Going to Pai, anything interesting I should know?

Razzler1973

Apart from 'it's ruined' etc, yep, it's ALL ruined, everywhere!!

It's been 15+ years since I have been there so thought I'll check it out

I will probably get a bike, what should I be seeing?

Any particularly good food or drink places for atmosphere, view worth checking out?

Any recommendations on places to stay, by the river, I assume? Probably looking at 700-1000 baht

Check out Pai Canyon, see how much it's worn down since you were last there. tongue.png

I still like Pai even though it's changed massively and is loaded with dopey, rich Bangkokians and Chinese in search of the ole je ne sais quoi. Shouldn't be too busy this time of year though and you'll get better rates.

Ran and On at Beung Pai Farm have a nice place, though a bit out of town (towards Tha Pai Spa and the hot springs).

Dunno about eating as haven't been for couple years, but there are myriad places along the main drag, down towards the river along 'walking st' (where the bus station is), coming back along the small road parallel with the river in yellow (some nice little eateries here) and then back up towards the main drag on the route that crosses the river, completing the square... see map.

post-14998-0-49732700-1467192233_thumb.j

Bamboo Bar (over the bridge and on the left) used to be a great late night watering hole.

Have fun.

Check out Pai Canyon, see how much it's worn down since you were last there. tongue.png

I still like Pai even though it's changed massively and is loaded with dopey, rich Bangkokians and Chinese in search of the ole je ne sais quoi. Shouldn't be too busy this time of year though and you'll get better rates.

Ran and On at Beung Pai Farm have a nice place, though a bit out of town (towards Tha Pai Spa and the hot springs).

Dunno about eating as haven't been for couple years, but there are myriad places along the main drag, down towards the river along 'walking st' (where the bus station is), coming back along the small road parallel with the river in yellow (some nice little eateries here) and then back up towards the main drag on the route that crosses the river, completing the square... see map.

attachicon.gifpai.jpg

Bamboo Bar (over the bridge and on the left) used to be a great late night watering hole.

Have fun.

Cheers, river to 'town'/walking st is easily walkable, right?

I don't mind staying a bit away, 20 minutes or so walk in and out of the main drag isn't an issue, wouldn't even need the bike, I guess

1. Dont expect to get a drink after about 11.30. I was there a few months ago and the boys in brown were rousting customers out of bars and restaurants by that time, AND were forcing the street food sellers to close up and go home even earlier!

2. Be careful at Pai Canyon. The edge is literally crumbling and theres no health & safety evident at all. Quite fun watching the Chinese with their selfie sticks literally teetering on the edge to get what they see as a good ( but dangerous!) shot.

3. Unless its improved/ been completed recently, allow about a couple of hours more than you think its going to take to drive there, the road improvements are taking forever and nowhere near completed!

4. Compared to the old days, Pai is worth about three nights max these days, not much in the way of restaurants and bars.....not much to do daytime ( apart from watching the Chinese seemingly trying to kill themselves on motor cycles, at the canyon, etc!)

5. On the other hand, if you just want a total chill out for a few days without the horrendous Chiang Mai traffic, Pais your place!!!

1. Dont expect to get a drink after about 11.30. I was there a few months ago and the boys in brown were rousting customers out of bars and restaurants by that time, AND were forcing the street food sellers to close up and go home even earlier!

2. Be careful at Pai Canyon. The edge is literally crumbling and theres no health & safety evident at all. Quite fun watching the Chinese with their selfie sticks literally teetering on the edge to get what they see as a good ( but dangerous!) shot.

3. Unless its improved/ been completed recently, allow about a couple of hours more than you think its going to take to drive there, the road improvements are taking forever and nowhere near completed!

4. Compared to the old days, Pai is worth about three nights max these days, not much in the way of restaurants and bars.....not much to do daytime ( apart from watching the Chinese seemingly trying to kill themselves on motor cycles, at the canyon, etc!)

5. On the other hand, if you just want a total chill out for a few days without the horrendous Chiang Mai traffic, Pais your place!!!

Cheers, I am weighing up 3 or 4 days in Pai. I will be in Chiang Mai for a night and then Pai the following day. If I stay 4 days in Pai I'll have 2 days in Chaing Mai before my flight back to BKK. Obviously 1 less day in Pai is more more in Chiang Mai as I won't be going anywhere else. I'll probably stay 4 in Pai, as you say, more a chill out thing, see how it is now

I don't mind a few early nights either, if I have a place with a decent view I'll have some drinks on my balcony at my own place anyway, don't need to be bopping with the kids! :P

The drive in is that bad then? I will probably aim for an early as possible bus from Chiang Mai to hopefully beat any kind of traffic

Cheers

Going to Pai, anything interesting I should know?

Yes, if you take your long-term Thai g/f you will be scowled at by every FOB Gen Y social justice warrior female in sight who is looking to vent on 'sex tourists'.

