Questions re the new questionaire at Jomtien immigration.

giddyup

A friend did his 90 day check yesterday and on arrival they asked him to complete the new questionaire re social habits, parents names, bank account numbers etc. On completion he just handed it back to the lady on the front desk, which she added to a pile of other similar forms.

My questions are, how do they know if you haven't already completed the form previously, and who, if anyone, is entering these thousands of details against names into a computer? Also, what value is any of this information, given that there is really no way of knowing if any of it is true or false?

Edited by giddyup

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my 90 day report this morning...no sign of this form....I was third in line and out pretty quickly...The official scanned the form in my passport and put in a new one in a matter of minutes....again no new form required of me.

I did my yearly retirement extension this afternoon. They have a Farang volunteer doing all the paperwork checking now. I asked him about this new form and he grinned and shook his head. Perhaps they have decided it's a waste of time, or are discussing its merits. Either way I was not asked to fill one out today.

There were 2 other forms they asked me to sign. One was about the blacklisting for overstayers, the other was about agreeing to the conditions of the extension (dependants, marriage status etc). They just love paperwork. They'll throw these into a big box and store them somewhere. Why do they bother getting us to sign these forms? If someone is caught overstaying can they avoid blacklisting on the technicality that they hadn't read and signed the form?

Edited by tropo

I did my yearly retirement extension this afternoon. They have a Farang volunteer doing all the paperwork checking now. I asked him about this new form and he grinned and shook his head. Perhaps they have decided it's a waste of time, or are discussing it's merits. Either way I was not asked to fill one out today.

Strange that they can't seem to make up their minds if it's to be used or not. Perhaps they have come to the conclusion that the information that people give may be total BS.

I did my yearly retirement extension this afternoon. They have a Farang volunteer doing all the paperwork checking now. I asked him about this new form and he grinned and shook his head. Perhaps they have decided it's a waste of time, or are discussing it's merits. Either way I was not asked to fill one out today.

Strange that they can't seem to make up their minds if it's to be used or not. Perhaps they have come to the conclusion that the information that people give may be total BS.

A while back they were doing checks on TM30's... but we hear nothing about that now. They probably put these things in a "too hard basket" as they are busy and like to move people through quickly at Jomtien. It's probably one of the best Immigration Offices in Thailand.

A while back they were doing checks on TM30's... but we hear nothing about that now. They probably put these things in a "too hard basket" as they are busy and like to move people through quickly at Jomtien. It's probably one of the best Immigration Offices in Thailand.

The form was given at the front counter, to be completed and handed in at the customers leisure, so there would be no holdup created.

I'm still curious as to what use the information was going to be and how it was going to be stored. As I pointed out, the information was only as good, ie truthful, as the person filling out the form, because other than things like address, phone number etc, there would be no way of verifying any of the other information.

I'm still curious as to what use the information was going to be and how it was going to be stored. As I pointed out, the information was only as good, ie truthful, as the person filling out the form, because other than things like address, phone number etc, there would be no way of verifying any of the other information.

Why would anyone want to give false information. unless they had something to hide. Immigration has most of your facts on file anyway, i.e. Bank details, vehicle details, etc. The notes on the form states that giving false info is an offense.

Reports from other offices around Thailand indicated that at least some locations required a photo be attached to the questionnaire. Is that the case at Jomtien?

Reports from other offices around Thailand indicated that at least some locations required a photo be attached to the questionnaire. Is that the case at Jomtien?

Yes

Why would anyone want to give false information. unless they had something to hide. Immigration has most of your facts on file anyway, i.e. Bank details, vehicle details, etc. The notes on the form states that giving false info is an offense.

Someone who has something to hide isn't going to give a hoot about it being an offence, and who's going to be checking all these "facts" anyway? Sounds like a full-time job for quite a few people to me.

Exactly, so the people with something to hide will still be hiding, so why bother trying to glean all this information from people with nothing to hide.

Some may find these questionnaires intrusive and "nanny statish", feeling that Thailand is fast becoming what they left behind back at home if not worse...

I think it's more about how people feel being asked these (stupid) questions. Next thing they'll be asking you what you eat for breakfast and asking for shopping receipts.

It is all pointless, but it does change the feel of living here as a foreigner.

I did my 90 day today and took a preprinted and part filled in form with me. They didn't seem all that concerned at thoroughly checking it or asking questions so it looks like they are 'going through the motions' rather than 'strictly enforcing compliance'. I didn't fill in the 'where do you regularly go question' as its so dumb a question. If I had answered it would be 7-11, Big C, Tesco Lotus, Macro and any bar restaurant I happen to fancy at any time etc

It just appears to be another bureaucrat's wet dream that was never thought through properly. TIT

So if they ask next, for all your Thai bank account numbers , is that ok with you ?

So if they ask next for all Bank account numbers for foreign transfers to Thai bank accounts, is that ok with you ?

The list can be very long for this BS.

Will it still be ok for you, with nothing to hide ?

Remember its an offense to lie on the forms !!!!!!!.

We also have fantastic roll modules for the truth in Thailand.

See where this is going !!!!!!

