Even though we voted for it, a Brexit won't happen in the end. Here's why

webfact

Filter bubble, innit? I don't know anyone who voted leave. You must hail from some bleak provincial place full of bigots, I guess.

Queensway, just across the Bayswater road from Kensington Gardens.

Mind you, I don't speak to the foreigners in the area.

But you live in Thailand, don't you, how many English Londoners do you speak to on a regular basis?

I lived in London for 15 years before moving to Thailand - so quite a few.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filter bubble, innit? I don't know anyone who voted leave. You must hail from some bleak provincial place full of bigots, I guess.

But you live in Thailand, don't you, how many English Londoners do you speak to on a regular basis?

Bayswater. London's command centre for dreary basement massage parlours (...'er so I'm told). Prostitute central of London (notwithstanding Soho). Land of backpackers and drifters and awful Arab caffs. Welcome Deary! One can just imagine some historically preserved geezer/geezerette having spent the last 40 years twitching the lace curtains as the neighbourhood has progressively gone to pot and hookers and hookahs. And now its payback time!

Ah yes, this is what one of your young educated London remainer pals looks like, I wonder what her degree was?

She's probably just practicing for her lead role in Pygmalion.

All together now, "In Hereford, Hertford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen"

Edited by MissAndry

Ah yes, this is what one of your young educated London remainer pals looks like, I wonder what her degree was?

I'm not particularly young, or especially well educated.

Although everything's relative, I guess.

Bayswater. London's command centre for dreary basement massage parlours (...'er so I'm told). Prostitute central of London (notwithstanding Soho). Land of backpackers and drifters and awful Arab caffs. Welcome Deary! One can just imagine some historically preserved geezer/geezerette having spent the last 40 years twitching the lace curtains as the neighbourhood has progressively gone to pot and hookers and hookahs. And now its payback time!

Yes, it's certainly gone to pot, my 30m2 condo is only worth 360,000gbp.

And it's one of the cheapest in the building. The view's not bad though (I'm at the top, no curtain twitching)

post-260195-0-03357000-1467466629_thumb.

Edited by MissAndry

All together now, "In Hereford, Hertford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen"

Since she is younger, brighter and more eloquent than most of you I would imagine her degree is fine.

Edited by SheungWan

Since she is younger, brighter and more eloquent than most of you I would imagine her degree is fine.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

That's so funny. It is because of your ideology that the world is full of people who think that everything should be given to them and that a degree is a measure of intelligence. How very wrong you are.

Yes, she's probably a bit better than anything you could hope to bag.

But then, not all English men need to travel to Asia to get a woman.

Edited by MissAndry

no one seems to want to commit to a plan..... not so hasty, maybe we will have a plan next year is all i hear...

I think it's more like "If I make a plan, then it'll all be my fault"

A political pass the parcel where the winner gets to fade from public life in disgrace forever.

A bit like Cameron just did, and Corbyn is about to.

Run awaaaaaaaay .........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/02/jeremy-corbyn-urged-to-retire-with-dignity-as-hard-left-recruit/

Edited by MissAndry

They do have London's oldest laundrette, though, so that's something.

I guess that's what you call cutting off your nose to spite your face.

No, most people in the UK don't care about expats living outside it.

And the exchange rates don't affect them either, except a little bit on their annual 2 week holiday.

It really doesn't make that much difference to normal people with British nationality living in the UK.

If the British pound is, say 25% down by next year, I'll just stay in my home in the UK.

If your income can't take a 10% currency fluctuation, you shouldn't be living abroad.

And the exchange rates don't affect them either, except a little bit on their annual 2 week holiday.

It really doesn't make that much difference to normal people with British nationality living in the UK.

If the British pound is, say 25% down by next year, I'll just stay in my home in the UK.

If your income can't take a 10% currency fluctuation, you shouldn't be living abroad.

I was referring to the expat pensioners.

Sorry to hear you're that close to the poverty line here, though.

"So, what's wrong with the Chinese buying up London? ".

Personally I have nothing against the Chinese, my wife is a Chinese/Thai hiso and I think they're great people.