I'd like to get them a 1-way ticket to Pattaya Walking Street.

Took my gf, never noticed any stares at all.

Depends on age difference .If they see a Westerner with a Thai girl young enough to be his granddaughter ,you will probably get some strange looks . I have not been in that situation myself ,but if i was i would not let it bother me .

Pai is still a great place .Really laid back compared to Chiang Mai City which is getting busier all the time .

Last time there ,about 9 months ago i stayed at Villa de Pai .Great location ,by the river and in the center of town .Quiet individual bungalows .Cheap around B450 a night .The Thai manager is a nasty piece of goods ,but other than that its great .I would stay there again .https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303916-d646054-Reviews-Villa_De_Pai-Pai_Mae_Hong_Son_Province.html

P.S, I drove up there myself and there was major construction along the road at many places .Maybe its finished by now ?No problem in a car or bus ,but could be difficult on a motorcycle .

Edited by anto

attachicon.gifpai.jpg

Have fun.

I don't mind staying a bit away, 20 minutes or so walk in and out of the main drag isn't an issue, wouldn't even need the bike, I guess

Be aware they are keep to law regarding drinking there. So if you feel like relaxing in the afternoon with a cold beer, you can't outside of regulated hours! A great way to attract tourists!

Waterfall was nice to see and climb.

Hot spring were relaxing, a bit disappointed about the facilities compare the fare they dare to ask.

driving from the village to the hot springs I stopped at an elephant place.

The village itself is just a big market for tourists. Good place for stressed people to un stress because there is really nothing to do.

attachicon.gifpai.jpg

Have fun.

Be aware they are keep to law regarding drinking there. So if you feel like relaxing in the afternoon with a cold beer, you can't outside of regulated hours! A great way to attract tourists!

The mom and pop shops were selling last time I rolled through on my bike.

Kurt

I agree that Bueng Pai Farm is the best place to stay in Pai. www.paifarm.com The owners Run and Orn have been doing it right for nearly 20 years and still maintained that old-school quaint Pai vibe that is almost extinct in Pai these days. I usually rent a bungalow on the lake and catch giant catfish from my hammock right off my deck. It's only 2.5km out of Pai centre but in the middle an tropical oasis filled with birds, fish and butterflies. You can take a look at one of the lakeside bungalows here:

Take some motion sickness tablets. You'll need them on the road up!!

I am generally pretty decent with travel stuff, will skip breakfast just in case tongue.png

Done the trip in a car recently. No problem re sickness. It is normally the passenger that gets it. The roads have been improved and are in good condition except going into Pai. That is being rebuilt. There is a nice resort we stayed at a couple of kilometres before Pai. It is on the right next to the petrol station. !000 baht a night with huge breakfast and a massive swimming pool. Well worth it.

attachicon.gifpai.jpg

Have fun.

The mom and pop shops were selling last time I rolled through on my bike.

Kurt

Mae Hong Son through to Chiang Mai were a pain at the end of last year. Ride your bike for 5 or 6 hours and want to relax with a cold beer and some food, can't.

I know you can find places if you know the area, but just stopping for lunch i find it stupid that some do gooder is enforcing this.

Pai is still a great place .

I drove up there myself and there was major construction along the road at many places .Maybe its finished by now ?No problem in a car or bus ,but could be difficult on a motorcycle .

Problem on a motorbike? Possibly when the road is muddy rolleyes.gif or do you have to drive over big rocks?

Thank you. I check the weather and plan to drive a bigger longer Tour there soon. smile.png

Don't go!

Go to Boklua in Nan province instead. Magnificent scenery and almost untouched piece of Thailand.

Looks nice - checked in Internet - but I want drive some mountain roads. thumbsup.giftongue.png

I drove up there myself and there was major construction along the road at many places .Maybe its finished by now ?No problem in a car or bus ,but could be difficult on a motorcycle .

Problem on a motorbike? Possibly when the road is muddy rolleyes.gif or do you have to drive over big rocks?

Thank you. I check the weather and plan to drive a bigger longer Tour there soon. smile.png

When they resurface and widen a road ,first they take off the existing tarmac ,leaving just a dirt surface .Now with rain coming nightly it could result in a very slippery surface .A previous poster implied that the work is mostly finished .I am not giving this warning for an expert like you ,but for others who may be considering going by motorcycle .

When they resurface and widen a road ,first they take off the existing tarmac ,leaving just a dirt surface .Now with rain coming nightly it could result in a very slippery surface .A previous poster implied that the work is mostly finished .I am not giving this warning for an expert like you ,but for others who may be considering going by motorcycle .

"not giving this warning for an expert like you" lol biggrin.png

Thank you for the "flowers" - I would be careful in muddy conditions or wait a day or two. Have no Enduro tires. wink.png

Not my wish for a Tour see photos,

14094769798_3d6ff782b0_m.jpgCrappy-Road.jpg1.jpg?i10c=img.resize(height:160)

tongue.png