Teaching in Thailand. TEFL course available Khon Kaen?

Seems to be a few teaching jobs around. I don't hold a degree however worked in a corporate position training for the last 20 years for what its worth.

I intend to live here long term and am genuine about taking it seriously.

I have been offered a position even without qualifications but it appears to be out in the boonies where time travelled, fuel etc would probably negate any

money earned. Are the TEFL courses taken seriously here for eg by a government school or do you definitely need some sort of degree?

What happens once you obtain a position? I am on an OA visa. Do the school apply for a work visa on your behalf?

Are there any TEFL courses available in KK? A google search didn't reveal a lot

Any help appreciated

Text and Talk used to offer courses in Khon Kaen.

http://www.teflteachthai.com/TrainingSites_KhonKaen.html

I guess they still do.

Edit: sorry, just read the first paragraph of that link. Courses were suspended.

Do you need a TEFL?

legally - no

However, a good one will help you in a number of ways such as classroom teaching skills, language awareness, job leads, visa support, cultural training and friends. Plus, quite a few schools request one.

I guess they still do.

Edit: sorry, just read the first paragraph of that link. Courses were suspended.

Do you need a TEFL?

legally - no

However, a good one will help you in a number of ways such as classroom teaching skills, language awareness, job leads, visa support, cultural training and friends. Plus, quite a few schools request one.

Thanks mate. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I thought most schools, unless out in the sticks and desperate were insisting on degrees these days. I even heard the General state they were tired of unqualified "holiday" teachers here. Mate of mine does have a degree but he tells me all of his teaching is basically done off a computer program. He speaks the word and they repeat 4 times. Sets homework etc. Thanks again

I guess they still do.

Do you need a TEFL?

legally - no

Thanks mate. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I thought most schools, unless out in the sticks and desperate were insisting on degrees these days. I even heard the General state they were tired of unqualified "holiday" teachers here. Mate of mine does have a degree but he tells me all of his teaching is basically done off a computer program. He speaks the word and they repeat 4 times. Sets homework etc. Thanks again

Only 4 times....?

My O-A says "Employment Prohibited." However, there are reports of people claiming to have been issued a WP on a retirement extension...but quite rare. If you've taught before, I can't really see how a TEFL would help you much. There are even a few intro courses online that are free that cover some of the same basics. If you want to brush up on grammar; there are some much better free courses.

My O-A says "Employment Prohibited." However, there are reports of people claiming to have been issued a WP on a retirement extension...but quite rare. If you've taught before, I can't really see how a TEFL would help you much. There are even a few intro courses online that are free that cover some of the same basics. If you want to brush up on grammar; there are some much better free courses.

I'm sure most visas say working prohibited. That's why I'm asking what you do

Archived