But a gentlemen poster was complaining earlier about what's happening on the street in the UK, in London those streets used to house Brits, then Europeans, then various nationalities in different areas, then Russians and now Chinese. Friends tell me, and this confirmed by the media, that the price of property in London is now such that many wealthy foreigners can't afford to live there, many are now scouting and buying into the larger more desirable cities of the UK. As for the native Brits, well, they've been forced to rent in an increasing number of cases, especially the young as they are priced out of the market.

It seems to me that whilst we're making the UK attractive to foreign purchasers of everything in the country, especially the housing stock (not sold to wealth creators) , we don't care about the availability and affordability of housing for our own citizens. So it seems distinctly odd, if not totally bizarre, to complain about how the high cost of Eu membership and the negative effects of UK immigration whilst at the same time we're selling the country in parts to any foreigner who wants to buy it, a process that was just accelerated by the Brexit vote.

Thypical Chang Mai post. My wife is Thai/Chinese "hi so" . Is it relevant to this discussion that YOU think she is, I repeat "HI -SO" what snobbishness, but what can we expect from a mill owners son.

So you don't do satire NB, I was going to put a silly little smiley after that phrase and and add that I was special forces then I thought no, even the most imbecilic of posters who've been on TVF for any period of time will recognise that as oft repeated Thai Visa humour subject matter, seemingly not. Ah well, never mind.

And it's odd for an Englishman not to get that type of humour, are you absolutely certain you're a Brit. NB and not something else?

Anyway, 'ave to get back t' mill t'see t'lads, a'fore you know it they'll all be on their uppers and wanting a raise, bloody peasants, who do they think they are eh!

Hilarious!

I'm in York now, following Winchester and 'arrogate before that. Still not come across a genuine Brexiteer prepared to admit as much. Even on my lunch trip to Belgravia, not one. Odd eh?

No your not going to meet any in the gentlemens clubs sipping g and t's.

Now in Edinburgh. No "out of the closet" Brexiteers here either!

Any Brexiteer know what they're doing yet? Let me know if any of them have an idea. ANY IDEA!

Jamie Grierson @JamieGrierson

Demonstrators pausing outside Downing St, chanting "what's the plan?"

What do we want?

A Plan.

When do we want it?

On schedule.

There is no plan, no one seems to want to commit to a plan..... not so hasty, maybe we will have a plan next year is all i hear...

Sound's good. That's my ideal timeframe.

You see, here's the thing. You want to thumb your noses at the "elite", the "intelligencia", the "informed", the "educated", but when the chips are down, the scum don't have a clue!

The 'bumbling comedy duffer' act has somewhat lost it's shine now that your generation have voted the country into chaos over some misguided attempt to recapture something that was never really there in the first place.

Enjoy your reduced pension whilst those younger than you begin the task of cleaning up your mess. I hope you're not too upset when you realise it won't lead to all the immigrants going home and the country returning to a black & white paradise of warm beer, cricket matches on the village green, and Morris Minors.

Quite apart from the slim majority, and national divides, the stark contrast between the old and young vote really bothered me. And still does. Not only because youngsters are going to live the consequences for the next two decades, but because oldies are going to be reviled. And this on top of the meltdown in 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't scupper a SAGA cruise ship.smile.png

Young people need to get out on the streets, and protest. Public opinion could do a lot to force MPs to exercise their own preferences.

The first big lesson for youngsters though: try getting down to the polling booths next time there is an important vote.

Yes, this going to be a big problem for the young.

Pointless explaining why to the brexiteers. They will understand AFTER the event

A weird concept of 'normal people'. Anyway, if the currency declines the price of imports go up and that leads to a rise in the cost of living for products that are imported, thus putting pressure on 'ahem, 'normal people' and their savings. (BTW, note that the term 'normal people' here excludes all those lacking British nationality so presumably for example the Thai spouses of British nationals are not 'normal'). Charming. as is also the presumptuous contempt towards those on the margin.