The only reason to keep gathering info like this is to use it as a lever against you down the road at

some point in time, They are not your friends or buddies. wai2.gif

I did my 90 day today and took a preprinted and part filled in form with me. They didn't seem all that concerned at thoroughly checking it or asking questions so it looks like they are 'going through the motions' rather than 'strictly enforcing compliance'. I didn't fill in the 'where do you regularly go question' as its so dumb a question. If I had answered it would be 7-11, Big C, Tesco Lotus, Macro and any bar restaurant I happen to fancy at any time etc

It just appears to be another bureaucrat's wet dream that was never thought through properly. TIT

it could be a soft introduction to a much bigger more intrusive form down the road.

and may well require some proof of answers, shock1.gifshock1.gif

Some times you need to be seen to walk around the houses before you kick the front door in. whistling.gif

Possible Taxation time for all the foreign landlords of Thailand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and maybe other inventive ways of squeezing the foreigner for more money.

Bureaucrats wet dream, i don't think so.

we will see coffee1.gif

I would not be surprised a bit to learn that there is no computer application to enter this information in their systems or more likely that the current application(s) they use is(are) still quite far a long shot from receiving the changes needed to accommodate this information. This would have required some forward thinking, collecting all the technical information needed to modify the database and application (provided that it exists and hasn't been lost), have the right people booked to do the job etc. and... TiTiIT (this is Thailand in IT, been there, have the t-shirt and know how it goes there).

So it's likely that, just a poster has seen, these forms will sit quietly in cardboard boxes for months if not forever because the powers-that-be will change their minds before their IT can handle them.

So if they ask next, for all your Thai bank account numbers , is that ok with you ?

So if they ask next for all Bank account numbers for foreign transfers to Thai bank accounts, is that ok with you ?

The only reason to keep gathering info like this is to use it as a lever against you down the road at

All expats on retirement extensions and marriage extensions have all their bank details recorded - it's a requirement. I don't see this as a problem.

If you've got multiple bank accounts I'd only list the one you have on record. Even on the extensions using the income method they still have your bank account on record as you must provide it for your first extension.

All expats on retirement extensions and marriage extensions have all their bank details recorded - it's a requirement. I don't see this as a problem.

If you've got multiple bank accounts I'd only list the one you have on record. Even on the extensions using the income method they still have your bank account on record as you must provide it for your first extension.

They will have one of your bank account details,

i have four accounts in different banks in Thailand, immigration is only aware of one wai2.gif

Hope it stays that way

Edited by onemorechang

I don't know how you can state that. If one uses the monthly income verification, then NO bank account is needed that I am aware of. Now granted, I hear someimmigration offices end up asking some sort of monthly transfer or other such thing. But I would just produce my ATM slip showing I withdrew money from my overseas bank(s). And those slips don't contain the entire bank account number.

All good questions, First the new form started off last monday so no one would have duplicated a form yet, secondly there is a large room full of people in Bangkok entering the data a photo of them was in the Bangkok post in April or May, when the immigration department made there initial announcement, and lastly , there is no way for them to tell if your giving good information or not.

I would suggest on what information you do give them that it is accurate. providing wrong information could come back and bite you in the future if the form becomes a regular thing.

I would only give them information you feel ok in providing, personally they will never get my Bank account, Social networks or places I frequent. the rest is pretty harmless.

good luck to all

All good questions, First the new form started off last monday so no one would have duplicated a form yet, secondly there is a large room full of people in Bangkok entering the data a photo of them was in the Bangkok post in April or May, when the immigration department made there initial announcement, and lastly , there is no way for them to tell if your giving good information or not.

I would suggest on what information you do give them that it is accurate. providing wrong information could come back and bite you in the future if the form becomes a regular thing.

I would only give them information you feel ok in providing, personally they will never get my Bank account, Social networks or places I frequent. the rest is pretty harmless.

good luck to all

You didn't answer my last question, what value is all this information going to have? Especially as a lot of people are going to put N/A (not applicable) against questions they'd rather not answer, as you pointed out, bank account details, social networks etc.

Edited by giddyup

I printed out the form before I did the 90 day report on Thursday and answered a few of the questions.

I handed it to the officer at the 90 report desk along with my passport. He put it in a pile on his desk without looking at it. Neither he nor the lady at the front desk gave me a form or asked for it. A few people waiting ahead of me appeared to have the form ready and others didn't. It didn't seem to matter one way or the other to the officer.

I printed out the form before I did the 90 day report on Thursday and answered a few of the questions.

I handed it to the officer at the 90 report desk along with my passport. He put it in a pile on his desk without looking at it. Neither he nor the lady at the front desk gave me a form or asked for it. A few people waiting ahead of me appeared to have the form ready and others didn't. It didn't seem to matter one way or the other to the officer.

I'll never understand why anyone hands anything to immigration that they don't explicitly require.

Even though you had the form ready, you weren't handed it and the report desk didn't ask for it.

I find it bizarre that you handed it to them.

i am certainly old enough to have excusable memory lapses. i can't even remember my own mobile number... my bank account number??? come on!

and if it wasn't for my wife telling me what i did yesterday afternoon my life would be an accumulation of blanks. just like this form will be if i ever need to fill it in.

i am certainly old enough to have excusable memory lapses. i can't even remember my own mobile number... my bank account number??? come on!

and if it wasn't for my wife telling me what i did yesterday afternoon my life would be an accumulation of blanks. just like this form will be if i ever need to fill it in.

You don't have a bank book? come on!

Exactly, so the people with something to hide will still be hiding, so why bother trying to glean all this information from people with nothing to hide.

Some may find these questionnaires intrusive and "nanny statish", feeling that Thailand is fast becoming what they left behind back at home if not worse...

I think it's more about how people feel being asked these (stupid) questions. Next thing they'll be asking you what you eat for breakfast and asking for shopping receipts.

It is all pointless, but it does change the feel of living here as a foreigner.

I wonder if any of these misguided posters who think they are "guests" in this country still think so after reading this topic.