Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit

webfact

Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
By Chris Cummins

606x341_337096.jpg

BRUSSELS: -- Scottish first minister Nicola Sturgeon has been in Brussels for talks with senior EU officials.

Earlier she met with President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz and European Commission President Jean Claude Junker.

Sturgeon said she was in Brussels to make the Scottish position clear following the UK referendum result to leave the EU.

Scotland voted by 62% to 38% in favour of remaining in the European Union.

Scotland faces being dragged out of the EU after the vote for Brexit something she described as a “democratic disgrace.”

She said she had received a “sympathetic“ hearing and added: “Since I have been here I’ve found enormous interest in the referendum result as you would expect and I’ve also had a sympathetic response to the position Scotland finds itself in, facing the prospect of being taken out of the European Union against out will.”

The first minister believes the visit is a preparatory step in a long process:“I’ve found doors to be open here today we are right now in unchartered territory and none of this is easy,” she said.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-30

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what I read, apparently they told her they wouldn't negotiate with her or Scotland, only the UK.

"Mariano Rajoy told a news conference following the European Council meeting in Brussels that the Scottish Government “does not have the competence” to negotiate with the European Union. He concluded: “If the United Kingdom leaves... Scotland leaves too.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/29/nicola-sturgeons-hopes-of-keeping-scotland-in-eu-dashed-by-spani/

Edited by chiang mai

Until article 50 is executed, the UK is a member in the EU and as such it would be against protocol to entertain getting involved in the politics of one of it's members. Once article 50 is executed - and a date set for exit - that could change.

It is the same reason why the leaders of many western countries like the US and Canada stated that trade negotiations with an Independent UK would not be a priority because it could be seen as interfering in internal EU affairs to encourage separation. Once the referendum result was leave, the tone changed to one of engaging with an independent Uk if that is the will of the people.

The word sympathetic is a well chosen word, you can be sympathetic but still not encourage division within the UK while it is a member.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Until article 50 is executed AND Scotland votes for independence and it is fully achieved.

Not really after the UK indicates it is leaving, the EU would not be bound by that protocol... the same reason why the tone changed after the vote but BEFOFE it was achieved.

Until article 50 is executed AND Scotland votes for independence and it is fully achieved.

Not really after the UK indicates it is leaving, the EU would not be bound by that protocol... the same reason why the tone changed after the vote but BEFOFE it was achieved.

I disagree, Scotland is a part of the UK and until it votes to be otherwise and a separation occurs, it is not in a position to negotiate with anyone.

And whilst the Eu tone may have changed, the practicalities have not and I seriously doubt they ever will, to any meaningful degree.

Edited by chiang mai

I disagree, Scotland is a part of the UK and until it votes to be otherwise and a separation occurs, it is not in a position to negotiate with anyone.

It cannot formally enter negotiations and cannot be part of the EU until their no longer part of the UK, but the tone about what is achievable assuming that is the itself about whether Scotland would be entertained would be able to change. Until the UK notifies the EU of leaving -- there is nothing to talk about with regards to Scotland staying since they are already a member.... In fact the odds of the UK actually leaving are extremely low at this point. If the UK is another Norway where there is still free movement of labour, and it abides by EU regulations and it sends dues to the EU and the only thing that changes is that the UK has no say.... nothing would actually change for Scotland - it has no independent voice in the EU now and would have none then.... but everything else is the same. The leave campaign is a complete fraud, all indications are it will not leave.... just lose it's representation.

The Guardians take on it.

Nicola Sturgeon’s plea to EU leaders meets with sympathy but little hope

The elephant in the room.

Nicola Sturgeon’s hopes of gaining support for her bid to keep Scotland in theEuropean Union despite the UK’s vote to leave have been dealt a blow after the Spanish prime minister warned: “If the United Kingdom leaves … Scotland leaves.”

Simply put. It is highly unlikely that Spain will agree to Scotland becoming a part of the EU even if Scotland separates from the rest of the UK in the future.

The Guardians take on it.

