iLAW to campaign for the police to stop arresting people expressing views on referendum

webfact

iLAW to campaign for the police to stop arresting people expressing views on referendum

2906002-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- iLaw, a non-governmental organization dedicated to promotion of free expressions will launch a campaign to urge the Election Commission to scrap an announcement regarding expressions on referendum and the police to stop arresting people who express their views on the referendum.

iLAW director Jon Ungphakorn said Wednesday that his organization would press on with the campaign in spite of the Constitutional Court’s unanimous ruling today that Second Paragraph of Section 61 of the Referendum Act does not contravene with the interim constitution.

He noted that the EC announcement specifying what can or cannot be done during the leadup to the referendum has deprived the people of their right to free expressions, citing the recent arrest of a group of student activists while campaigning to encourage people not to vote in the referendum.

Such an announcement has rendered the referendum illegitimate and unjust as it forces people to vote.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/170595-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-30

I'm finding it harder and harder to take Thailand seriously, or to get angry or entertained at what idiocies Thais get up to.

Frankly, I'm at thee stage where I just accept it and I've been there for a while. It's their country. As long as nobody gets in my face, I can keep my head down and take care of my business and let my wife deal with the Thais, then they can do what the hell they like.

Stay a 3rd-world country and culture until the seas dry up. Not my problem and them being poor, stupid, corrupt and a 3rd-world country will keep the cost of living down.

So long as the weather's reasonably good... thankfully, Thais can't do much to frack that up.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

why even bother with this referendum thingy? there is no discussion on it? voting on it is not being monitored so that it can be passed. it will be changed again in 4 to 6 years during the next military coup, or maybe even sooner after the red shirts win the next election. hard to understand really.

The military don't want comments on the referendum, they will just pass it and then say everyone voted for it. The people will never know the real outcome as everything is being done secretly.

We already know the outcome 99.6% in favor. Lets have a show of hands please.