Anyone play Brexit? aka 'Bad news buys'

Did anyone make any quick Brexit equity buys? When i saw Barclays fall 25% after the vote i jumped right in, unfortunately i am transferring my online brokerage from etrade to Charles schwab this week so could not trade on that. But i was able to buy with some smaller amount cash in my wife's brokerage and its up 6% since monday.

More broadly- i am going to start keeping a chunk of cash in my brokerage just for use in quick buying stocks of solid companies whose share price falls because of some bad news in the media (that is not related to the companies underlying fundamentals). Anyone else do something similar?

I sold BP and RDS before the exit, bought IDV, BA, and DJX on Friday...wasn't looking good on Monday, but now I'm very glad I did it. I hold BCSpD (Barclay's Preferred), and I got a little scare there, but it only went down 3-4%, and is almost back to even. I was going to buy EWH (Hong Kong)...but missed my chance. The multiples are much lower is the Asia Pacific Region.

Not a quick buy, as I'd rather wait to see they weren't in complete freefall, but I added to Allianz (ALV on Xetra) and AXA (CS on French) in EUR yesterday. Like the banks insurers got beat up. Exagerratedly so in my view.

Really don't like the UK banks at all as investments. No matter the price. So many risks in the industry and just waiting for the next disaster to happen, whether it's regulatory, mis-selling or just all round incompetence or anything else that comes along :).

Edited by fletchsmile

Not a quick buy, as I'd rather wait to see they weren't in complete freefall, but I added to Allianz (ALV on Xetra) and AXA (CS on French) in EUR yesterday. Like the banks insurers got beat up. Exagerratedly so in my view.

Really don't like the UK banks at all as investments. No matter the price. So many risks in the industry and just waiting for the next disaster to happen, whether it's regulatory, mis-selling or just all round incompetence or anything else that comes along smile.png.

I sold the last of my UK bank shares last month.

When there's trouble the government tends to nationalize them with a total loss to shareholders.

No point in taking that risk.

I didn't take any action on Friday, but on Monday I made a few buys on stocks taken down by the broader market and initiated a new position. Fundamentally sound companies IMO. Then again, it's always a crap shoot. Frustrating and exciting.

I was loaded to add to a few positions on Tues-Wed, but foiled by the "rally" 5555. Now the S&P is back in the trading range... hoping for more down side so I can add.

Edited by Nowisee

I bought 4 stocks, a tad too early, but they are all in the green again now, sold 2 of them already for a quick small gain, 2 others I plan to hold mid- or long-term. stop-loss limit set as well. no US/UK stocks, though