Nicola Sturgeon’s plea to EU leaders meets with sympathy but little hope

The elephant in the room.

Nicola Sturgeon’s hopes of gaining support for her bid to keep Scotland in theEuropean Union despite the UK’s vote to leave have been dealt a blow after the Spanish prime minister warned: “If the United Kingdom leaves … Scotland leaves.”

Simply put. It is highly unlikely that Spain will agree to Scotland becoming a part of the EU even if Scotland separates from the rest of the UK in the future.

that's a false syllogism

Scotland never really felt the impact of immigration from the EU ---basically because even the people from the poorer eastern Euro countries would prefer to live in London or England than there.

But let them go Pleeeaaase..........I mean they have such great financial acumen, they joined with England in the 1700s because they were bankrupt, (it had nothing to do with Mel Gibson fighting to his dying breath ) more than over half of their money had gone into a scheme what was known as the "The Darien Scheme"

They were going to go to Panama and create a company that would ship your goods across by land to ships on the other side waiting to take it to where ever.----They were going to be the biggest trading company in the world charge people lots of money to use it.....Scotland would control it all---..so all of Scotland put heaps of money In---they set sail, there was just one tiny minor issue the Scots had over looked ----no one had asked the people who owned the country (Spain) if that was OK.

So when the 2nd voyage arrived to find most of the first ones dead.......it was a little bit of an issue.

Of course it all collapsed ---The debt which was called the Equivalent Debt, & was cleared by England setting up the RBS-------Royal Bank Scotland.

The bank traces its origin to the Society of the Subscribed Equivalent Debt, which was set up by investors in the failed Company of Scotland to protect the compensation they received as part of the arrangements of the 1707 Acts of Union. The "Equivalent Society" became the "Equivalent Company" in 1724, and the new company wished to move into banking.---wiki

You can read about the "Darien Scheme"............ or as most Europeans call it the Scots Folly ----just about anywhere, ....honestly if it happened here people would be saying....."You couldn't write stuff like this---or---- Only in Thailand......etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

The Scottish people should be so angry of this move by their politicians.

I watched question time where Alex Salmond (sitting on the side of stay in the EU) being critical of the Brexit choice by the British people as he believed the wrong drivers led to the decision to leave. However, he is criticising the British people (specifically the English) for doing exactly what he wanted the Scottish people to do which was vote for independence,,(Scotland from the UK, the UK from the EU). Well the Scottish people did not but the UK people did.

I accept that the Scottish people voted to stay within the EU but the fact is Scotland is part of the UK and the overall majority must prevail, the people voted to stay in.

But, what I find worrying is the shameful knee jerk reaction by Scottish politicians quite literally running to the EU screaming "it wasn't us, it wasn't us!"

Would it not have been better to wait before running to the EU with your tail between your legs and telling them Scotland wanted to remain part of the EU independently? I can just see the discussion "it wan't us Sir, it was them pesky English Southerners". Do they think Scotland will suddenly have much more freedom in its decision making?

And would it not have been better for the Scottish people if their Politicians waited until the actually saw what deal the UK strikes with the EU first? Surely this would have been better for the Scottish people. What if the UK gains open access to the free market, retains freedom of movement but also loses a lot of bureaucracy over it's internal management? Would this not be better for Scotland as well?

This feels like decision making based upon nothing but the will of a few to divide the UK, gain independance and stick it to the English, irrespective of the real consequences for the Scottish people.

I am all for what ever the Scottish people want, if they want to leave the UK and then try and become on independent nation in the EU then good luck to them. It's just a shame there are buffoons running to Brussels like children in blind panic on behalf of the Scottish people.

