Happy ending of hostage-taking drama in Chanthaburi’s Tesco Lotus

webfact

Happy ending of hostage-taking drama in Chanthaburi’s Tesco Lotus

3006004-wpcf_728x409.jpg

CHANTHABURI: -- A hostage-taking drama took place at Tesco Lotus modern trade store in Chanthaburi Thursday morning when an apparently desperate woman pointed a knife at her own grandson after she could not buy him a tablet.

The 45-year old street sweeper, Mrs Pooky as she was known, took her 8-year old grandson to the store at the latter’s insistence on her to buy him a tablet. However, she could not afford the tablet as the boy kept persisting.

Out of a sudden, the woman took the boy to the kitchenware section where she grabbed a knife and pointed at the boy’s neck.

The incident caused a scare among many morning shoppers who started gathering to find out what was happening. Then someone alerted the police who arrived shortly afterward followed by the Tha Chang mayor Mr Chalermpol Sakkham.

The mayor spent about 15 minutes talking to her and succeeded in convincing her to free the boy. He then took her to the canteen in the store for more talks until she agreed to hand over the knife to officials.

After the drama was over, the mayor bought a tablet for the boy and took both the grandmother and the boy back to their home in Tambon Tha Chang, Muang district.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/happy-ending-hostage-taking-drama-chanthaburis-tesco-lotus/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-01

This speaks a lot for Thai mentality when it comes to violence when you don't get what you want. Here we have a grandmother putting a knife to her grandsons throat in an act if anger over his wanting a tablet. Rather than just refusing the kid and examining they don't have enough money. A knife to his throat was her answer. Her punishment, a free tablet for the boy and a free ride home. Any thia reading this article would instantly see that this lady used threats of violence to get what she wanted and was rewarded for her efforts instead of punished. Thus, encouraging others to do the same. And now this kid will grow up remembering how his grandmother got his first tablet. I know Thai culture and Buddhism encourages people to do things like the mayor did. But what about the impact this will have on society and that little boy in the future? That grandmother needs psychiatric help and that boy needs to be taken far away from her. What will she do when he wants his first motorcycle? It's sad to think this type of behavior is rewarded.

This speaks a lot for Thai mentality when it comes to violence when you don't get what you want. Here we have a grandmother putting a knife to her grandsons throat in an act if anger over his wanting a tablet. Rather than just refusing the kid and examining they don't have enough money. A knife to his throat was her answer. Her punishment, a free tablet for the boy and a free ride home. Any thia reading this article would instantly see that this lady used threats of violence to get what she wanted and was rewarded for her efforts instead of punished. Thus, encouraging others to do the same. And now this kid will grow up remembering how his grandmother got his first tablet. I know Thai culture and Buddhism encourages people to do things like the mayor did. But what about the impact this will have on society and that little boy in the future? That grandmother needs psychiatric help and that boy needs to be taken far away from her. What will she do when he wants his first motorcycle? It's sad to think this type of behavior is rewarded.

Remember last year when a provisional governor stepped in and negotiated a new financial arrangement with a major moneylender to help a lady who was suicidal over her her debts ? Everyone then lived happily ever after and action against the moneylender, what moneylender ?

No clue. Simple as that really, no clue.

Imagine the long term damage to the kid... this will not be the first crisis in their relationship, though probably the most visible to the outside world.

It seems to be a part of Thai culture to have kids because they have a biological urge to procreate, then farm them out to grandma and grandpa while they're off earning (or sometimes stealing/cheating), getting drunk, sleeping around (the biological urge again)

And then they wonder why their kids behave like they do.

There's more wrong with Thai society than is obvious on the surface. To start with, suppressing feelings of anger because the culture says 'Thais must be must greng-jai'. Thais crave approval, this is why their society ppears cohesive and things like Facebook are more popular in Thailand than anywhere else in the world. Not good. A mistake lots of farang make (it often lasts 2 or 3 years before the cracks start showing), is to think that Thais are placid, accepting, accommodating. They're not, it's all motivated by fear of people with money (money=power, powerful people are people that can hurt you). It's all very repressive.

And one day,,, the pressure becomes too much, as in this story. Tip of a very big iceberg.

Many, many suitable cases for treatment in Thailand, no wonder the government doesn't release mental health stats and tries to pretend everyone is happy because they've got their 3 pillars.

Winnie.

Edited by Winniedapu

I guess you'd prefer the American way - police come into the store with weapons drawn, shoot the grandmother and if anyone else gets hit in the hit of the moment - no big deal.

The Thai way in such cases is to try to resolve the issue without violence, and by showing compassion to people. It doesn't mean that tomorrow every Thai person will take their kids to the local store and aim a knife to their necks in order to get something. Thai people CAN see the difference and I think most Thais would appraise the Mayor for his actions, not condemn him

I guess you'd prefer the American way - police come into the store with weapons drawn, shoot the grandmother and if anyone else gets hit in the hit of the moment - no big deal.

The Thai way in such cases is to try to resolve the issue without violence, and by showing compassion to people. It doesn't mean that tomorrow every Thai person will take their kids to the local store and aim a knife to their necks in order to get something. Thai people CAN see the difference and I think most Thais would appraise the Mayor for his actions, not condemn him

You seriously think this woman is fit to look after a child after this incident?

She should not be allowed anywhere near children.

The mayor should be held responsible if any harm that comes to him at a later date.

Edited by Bluespunk

Nice that it ended without any bodily harm, but I've got side with any who feel this type of bad behaviour shouldn't be rewarded, Good for the Mayor to get involved and talk the knife away from the mentally-challenged grandmother but don't buy them the %#$&ing tablet. The kid should be able to understand that it costs more than she can afford, and the grandmother should be able to explain that without going off the deep end and holding a knife to the brat. It's NOT complicated!

Edited by Inn Between

Poor people go to Tesco for electronics but they only sell very cheap brands there like AJ. They better save some more money and buy a real brandname product which lasts much longer.

The other day me and my wife were in Tesco and needed a Panasonic radio/cd for her mum. They only had AJ and the sales was very agressive trying to talk to my wife and even pushing me away to get to her. I didn't move for him and finally he got the message that he had to speak to me or nothing at all. But they even didn't have panasonic or any other good brand so it's a waste of time to visit tesco for electronics.

Edited by Thian

"When I saw the headline I thought that the hostage(s) must have been taken in a massage shop."

"Know what you mean.

I was imagining free hand-jobs and blowies in Tesco for a minute. Sick bastard."

So I guess for you it was more like a crappy ending.

The Mayor took both the Grandmother and boy home, no police involved or inquiry?

When the boy wants his mobile phone upgraded what's gonna happen, Crackpot grandma again!

A happy ending would see the bannork in prison and the kid in care. Granny at 45? It happens, for sure, but more condom use would really save the world a lot of grief.

Met a 28 yr old grandmother once...

I agree with all you are saying but with one caveat.

The Grandmother needs help, some form of counselling.

Unfortunately that doesn't happen here.

At the very least the child needs to be removed from her "care".

Who knows what she will do next?