak through a thinner case.

18 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I think he has to use the really thick casings, as he grinds the meat for most of his sausages so fine that it's almost a liquid and would leak through a thinner case.

The texture is perfect - I don't like the coarse ground 'boutique' style sausages. It's probably more due to economics and ease of assembling them. Although, the Lincolnshire sausages seem to use a thinner casing than the breakfast & dinner sausages.

Edited by JaseTheBass

From Wiki, Jimmy Dean is an American 'Style' of Sausage named after a well known US country singer.

A skinless sausage made I will suggest by the simple procedure of just flattening a Ball of Sausage meat.

I first came across this type of 'Patty' in Bangkok back in the late seventies in a US run dinner off Suckhumvit.

According to Rob of SK his Jimmy Deans go down very well with the US Embassy Bangkok, who have a standing monthly order and extra large order for their Independence Day Celebrations.

I dine regularly in SK as I do in Yummy Pizza, both have young go ahead owners who are very down to earth and approachable.

If I have problems with a meal I can speak up to the owners and have chatted with both in the last week, social matters as I find the food good and fair priced.

I would tend to agree that SK Patty's are not Hot as served but I do consider this aThai thing, one of the Thai matters I have never understood.

I was brought up to eat my food hot as soon as cooked, yet Thais will cook and leave food for hours before eating. Reminds me of the Malayan armed forces who only cooked once a day, hot breakfast then cold curry for rest of day.

As for delays in serving, very true. There are a group of young US citizens from a religious 'Institution' who arrive some morning very early say 9-9.30 and about 10 in number.

Arriving after them and you will have a long wait for SK food is cooked individually. 

Problems should be taken direct to the Boss man, it is an absolute waste of time approaching the staff even if you speak perfect Thai for they have the standard Thai attitude of, Wrong Part of the ship.

Rob, SK, are expanding across Thailand and South East Asia, his Dry Cured Bacon is finest available and I will not start on his Indian Style Curry for far too long a post this morning.

john

Edited by jonwilly

5 hours ago, jonwilly said:

From Wiki, Jimmy Dean is an American 'Style' of Sausage named after a well known US country singer.

A skinless sausage made I will suggest by the simple procedure of just flattening a Ball of Sausage meat.

I first came across this type of 'Patty' in Bangkok back in the late seventies in a US run dinner off Suckhumvit.

Point of fact; the 'patty' shape of authentic Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage comes from the packaging style. The meat is sold in a plastic cylinder about 3" in diameter, 8" long,  like a salami. To use, one slices down across it, into the required patty thickness, then remove the plastic 'skin' before cooking.

McDonald's has been using this style of sausage for its Sausage McMuffin  since the early '80's.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Ach so we live and learn. Sk JD's are ball of sausage meat flattened and the US original is a 'Tube' cut into slim disks.

Mind you I think it's the Secret spice Rob put in that gives the outstanding taste so beloved by US citizens, Bangkok wise.

john

On February 24, 2560 BE at 8:26 AM, Trujillo said:

Unfortunately, recently took a visiting English friend to Sausage King for breakfast. There were four other customers there who clearly had ordered already before we arrived. We (the only other customers) immediately ordered breakfasts and waited a full 30 minutes before the food came. Eggs were unevenly cooked and cold. The sausages and meat were lukewarm. 

The meats were tasty, if you like cold cuts, but the experience was thumbs-down, for sure. A shame since the owner was around but clearly not caring about service or quality of food experience. 

I had not gone to SK in over a year because of similar problems; seems nothing has changed now. 

omg you waited a full 30 minutes. Well listen to this, my flight was recently delayed a full 60 minutes.