It cannot formally enter negotiations and cannot be part of the EU until their no longer part of the UK, but the tone about what is achievable assuming that is the itself about whether Scotland would be entertained would be able to change. Until the UK notifies the EU of leaving -- there is nothing to talk about with regards to Scotland staying since they are already a member.... In fact the odds of the UK actually leaving are extremely low at this point. If the UK is another Norway where there is still free movement of labour, and it abides by EU regulations and it sends dues to the EU and the only thing that changes is that the UK has no say.... nothing would actually change for Scotland - it has no independent voice in the EU now and would have none then.... but everything else is the same. The leave campaign is a complete fraud, all indications are it will not leave.... just lose it's representation.

"the leave campaign is a fraud"!?

Grow up.

Scotland never really felt the impact of immigration from the EU ---basically because even the people from the poorer eastern Euro countries would prefer to live in London or England than there.

If that is the reason for the difference -- how do you explain the place with the most "affected by" immigration (London) voted to remain?

Pretty sure if there were a problem with "immigration" in Canada -- that Toronto would not be were the backlash happened (50% foreign born - even if eliminated from the poll it would come out the same).... but my almost homogeneous white protestant town I grew up in would be much more likely to have an issue with it than Toronto.

I think the people that are most likely to "feel out of place" or "have an issue with it" are the ones that have little or no experience with those scary aliens.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Until article 50 is executed, the UK is a member in the EU and as such it would be against protocol to entertain getting involved in the politics of one of it's members. Once article 50 is executed - and a date set for exit - that could change.

It is the same reason why the leaders of many western countries like the US and Canada stated that trade negotiations with an Independent UK would not be a priority because it could be seen as interfering in internal EU affairs to encourage separation. Once the referendum result was leave, the tone changed to one of engaging with an independent Uk if that is the will of the people.

The word sympathetic is a well chosen word, you can be sympathetic but still not encourage division within the UK while it is a member.

Could it really? Utter speculation. I want it that way therefore it is?

It is somewhat speculative which is why I used the word "could change".

You could also say that the same comments that were made about countries that were saying they UK would be back of the queue and pro-leave were saying... that will change after the vote.... and guess what... it changed. Why, because the circumstances changed...

It happens all the time in international relations....

Edited by bkkcanuck8

You could also say that the same comments that were made about countries that were saying they UK would be back of the queue and pro-leave were saying... that will change after the vote.... and guess what... it changed. Why, because the circumstances changed...

Using this logic, we can post anything we want: The sky could fall in, why not? it's possible.

No. If and when the UK invokes article 50, there is a 2 year negotiation period. If an exit agreement is concluded before the 2 years expires then the UK would leave on that date. If not, the UK ceases to be a member on the 2 year expiry unless an extension is granted by the EU which all remaining members must agree to.

Until it officially leaves the UK is a full member, bound by it's obligations but also entitled to all rights.

Tusk refused to meet her, stating it was inappropriate. President Hollande has stated there will be no negotiations with Scotland, only the UK of which Scotland is part. The Spanish PM has also made it clear this will not happen and discussions will only be held with the UK government.

Juncker, Schulz and the former Belgian PM who is now a MEP met her. That was their individual choice and not in any official capacity. I'm sure they are all equally sympathetic to the large number of people in England (far more than Scotland), Wales and Norther Ireland, who voted to remain too.

Sturgeon has no legal capacity to call another referendum. She can pretend she's important and center stage on the world theater but the reality is she is a glorified council leader at present, with nothing like the authority she pretends. She can petition Westminster and the UK government to request another referendum, threaten and demand as usual but in reality is a toothless paper tiger. Nor can she block Brexit as she was insisting. Nor can she declare independence without finding herself in prison. All this is an exercise in bluff from a vane and arrogant politician who has one agenda, which happens to elevate her own standing and create her a place in history, whilst ignoring the many festering issues and her real job.

She will present this as a great success, claim doors are being left open, that the leaders she met hinted at preferential entry treatment or even that Scotland,under her leadership could even remain without exiting. Whereas France and Spain have made it clear if the UK leaves, Scotland, a region of the UK leaves to. They have also made it clear that should Scotland become an independent country it could apply to join the EU. But would be subject to the same entry criteria as anyone else.