A weird concept of 'normal people'. Anyway, if the currency declines the price of imports go up and that leads to a rise in the cost of living for products that are imported, thus putting pressure on 'ahem, 'normal people' and their savings. (BTW, note that the term 'normal people' here excludes all those lacking British nationality so presumably for example the Thai spouses of British nationals are not 'normal'). Charming. as is also the presumptuous contempt towards those on the margin.

No they don't, as I have to explain again, most products aren't priced on a 'cost plus' basis.

Because most manufacturers charge 'what the market will stand' on almost everything.

PS.

Normal British men are married to normal British women roughly their own age.

Men who habitually hire prostitutes and marry foreign sex workers half their age are not considered normal by anyone, no matter how twisted one's world view.

Edited by MissAndry

Have you forgotten about the cost increase in imports? The UK is mainly a small island. Don't think it can become self-supporting.

"So, what's wrong with the Chinese buying up London? ".

Personally I have nothing against the Chinese, my wife is a Chinese/Thai hiso and I think they're great people.

But a gentlemen poster was complaining earlier about what's happening on the street in the UK, in London those streets used to house Brits, then Europeans, then various nationalities in different areas, then Russians and now Chinese. Friends tell me, and this confirmed by the media, that the price of property in London is now such that many wealthy foreigners can't afford to live there, many are now scouting and buying into the larger more desirable cities of the UK. As for the native Brits, well, they've been forced to rent in an increasing number of cases, especially the young as they are priced out of the market.

It seems to me that whilst we're making the UK attractive to foreign purchasers of everything in the country, especially the housing stock (not sold to wealth creators) , we don't care about the availability and affordability of housing for our own citizens. So it seems distinctly odd, if not totally bizarre, to complain about how the high cost of Eu membership and the negative effects of UK immigration whilst at the same time we're selling the country in parts to any foreigner who wants to buy it, a process that was just accelerated by the Brexit vote.

Thypical Chang Mai post. My wife is Thai/Chinese "hi so" . Is it relevant to this discussion that YOU think she is, I repeat "HI -SO" what snobbishness, but what can we expect from a mill owners son.

So you don't do satire NB, I was going to put a silly little smiley after that phrase and and add that I was special forces then I thought no, even the most imbecilic of posters who've been on TVF for any period of time will recognise that as oft repeated Thai Visa humour subject matter, seemingly not. Ah well, never mind.

And it's odd for an Englishman not to get that type of humour, are you absolutely certain you're a Brit. NB and not something else?

Anyway, 'ave to get back t' mill t'see t'lads, a'fore you know it they'll all be on their uppers and wanting a raise, bloody peasants, who do they think they are eh!

Hilarious!

I'm in York now, following Winchester and 'arrogate before that. Still not come across a genuine Brexiteer prepared to admit as much. Even on my lunch trip to Belgravia, not one. Odd eh?

Any Brexiteer know what they're doing yet? Let me know if any of them have an idea. ANY IDEA!

Even worse, the govt. didn't bother to draw up any plans either - and that is the job of the govt.!

Have you forgotten about the cost increase in imports? The UK is mainly a small island. Don't think it can become self-supporting.

No, because it's a figment of your imagination.

Most imports are priced at what the local market will pay, not how much they cost to make.

I'm completely confident my Tesco Indian Kitchen ready meals will be 2 for 4gbp, price will not vary with currency fluctuations.

I'm absolutely certain my Starbucks Hazelnut and chocolate Frappichino will still be 2gbp at happy hour.

Not to mention a 12 year old Audi Quattro in fine condition will still sell for under 5,000gbp.

Edited by MissAndry

I'm not an expert in this area - but paying farmers not to produce has certainly not helped.

Again (as a non-expert), I gather there are v few small farmers left in the UK - they have sold out to big companies/farmers that know how to make the most of EU subsidies (part of the money returned to the UK).

Hilarious!

Even worse, the govt. didn't bother to draw up any plans either - and that is the job of the govt.!

Spot on!

The fact that Cameron did not draw a plan in the event of a leave vote shows both arrogance and neglect.

That said, I would rather have Cameron lead us out of Europe than any of the nominated candidates.