Floor tile advice please.

malt25

Hi all.

Our house, bungalow, has typical Thai style floor tiles. Bright with hideous pattern. I'd like to change.

I realize the proper method would be to lay new tiles over existing tiles. Not at all interested in taking up the existing tiles. I was thinking, probably a bit way out, but how about painting the existing tiles ??? I assume the existing tiles would need treating with some form of acid or etching agent to permit paint to adhere.

All info, advice most welcome.

Thanks..... Mal.

I'm no expert but would be wary of painting over existing tile floor. I doubt it would look good, always look painted, and probably not wear well.

There is a previous thread on here somewhere about laying new tiles over existing ones. I think the answer was that it's possible but don't know how the raised level would effect doors and the like.

As an alternative how about vinyl floor tiles? They are much thinner than ceramic and self adhesive ones would be easy to lay.

smile.png

Actually, old tiles usually come up fairly easy due to the lower quality mortar usually used to hold them down. And with labor being so cheap removing tiles shouldn't add a big amount to the cost of the retile job.

there is paint available that will go on tiles. go to your local toa shop. needs good prep - work as in pressure cleaning and acid washing.

make sure you get non - slip surface finish for floor tiles, different from wall tile coatings.

feel tempted to do the same here, the place i live in must have been tiles with what ever leftovers the builder had in his shed...

Thanks guys.

I never considered the vinyl tiles, sounds like a plan. I'll do some research, looking, at that idea.

Tile height not a worry. I have the means to trim door bottoms if I do go down that path.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Mal.