Cameron not only caused this cock up by using a referendum as a means of controlling the Tory party but has allowed this silly woman far too much latitude. A real leader would have dealt with both issues without creating the constitutional mess the UK now finds itself in.

Using this logic, we can post anything we want: The sky could fall in, why not? it's possible.

Has the sky fallen before? Does it happen regularly? A narrative is often followed and things that might be entertained are often dismissed out of hand for the sake of international relations. One of the last things that many in foreign service know is that you don't want to say things that might cause an international incident....

If the status of Scotland changes because it is now a state and not a region within a state.... then it becomes appropriate because your meeting equals.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

You are wrong. Scotland is not a member of the EU. It is a member of the UK, a region of the UK and has no entitlement to currently be a EU member.

If the UK leaves, Scotland, like other parts of the UK will leave, Should Scotland become an independent country, and that is a matter for the UK not Scotland, then it could at that point apply to join the EU. France, Spain in particular have made this very clear.

No. If and when the UK invokes article 50, there is a 2 year negotiation period. If an exit agreement is concluded before the 2 years expires then the UK would leave on that date. If not, the UK ceases to be a member on the 2 year expiry unless an extension is granted by the EU which all remaining members must agree to.

Until it officially leaves the UK is a full member, bound by it's obligations but also entitled to all rights.

Tusk refused to meet her, stating it was inappropriate. President Hollande has stated there will be no negotiations with Scotland, only the UK of which Scotland is part. The Spanish PM has also made it clear this will not happen and discussions will only be held with the UK government.

Juncker, Schulz and the former Belgian PM who is now a MEP met her. That was their individual choice and not in any official capacity. I'm sure they are all equally sympathetic to the large number of people in England (far more than Scotland), Wales and Norther Ireland, who voted to remain too.

Sturgeon has no legal capacity to call another referendum. She can pretend she's important and center stage on the world theater but the reality is she is a glorified council leader at present, with nothing like the authority she pretends. She can petition Westminster and the UK government to request another referendum, threaten and demand as usual but in reality is a toothless paper tiger. Nor can she block Brexit as she was insisting. Nor can she declare independence without finding herself in prison. All this is an exercise in bluff from a vane and arrogant politician who has one agenda, which happens to elevate her own standing and create her a place in history, whilst ignoring the many festering issues and her real job.

She will present this as a great success, claim doors are being left open, that the leaders she met hinted at preferential entry treatment or even that Scotland,under her leadership could even remain without exiting. Whereas France and Spain have made it clear if the UK leaves, Scotland, a region of the UK leaves to. They have also made it clear that should Scotland become an independent country it could apply to join the EU. But would be subject to the same entry criteria as anyone else.

Cameron not only caused this cock up by using a referendum as a means of controlling the Tory party but has allowed this silly woman far too much latitude. A real leader would have dealt with both issues without creating the constitutional mess the UK now finds itself in.

Whilst Scotland cannot specifically block Brexit, the Scottish Government can refuse to amend the Scotland Act 1998, which requires that Scots law is harmonised with EU law. This needs to be amended for Brexit to take place. Of course, Westminster has sovereignty and can amend the act themselves - that would be fun to watch.

You are wrong. Scotland is not a member of the EU. It is a member of the UK, a region of the UK and has no entitlement to currently be a EU member.

If the UK leaves, Scotland, like other parts of the UK will leave, Should Scotland become an independent country, and that is a matter for the UK not Scotland, then it could at that point apply to join the EU. France, Spain in particular have made this very clear.

Maybe the ideal solution is for England to leave the UK - that would be nice and clean for all involved.

Right now Scotland is a region within the UK - therefore it is not entertained and is not appropriate to discuss. It is what I have been saying. The UK has indicated a referendum vote for separation is acceptable as a means to leave the United Kingdom (otherwise there never would have been a referendum). Once Scotland votes for independence it is no longer a region within another country and it becomes an equal which then discussions which were not appropriate become appropriate. If the UK had never entertained the option of referendum leading to independence -- then it would have been extremely difficult.

Circumstances change, what is not appropriate suddenly becomes appropriate. Until that time they are going to stick to that narrative.

If it happens after the UK notifies but before negotiations complete.... anything can happen.

The Scottish people should be so angry of this move by their politicians.

I watched question time where Alex Salmond (sitting on the side of stay in the EU) being critical of the Brexit choice by the British people as he believed the wrong drivers led to the decision to leave. However, he is criticising the British people (specifically the English) for doing exactly what he wanted the Scottish people to do which was vote for independence,,(Scotland from the UK, the UK from the EU). Well the Scottish people did not but the UK people did.

I accept that the Scottish people voted to stay within the EU but the fact is Scotland is part of the UK and the overall majority must prevail, the people voted to stay in.

But, what I find worrying is the shameful knee jerk reaction by Scottish politicians quite literally running to the EU screaming "it wasn't us, it wasn't us!"

Would it not have been better to wait before running to the EU with your tail between your legs and telling them Scotland wanted to remain part of the EU independently? I can just see the discussion "it wan't us Sir, it was them pesky English Southerners". Do they think Scotland will suddenly have much more freedom in its decision making?

And would it not have been better for the Scottish people if their Politicians waited until the actually saw what deal the UK strikes with the EU first? Surely this would have been better for the Scottish people. What if the UK gains open access to the free market, retains freedom of movement but also loses a lot of bureaucracy over it's internal management? Would this not be better for Scotland as well?

This feels like decision making based upon nothing but the will of a few to divide the UK, gain independance and stick it to the English, irrespective of the real consequences for the Scottish people.

I am all for what ever the Scottish people want, if they want to leave the UK and then try and become on independent nation in the EU then good luck to them. It's just a shame there are buffoons running to Brussels like children in blind panic on behalf of the Scottish people.

Agree with almost all you write. You have to remember that Sturgeon and to a slightly lesser extent Salmond are extreme racists when it comes to anything English. It's another example of the double standards they apply to everything - we're not racist just hate the English; we love democracy as long as we win; we want to be part of any Brexit discussions - but will run off and try and get our own secret ones with the EU.

Whilst she was, as is the European way, treated with good manners, the French, Spanish and Mr. Tusk have made the position clear. She ran to "sir" and sir sent her back with nothing. But of course she'll hail this as a great Scottish victory achieved through her even greater leadership!

The decision of Scottish independence is a UK matter, the whole UK. Remember Stugeon doesn't speak for the majority of the Scottish people on independence, and not for the 38% in Scotland who voted to leave the EU either. But running off to Europe is typical of her arrogant self important one agenda behavior.

Maybe the ideal solution is for England to leave the UK - that would be nice and clean for all involved.

That would not be acceptable to the international community. Remember all the debt is the United Kingdoms, and Scotland does not have the population size to handle it. The debt does not get transferred, an agreement has to be reached with the creditors for Scotland to pay it's fair share of interest / principal to the United Kingdom which then handles the debt.... or an agreement has to be made with the creditors to allow the debt to be effectively sold.

Agree with almost all you write. You have to remember that Sturgeon and to a slightly lesser extent Salmond are extreme racists when it comes to anything English. It's another example of the double standards they apply to everything - we're not racist just hate the English; we love democracy as long as we win; we want to be part of any Brexit discussions - but will run off and try and get our own secret ones with the EU.

Whilst she was, as is the European way, treated with good manners, the French, Spanish and Mr. Tusk have made the position clear. She ran to "sir" and sir sent her back with nothing. But of course she'll hail this as a great Scottish victory achieved through her even greater leadership!

The decision of Scottish independence is a UK matter, the whole UK. Remember Stugeon doesn't speak for the majority of the Scottish people on independence, and not for the 38% in Scotland who voted to leave the EU either. But running off to Europe is typical of her arrogant self important one agenda behavior.

Please point out ONE thing that backs up your claim that Sturgeon and Salmond are "extreme racists when it comes to anything English".